What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I found an interesting stat during a discussion on another website. . .the Tampa Bay Rays outdraw the Tampa Bay Lightning. . .by 500 fans a game. :eek:

Think about that. . .

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Malcolm R said:
I'm not a fan of Joe Buck, either. I cringe whenever I have to watch baseball on Fox. I'm often tempted to mute the TV sound and turn on a radio broadcast.
I've hated the FOX broadcasts since they got them. NBC, CBS, hell, even TBS are all better.

I know he's not universally liked but I miss Bob Costas calling a game.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
I found an interesting stat during a discussion on another website. . .the Tampa Bay Rays outdraw the Tampa Bay Lightning. . .by 500 fans a game. :eek:

Think about that. . .
:laugh: I had to look up what sport included the TB Lightning!

I figured maybe MLS. Turned out to be NHL.

Either way. That's horrible.

TB Lightning 2013/14 Average Home Attendance: 18,151

TB Rays 2013 Average Home Attendance: 18,645 (as I mentioned in Post #433).

:blush:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I felt a small connection to Leyland as a Tiger manager.Before the Phils hired Manual, Leyland was the front runner for the job.The word is he wanted too much control. So they passed.After he was hired by Detroit I had interest in what he did with the tigers to compare what Manual did did with he Phils.Manual was hired in 2005 and Leyland the next year and Leyland went to the Series in his first season so my friends and I were not happy.As it turned out they both went to two series but Manual managed to win one of his.I still cant help to wonder if they woild have won more with Leyland.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From the Boston Globe.com:

WorldSeriesTaleTape-thumb-600x600-116663.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
The numbers make it look really close.

But even though I think the National League clubs have more of an advantage playing in the AL parks (than vice-versa), I am a bit of an AL snob and think the AL right now is just a tougher league than the NL in terms of talent and competition.

Thus, even though the numbers are close, I am calling for a Boston sweep of the Cardinals in the '13 World Series.

Why...the Red Sox haven't lost a World Series game since 1986... :laugh:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
TonyD said:
I felt a small connection to Leyland as a Tiger manager.Before the Phils hired Manual, Leyland was the front runner for the job.The word is he wanted too much control. So they passed.After he was hired by Detroit I had interest in what he did with the tigers to compare what Manual did did with he Phils.Manual was hired in 2005 and Leyland the next year and Leyland went to the Series in his first season so my friends and I were not happy.As it turned out they both went to two series but Manual managed to win one of his.I still cant help to wonder if they woild have won more with Leyland.
Oh, I remember when people would call the radio station, not only expressing their outrage over the hire of Manuel, but also how Wade did not get fired while fan favorite Bowa did.

Still, it turned out well, since I got to see a championship in this city, something I may not see for a very long time, if ever. If Phils picked Leyland, I think the difference would have been, more playoff appearances. Strangely enough, like Manuel, Leyland also got outmanaged by LaRussa and Bochy in the postseason.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ladies & Gentlemen: The three top plays from the recently concluded Championship Series:

I nearly busted my gut at the reenactment of the Ortiz grand slam.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
Strangely enough, like Manuel, Leyland also got outmanaged by LaRussa and Bochy in the postseason.
And by Farrell. Leyland kinda over-thunk some things.

IIRC, the Ortiz grand slam was the first time in post-season history (or the first time in more than 100 years or so) that four RBIs were attributed to four different pitchers with one swing of the bat. And there were a couple of times when the Tigers ran themselves out of some good situations.

It's always hard to tell if specific events were the product of specific game managing moves, but I know Leyland would lay claim to them to protect his players.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Since I love baseball I will watch the series but really it is hard to like either of these teams because of their fan bases.

On the one hand we have the Red Sox with their boorish and obnoxious fans that are for some reason on par with Yankees fans. Seriously I can understand Yankee fans since the Yankees are unquestionably the most successful sport franchise ever. The Sox on the other hand are nowhere close yet their fans often act like they have a long history of winning.

On the other hand you have St. Louis Cardinal fans that are just as bad but in a Midwestern passive aggressive way.

Maybe Bud can find some way to cancel the series.

Now the games themselves should be interesting, really have no feel for who is going to win but since I’m a NL fan in general I’ll say the Cards win this one.

There have been a lot of off season activity; I think I’ll start the Hot Stove thread today.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's very ironic to me, as I find the A's fans to be the most obnoxious. I've never mentioned it, since I know it's your team. :D

it was shitty the way the Sox fans rode Wil Myers so mercilessly, and the Red Sox are definitely the ugliest guys in baseball. Otherwise, I got no dog in the fight.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
They aren't my team so mention it all you want. Even if they were I would not care so again mention it all you want.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Greg_S_H said:
That's very ironic to me, as I find the A's fans to be the most obnoxious. I've never mentioned it, since I know it's your team. :D it was shitty the way the Sox fans rode Wil Myers so mercilessly, and the Red Sox are definitely the ugliest guys in baseball. Otherwise, I got no dog in the fight.
A's fans?Ive never heard anything about them or that the A's have fans at all.I think Patrick is dead on with the fans of both teams, present company not included.The Sawx have 2 wins in a hundred years, same as the Phils.The only thing about the Cards is the team has the second most titles in baseball behind the Yanks from what I remember, so there mitht be a legit reason for those fans to have a little yankee arrogance in them.I just get annoyed when I hear the baseball heaven stuff.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Somebody here is an A's fan. I guess I got that wrong.

Hope it wasn't a thread crap to say they're ugly. By that I mean those awful beards that you fans seem to love. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.