Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
And don't think I don't appreciate it! :biggrin:

Damn fine All-Star game tonight!

But I really hated to see Cano get hit in the first inning. That's just horrible. Glad to hear it's not a bad injury.
No different than how the rest of the season has gone for the Yankees.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
As a lifelong Red Sox fan, it was really an interesting feeling rooting for Rivera last night. When he came out to the mound, I had chills as I stared at baseball history. His All-Star 'send-off' was very, very well done, and to see him as the lone person on the diamond -- wow. At first I was a bit confused as to why Leyland had him come out to pitch the eighth instead of the ninth, but the commentators cleared that up for me after the game was completed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
At first I was a bit confused as to why Leyland had him come out to pitch the eighth instead of the ninth, but the commentators cleared that up for me after the game was completed.
I've been busy, Scott and am wondering about that myself. Enlighten me.

I would have been a bit more comfortable in the 9th knowing that Mo was going to come in and close out the game for my team...for once! :laugh:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He was concerned that if the NL were to rally and take a lead into the ninth, there would be no opportunity for him to pitch. You got Joe Nathan for the save, so you were in good hands! :)

I watched Mo's walkup again a little while ago. That's going to be one for the ages.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I figured it had to be something like that...but if Nathan pitched the eighth, it shoulda (coulda woulda) locked Mo for the 9th--theoretically.

I would have liked to see Leyland take that risk. The payoff would have been worth it.

But it all worked out.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Rangers have been playing some really shitty baseball these past couple of months (to be honest, the offense has been asleep all year), but they keep catching breaks. Can't believe the Agnels beat the A's 8 to 3 tonight. Lately, they lose when we lose, but it can't last. They either turn things around, or watch themselves sink.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
I remember George Scott fondly from the 1960s and early 1970s Boston Red Sox teams. Rest in peace, Boomer.
George Scott--just a couple of years ago--managed the Sox' Single-A team--the Lowell Spinners. They play our local club the Tri-City Valley Cats (Houston Astros Single-A). So, since I cut my teeth on the "Impossible Dream" team of 1967, I went to a game specifically to get Scott's autograph on a ball. I chatted up the local park's media guy and told him what I hoped to accomplish. He tipped me off on where to go to make sure I would be able to ask Scott, after the game, to sign. So, after the game, I got in position. Scott lingered in their dug out and saw me waiting. I held up the ball and pen (bear in mind I was the only person there waiting for this honor) and he ingloriously waved me off.

The end. :biggrin:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,What a bummer. Sorry to hear that. On somewhat of a related note, I really, really miss my baseball card collection that I began collecting around 1965.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks to my mom (the "saint"), I am still enjoying mine. :biggrin:

And my comics, too.
jawdrop.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,So, what do you think? When I first heard on the radio this morning that Iglesias had been traded to the Tigers for Villarreal, my heart sank. I realize that Iglesias is in a slump, but all players have slumps. And I love his defense, and he is after all batting over .330. But then I remembered Bogaerts (he will be coming up soon), and when I found out that former Cy Young Award winner Peavy had come to the Hose as a result of the three-team trade, I felt a whole lot better. :)

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/9523880/jake-peavy-boston-red-sox-3-team-deal-involving-chicago-white-sox-detroit-tigers

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't have huge hopes for Peavey, but Iglesias was expendable (hello, Xander Bogaerts) and this lets them move Workman and/ or Dempster to the bullpen, which is their real need.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I figure they must be REALLY concerned about Buchholz and Peavy gives them some breathing room if the wheels come off the pitching staff down the stretch.

I hate to see Iglesias go, much like I hated to see Ciriaco go. And, Hanley Ramirez. And Nomar, Renteria, AGon and Orlando Cabrera. :laugh:

I guess they have confidence that Drew will be their gap until Bogaerts moves up. Bogaerts has the same buzz about him that Hanley Ramirez (the traded "untouchable") did.

From boston.com (revolving door of Red Sox shortstops):
Games started at shortstop for Red Sox 2004-13

Lugo 245Scutaro 234Gonzalez 153Renteria 150Lowrie 130Aviles 129Cora 112Drew 74Green 74Cabrera 57Reese 57Iglesias 51Garciaparra 35Ciriaco 28Navarro 8Crespo 7Vazquez 6Pedroia 5Punto 5

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Holy schnikes! I saw that 5 run comeback in the ninth on Quick Pitch. Dayum. That kind of thing has a way of taking the win out of a team's sails. The Mariners aren't much of a threat in the standings, but I'll take it.

I wish Dempster was doing better, but the little I've followed of him this year looks like a repeat of his time with the Rangers last season. Great guy, great teammate, but struggles against the good offenses.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg,I know. When I saw that the BoSox had scored six runs in the bottom of the ninth, my jaw dropped. The last I knew it was 7-2 Seattle in the top of the ninth inning. I wish that game had been televised. At least I caught a lot of the highlights after it was over.

Dempster has been pretty much a bust in my opinion. I thought he would be much better. If (and this is a huge if) Buchholz could get healthy, I'd take a starting rotation of Buchholz, Lester, Lackey, and Peavy for the playoffs. And this number might get trimmed to three at that time, but it would be nice to have a solid fourth starter for the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread