What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Vin changed his mind, and did not travel to New York after all.They ended up playing the entire "series" on one day, anyway, because the Tuesday game was rained-out, so they played two games on Wednesday.The TV broadcasters for the games Vin skips are Eric Collins and Steve Lyons.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Btw I don't know what the cost is right now but a couple weeks ago it was only $50 for MLB tv.This includes the MLB at bat app and allows you to watch or listen to all the games via computer and several devices including Roku and some bluray players including ps3.This is how I will be watching the Phils in Florida.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I am an "original" Brooklyn Dodger fan. The Dodgers have always had good announcer. Before Vin was Red Barber. My favorite announcer of any sport is Vin Scully and a prized possesion is the1988 World Series with the LA Dodgers Vs Oakland with Vin Skully. You should get that as an example of Vin Skully. THE BIG Ravalry then was NOT the NYY and Red Sox BUT NYY and the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
MLB.tv is currently $79.99. I bought it at $99.99.

I don't dislike the Rangers TV guys, but they do have moments that drive me nuts. Yesterday, David Murphy stole second on ball four. He thought he was out, so he stepped off the bag. He finally figured it out, but was again tagged and legitimately out. The color commentator picked this apart for the next ten minutes. We got it. Move on. His big pet peeve is a badly executed rundown. He'll go on for the rest of the inning and into the next telling what should have been done. Until partway through last season, he would literally take a full inning to talk about who sent dessert to the booth along with a description of each. Dubbed "Cookie Talk," it was at its worst when he said, "To viewers who don't like this segment, change your channel for the next half inning or so." That must have caused a firestorm, because he shortly dropped the segment and directed people to a website showing off the goods. Before long, even those mentions were dropped. He kept rattling off the birthdays of anyone who wanted a mention. This year, he's been restricted to birthdays 80 and up.

The other guy came from radio, and he gives way more description than is needed for TV. "Now he's stepping into the box and taking a few practice swings!" He's another of the, "That ball is hammered! Ichiro's going back! He's still going back! And he has it, right in front of the warning track!"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dodgers down 16-1 have a position player pitching in the ninth.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
Awesome!

And the Indians beat the White Sox in both ends of a double-header today...by the scores of 19-10 and 9-8! The box scores indicate that the two teams used a total of 20 pitchers over the two games! :eek:

The box score says the first game took 4:02...but I can't find a time for Game #2. I guess there was a rain delay, however, in between games. :excl:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:
And here's what happened (courtesy mlb.com)!
Helping to save the bullpen, infielder Skip Schumaker pinch-hit for Brandon League in the eighth and took the mound in the ninth.

He turned in his second scoreless inning of the season (April 29), working around a hit and two walks.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have no idea what monies the Red Sox have available for trading. But I would love to see the following starting rotation for the BoSox as we move into the second half of the season:BuchholzLesterLackeyDempsterGarza :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I would rather see them go after Gregg. We have enough starters for the postseason, but the 'pen needs shorin'.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,

That's a fair point, especially for the postseason, where teams typically reduce to three starters. That being said, I have to admit that I don't know very much about Gregg. I'm going to have to look up his career statistics and see how he might help the Hose.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Homer Bailey no-hit the Giants today for his second no-hitter of his career. He has thrown the last two no-hitter in baseball.With the loss the Giants might be in last place a the end of the day. They are lucky they play in the NL West so they are still in the ace for the decision. If they were in the Central their only hope would be the Wild Card.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Red Sox have two games remaining with the Padres before embarking on a ten-game road trip out west. They generally have difficulty with this road trip. I'd love for them somehow to be in first place when they return for the All-Star game on July 16th.

Go Red Sox! :)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Patrick_S said:
Homer Bailey no-hit the Giants today for his second no-hitter of his career. He has thrown the last two no-hitter in baseball.With the loss the Giants might be in last place a the end of the day. They are lucky they play in the NL West so they are still in the ace for the decision. If they were in the Central their only hope would be the Wild Card.
Which brings me to a very sad story. I live around twenty-minutes from Cincinnati and I take my son to anywhere from 6-8 games a year. I've already taken him to three this year and I freakin' bought tickets to this one but my girlfriend (who I might leave now...seriously) decided it was too hot to go. Yes, after going to countless games, I get my chance to see history and I'm a sucker who had tickets but didn't go.

While watching the game on television, around the six inning I started to dread what I had done and when the final out was made I got really, really depressed knowing the history that I had missed. You just never know when you're going to witness something like this and to have tickets and no go is just downright depressing. Even after a night's sleep it didn't feel any better in the morning.

The funny thing is that the day after most people are talking about Bailey cuss/rant at Reds announcer Marty Brennaman after the game.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Michael Elliott said:
Which brings me to a very sad story. I live around twenty-minutes from Cincinnati and I take my son to anywhere from 6-8 games a year. I've already taken him to three this year and I freakin' bought tickets to this one but my girlfriend (who I might leave now...seriously) decided it was too hot to go. Yes, after going to countless games, I get my chance to see history and I'm a sucker who had tickets but didn't go.

While watching the game on television, around the six inning I started to dread what I had done and when the final out was made I got really, really depressed knowing the history that I had missed. You just never know when you're going to witness something like this and to have tickets and no go is just downright depressing. Even after a night's sleep it didn't feel any better in the morning.
I know the feeling, as I can remember a group of my friends deciding to go to a Phillies game back in 1990. I assumed my parents would have said no, so I told the friends that I could not go. Turned out that game would be a no-hitter by Terry Mulholland. Later, my mom told me that I would have been allowed to go.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
TonyD said:
Btw I don't know what the cost is right now but a couple weeks ago it was only $50 for MLB tv.This includes the MLB at bat app and allows you to watch or listen to all the gamesvia computer and several devices including Roku and some bluray players including ps3.This is how I will be watching the Phils in Florida.
[rant ON]
Not in my experience. MLB tv has the same restrictions that regular broadcasts have. If you are in the home area of a team then their broadcasts will not be available. So since I'm in Scranton, PA if the Pirates are playing the Dodgers in LA, the game will not be seen my me (live) since I'm only 300 miles (4.5 hours) from Pittsburgh.

Please note that because of this I do not own MLB tv. These comments are based on information from several friends who own the package. As a Braves fan, I do not want games with the Pirates, Mets, Yankees, Phillies, and probably some other team blacked out if I'm paying the same amount of money that other people are playing to get non-blacked out games.
[rant off]

At this time in my life (I'm 70) I have ceased to be a baseball fan and most of my friends who used to be baseball fans have too. I'm a fan of one team but do not care as much as I used to about other teams except as may affect playoff chances. What I would really like to see is a package from MLB that would include home and away coverage for one team. I would pay a reasonable price ($50 for an entire season) if no games were blacked out. A black out for LOCAL (within 50 miles as the crow drives) games would be acceptable [especially since I don't live within 50 miles of any MLB stadium]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't know where your info comes from. Blackout rules are local only. In florida I can watch or listen to any feed I want for Phils games. Maybe Scranton is part of the Pittsburgh market so mlbtv blacks it out. Here in Philly I can choose home or away radio feeds for EVERY gameYour rant section is a little hard to follow and the rest comes across as hey you get off my lawn.Don't quote me but blackouts are usually in the 100 mile range.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's ridiculous that I can't watch Houston games in Dallas. We're really not that close, and the games aren't broadcast here.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That's nuts. Are you saying that this is the MLB app and mlbtv or just general over the air games on Fox or The Basaeball network?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.