What's new

2012 Box Office (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
They're the same freaks that make studios cut movies down to please those who are going to push the opening weekend box office. I read an article somewhere about the types that give these ratings and it really did seem that there were a few select theaters that the ratings were taken from. People knew going in that they were going to be a part of the rating so quite often you get people watching movies they normally wouldn't see but they're doing so because they feel having the power to rate makes them a critic or something. I haven't seen CABIN yet but perhaps it got a lot of "F" ratings from people who simply didn't like that kind of movie. I read THE THREE STOOGES got an A from young people but older ones gave it a C. Perhaps those older people just couldn't get the originals out of their minds or were some of those constantly upset that they were being remade.
DRIVE getting a "C" is enough for me.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott /t/319701/2012-box-office#post_3916992
DRIVE getting a "C" is enough for me.

Drive is an apt comparison to Cabin in the Woods. Both films take standard formula and deny the audience their expectations, completely eviscerating their perceived genres. People who went to see Drive expecting The Fast and the Furious because its a "car chase" movie generally ended up hating it. Cabin in the Woods does the same thing for the standard slasher horror crowd, saying "you expect typical horror tropes? DENIED!"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I should not that I personally loved Cabin in the Woods, and wasn't posting the CinemaScore to disparage it. CinemaScores don't predict quality in anyway, but they do play a role in attendance. As Malcolm said, a low score generally leaves studios bracing for a big drop off in the second weekend.
In the case of "Cabin in the Woods", I think the dissatisfaction comes from the mismatch between what audiences thought they were getting and what they got. The trailers gave no hint that audiences would be in for a satire.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/319701/2012-box-office#post_3917648
The trailers gave no hint that audiences would be in for a satire.
Well, it gave one small hint, with the "Let's split up." "Really?" exchange. That's the part of the trailer that draws me, along with Wheddon's name.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brandon Conway said:
Well, it gave one small hint, with the "Let's split up." "Really?" exchange. That's the part of the trailer that draws me, along with Wheddon's name.
Based on the trailer, I expected the Joss Whedon version of The Evil Dead. With Whedon and Drew Goddard writing, I knew there'd be jokes but I still expected a fairly straight-up horror movie (like how Scream is a horror movie but it also makes fun of stereotypes in the genre). However, I was perfectly happy with having seen a movie where I expected one thing and got something else entirely.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think it goes back to people seeing trailers that give away EVERYTHING and then people getting disappointed if the movie isn't the trailer. Case in point: THE LUCKY ONE. I've seen so many trailers for this thing and I really don't see how there's any room there for anything "new" or any type of twist. You can pretty much spell out the entire movie just by the trailer. I'm not going to see the movie to see if I'm right but there have been many other examples. Here lately if a trailer comes on and I want to see the movie I just lower my head because I know too much is going to be given away. EVERYBODY'S FINE had a trailer making you feel like it was the feel good comedy of the year when in fact it was a very dark drama. No wonder some got suckered into it and then got pissed when it wasn't what they offered. I'm sure the same is true for DRIVE and CABIN's low ratings.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hunger Games becomes the first film of 2012 to pass $500M at the box office; with $341 domestic and $200 now tallied international, it's officially over. This is a HUGE success for Lionsgate

tahahaiyat

Auditioning
Real Name
Taha Haiyat
Heyy Guys visit this site now for compressed movies without losing the HD Quality...And one more thing please read the article there first and then download the movies...You can request for the latest movies !!!Thanx
www.legitsofts.blogspot.com

tahahaiyat

Auditioning
Real Name
Taha Haiyat
Heyy Guys visit this site now for compressed movies without losing the HD Quality...And one more thing please read the article there first and then download the movies...You can request for the latest movies !!!Thanx
www.legitsofts.blogspot.com

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
EricW said:
any industry projections on Avengers domestic?
It's set to be pretty huge. It's already made over $36 million in its first two (non-weekend) days overseas, without opening in a single theater in North America. It's set to open in over 4,000 theaters across the US and Canada Friday. Current tracking puts the domestic three-day opening weekend in the range of $150-170 million.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i have a bet with a co-worker over which movie would open bigger; i picked Avengers, he picked Hunger Games. this bet was made about 2 weeks before the HG opening, so i initially thought i was pretty safe. then HG fulfulled/surpassed expectations, so i was worried. but it should be close...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This week's Top Ten:

1. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) Week 2 [2,015 Theaters] PG13 Friday $5.5M, Saturday $7.8, Weekend $17.7M (-48%), Cume $60.6M

The studio has to be happy with the showing of "Think Like a Man" which will be #1 again this week; this is a low budget vehicle that overachieved it's first weekend and in it's second weekend had far less drop then was expected.

2. The Lucky One (Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,175 Theaters] PG13 Friday $3.9M, Saturday $4.7M, Weekend $11.6M (-49%), Cume $40.1M

3. Pirates! Band of Misfits (Sony) NEW [3,358 Theaters] PG Friday $2.7M, Saturday $5.2M, Weekend $11.5M

4. The Five-Year Engagement (Universal) NEW [2,936 Theaters] R Friday $3.5M, Saturday$4.7M, Weekend $11.0M

Judd Apatow's "The Five Year Engagement" just didn't seem to work for theater goers. The original expectations were in the high teens/low twenties for the weekend, $11M is a serious down from those.

5. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 6 [3,572 Theaters] PG13 Friday $2.9M, Saturday $4.7M, Weekend $10.7M, Cume $372.0M

The Hunger games stays strong, another weekend over $10M in the books, it's technically possible that Hunger Games & The Five Year Engagement flip flop for 4/5 based on tracking and previous Sunday matinees, we'll have to see. But the Hunger Games will now break $375M somewhere in the middle of the week. This will be it's last weekend with this kind of theater count though - films like Avengers will take many of those screens.

6. Safe (Lionsgate) NEW [2,266 Theaters] R Friday $2.6M, Saturday $3.2M, Weekend $7.7M,

7. The Raven (Intrepid/Relativity) NEW [2,203 Theaters] R Friday $2.5M, Saturday $3.0, Weekend $7.5M,

The other new release this weekend didn't have as wide a distribution but didn't find much traction either... that said, it's per screen average is higher then The Five Year Engagement.

8. Chimpanzee (Disney) Week 2 [1,567 Theaters] G Friday $1.6M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $5.6M, Cume $19.3M

9. The Three Stooges (Fox) Week 3 [3,105 Theaters] PG Friday $1.3M, Saturday $2.4M, Weekend $5.5M, Cume $37.2M

10. Cabin In The Woods (Lionsgate) Week 3 [2,639 Theaters] R Friday $1.4M, Saturday $2.0M, Weekend $4.7M, Cume $34.8M

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hunger Games passes $600M globally today.. $372 domestic, $229 international. It still has a few international release dates yet - how far it goes is hard to tell on the global front.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Hunger Games passes $600M globally today.. $372 domestic, $229 international.   It still has a few international release dates yet - how far it goes is hard to tell on the global front.
My father had recently read the books and wanted to see it, so we went to an IMAX showing last night. Even this late in the run, the theater was probably half full.
The Avengers has raked in $178.4 Million overseas in just five days, taking first place in all 39 foreign markets and setting opening weekend records in 12 of them. The film has made back more than 80 percent of its budget before opening in a single theater on American shores.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In the eight days before The Avengers opened domestically, the film has racked up $281.1 million overseas in a mere eight days. To put that astounding figure into perspective, The Avengers has already passed the overseas box office tallies of Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man and Thor over their entire runs.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Avengers made $18.7 million from midnight shows in the US and Canada last night, putting it slightly behind the $19.7 million start for The Hunger Games in March. The Hunger Games went on to make $152.3 million in its opening weekend, so expect The Avengers to track slightly below that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/319701/2012-box-office/30#post_3922780
The Avengers made $18.7 million from midnight shows in the US and Canada last night, putting it slightly behind the $19.7 million start for The Hunger Games in March. The Hunger Games went on to make $152.3 million in its opening weekend, so expect The Avengers to track slightly below that.
I'm not so sure about that as I couldn't believe the number of kids in the 10:00 a.m. showing of it today with their parents. What is it, skip school on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks