2011-2012 Hot Stove League (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
And I'm just verklempt that the Red Sox have hired a new manager with no notice in this thread. I, for one, think that Bobby Valentine is a good choice for Boston. 
Mike, I too like this choice. Let's hope it bodes well for the BoSox. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder how he figured he'd get away with it.

I'm also wondering how many other players will start shrinking now that MLB is poised to start testing for HGH.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good golly.

The details of the new proposed CBA coming out of MLB are enough to make my head spin:

• More replay (including fair/foul, fan interference, and even plays on the field. For example, if a fielder traps a ball).
  • An extra day at the All-Star break (what happened to keeping the season from getting longer?)
  • More inter-league play (Ugh.)
  • Potential fines of up to $10,000 if a hitter or pitcher delays a game between pitches.

There are also a bunch of rules to govern player behavior, limit the types of tattoos they can get/display and even govern their social media usage and how they inscribe theie equipment with their name.

I hate the use of replay in baseball. And I knew once the door was opened to using replay to determine home run calls that it would only continue to insinuate further into the game. it is only a matter of time until it is used to determine plays at the bases. And, I hate interleague play. I guess I must be in the minority on these things...although I'm not convinced of that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike, I think the DH is being considered again too for the NL. At least this is what I heard recently on a major sports program. I hope the NL doesn't adopt it, as I like keeping as much variety between the two leagues as is possible.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well third time trying to post something as HTF keeps crashing my iPad. Anyway the extra day at the break isn't even a thing, the Phils and at least one other team had four days off, I doubt it would extend the season. I'm mixed on the DH, I don't know what to think about it anymore.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

• More inter-league play (Ugh.)

I just learned that is due to the Astros moving to the AL. I wonder what it will mean for games within the league, but outside the division. And I really hope the home-and-home natural rivals' series on an annual basis, is done away with, as it makes some schedules a lot more unfair. Not likely though, as the owners of those teams will cry that they will lose potential revenue.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C

But, really. To institutionalize interleague play into the schedule...out of necessity--is an extremely bad idea. It has been bad enough to include it as an option that has been put into play each of the last several years.

But now there's not going to be any getting around it...until the next reorganization of the leagues. And that's not something that happens too often. Nor should it happen all that often. It has happened too much as it is!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You good with losing Montero, Robert?

It seems like the Yanks decided awhile ago that he just didn't have the stuff to be their catcher of the future.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

You good with losing Montero, Robert?

It seems like the Yanks decided awhile ago that he just didn't have the stuff to be their catcher of the future.

I am, but some other Yankee fans are having some emotional issues with it. You can't be a prospect hugger and a Yankee fan. It's not as bad as it was when George was in his prime and trading every young player under the sun. However, it's a terrible combination that will cause you some heartache at times. If Montero was going to be a full-time catcher, I don't think this trade goes down, but as a DH, I can see the logic in it.

What surprises me about this trade and the signing of Kuroda is how fast those deals went down without the media knowing about it. It's probably one of the reasons why I like Cashman so much and why I'm gaining more respect for Hal Steinbrenner, who is far from the media hog his father was.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Wow, what an addition for the Tigers. Cabrera has agreed to play third base. Now if the Red Sox could get Oswalt, I'd be quite pleased. ;) http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7498284/detroit-tigers-reportedly-land-prince-fielder-214m-offer

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just 10 days and a few hours until pitchers and catchers officially report (for the Red Sox).

We are thisclose to getting back to our national pastime!

I'm not a big football fan, but after watching much of the NFL playoffs, I am more down than ever on the use of instant replay in big-time sports. I just can't see any way to use it well. This is one of the things I fear the most as we head into the '12 season.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I'm debating whether or not to go to a spring training game at the ESPN Wide World of Sports, and whether it's worth giving up a few hours at a Disney park.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
THAT is a tough call, Walter. The Disney ballpark in Orlando is really nice and I'd bet seeing a game there would be really cool.

But giving up time at the theme parks would be tough. Real tough.

I don't envy you the decision.

Do you know what teams be playing?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It will be between the Braves and Nationals, which is the only game during my trip there. I'll probably not decide until the last minute.

Now it was between Disney and Pixar, that would make my decision a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread