What's new

2010: The Year They Finally Got Blu-ray Right (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Jason_V

In other news, you CAN count Disney's ENTIRE catalog output in 2010 on your hands:

10 Things I Hate About You

Gangs of New York (Remastered)

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

Armageddon

Tombstone

James and the Giant Peach

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Fantasia

Fantasia 2000

10 titles.

What we know of for catalogue Disney/Pixar next year on Blu:

Alice in Wonderland

Bambi

The Incredibles

The Lion King

Dumbo

And probably other stuff I'm totally forgetting.

[/QUOTE]

Dumbo's US release is still unannounced, unfortunately.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ I thought Beauty and the Beast included a trailer for the Dumbo BD, meaning we should reasonably expect to see it sometime next year. That's the only reason I counted it.

I would think things like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Old Yeller and Mary Poppins would sell like hotcakes, too. I'd be all about them when they actually hit BD.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
with all the complains, about streached picture, bad transfers, Alien Set Last Two Movies, bad packaging BTTF, Bad Transfer Spartacus, maybe not right, but getting closer, if the studio bungles something then own up and make it right, i think that is all any one of us would want to hear

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by dana martin

Alien Set Last Two Movies

What's wrong with the last two movies in the Alien set? Until Jean-Pierre Jeunet said that he didn't like the Alien Resurrection transfer a couple days ago, I didn't see anyone complaining about either one. I understand that he's the director and knows what his movie should look like and while neither looks as good as the first two, they're certainly not bad transfers.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

In other news, you CAN count Disney's ENTIRE catalog output in 2010 on your hands:

10 Things I Hate About You

Gangs of New York (Remastered)

Toy Story

Toy Story 2

Armageddon

Tombstone

James and the Giant Peach

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Fantasia

Fantasia 2000

10 titles.

What we know of for catalogue Disney/Pixar next year on Blu:

Alice in Wonderland

Bambi

The Incredibles

The Lion King

Dumbo

And probably other stuff I'm totally forgetting.

[/QUOTE]

Dumbo's US release is still unannounced, unfortunately.

You can add "The Waterboy" to that list for 2010. What was disappointing to me personally regarding Disney's catalog output this year was the "bare bones" nature of some of their releases. In the case of "Armageddon" and "The Waterboy", for example, we're talking about popular movies which never received a proper anamorphic Widescreen DVD release. So it was very disconcerting to finally have a proper A/V release for these movies on an optical disc format -- but with virtually no supplements.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

You can add "The Waterboy" to that list for 2010. What was disappointing to me personally regarding Disney's catalog output this year was the "bare bones" nature of some of their releases. In the case of "Armageddon" and "The Waterboy", for example, we're talking about popular movies which never received a proper anamorphic Widescreen DVD release. So it was very disconcerting to finally have a proper A/V release for these movies on an optical disc format -- but with virtually no supplements.
Are you not counting the Criterion release of Armageddon? I have no idea what was included in that release, but I gotta think that was not barebones -- and I thought that was actually a 16x9 release though I could certainly be wrong about that.

Anyway, I'm not personally interested in those two, but there are others of more interest (to me) that did receive similarly poor treatment back in the earlier days of DVD, eg. Bullets over Broadway, Scream (although they did do an SE release, but w/out 16x9 transfer)...

_Man_

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

Are you not counting the Criterion release of Armageddon? I have no idea what was included in that release, but I gotta think that was not barebones -- and I thought that was actually a 16x9 release though I could certainly be wrong about that.

Anyway, I'm not personally interested in those two, but there are others of more interest (to me) that did receive similarly poor treatment back in the earlier days of DVD, eg. Bullets over Broadway, Scream (although they did do an SE release, but w/out 16x9 transfer)...

_Man_

The Criterion release of 'Armageddon' had some very nice supplements -- but it was also non-anamorphic. It would *really* have been nice if Disney could have licensed some of the supplemental material from the Criterion release for the Blu-ray.

Still need a proper release from Disney for "Mighty Joe Young" and the animated "Hercules". Both were non-anamorphic releases. (As were all of the Disney releases -- catalog or otherwise -- prior to the animated "Tarzan" release in February 2000.)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by TravisR

Alien Set Last Two Movies

What's wrong with the last two movies in the Alien set? Until Jean-Pierre Jeunet said that he didn't like the Alien Resurrection transfer a couple days ago, I didn't see anyone complaining about either one. I understand that he's the director and knows what his movie should look like and while neither looks as good as the first two, they're certainly not bad transfers.

[/QUOTE]

Travis, what i was trying to state, was that they have gotten better, but for what we have gotten this year, there have been questionable releases, and the Alien set Jeunet could have been given a look and approval of the transfer, Fincher, i dont think IMO want to go near Alien³ , again, but when we look backat this year and great release, do we look at the release or the re-release

Saving Private Ryan

Gladiator

both redone, the there were some who wonder why The african Queen was not released Lossless, this entire forum as it exist, is one of the best indicators as to what is being done corectly, and what needs to be called on, my question is when the HTF award nominees are done fo this year, are people going to remember that they had to send for a replacement disc

blu ray perfect picture, perfect sound, film like quality, at what MSRP is set for titles, there should not be any issues

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks