What's new

2010 FIFA World Cup - South Africa (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

BTW#2 -- since the referee is wearing a headset, yet there is no replay in soccer, just who is the referee talking to anyway, and why? I've always wondered.

With the assistant referees (linesmen), and the fourth official, who is basically the backup ref, and handles off-field matters, e.g. inspecting the kit of substitutes to ensure they comply with the rules.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Vegas...for instructions...[/url]

BTW#2 -- since the referee is wearing a headset, yet there is no replay in soccer, just who is the referee talking to anyway, and why? I've always wondered.

[/quote]

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina

Actually, no. Instructions would come from the "Far Eastern betting syndicates"...

There was one incident years ago in England's top division (can't remember whether it was during the Premier League era or not), where a game involving Wimbledon (small, scrappy team punching about its weight) was called off because just as the second half kicked off, the floodlights failed. Score was tied at the time, I believe. Skeptics suggested that because (apparently) under the betting rules used by "Far Eastern betting syndicates", if a game was called off after the second half had already started, the score at the time would stand as the final result and pay out (or not) accordingly, and the syndicates had rigged it.

Also, a number of bribery scandals did involve Far Eastern gentlemen; IIRC when Bruce Grobbelaar was tried for bribery, one of the other defendants was a Malaysian Chinese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks