What's new

2010 FIFA World Cup - South Africa (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Still, it's not all doom-and-gloom for you lot, win your last game and you're through, and you might have the added bonus of laughing at England failing to qualify out of your group

I'm really not all that upset about the call since I'm not a fan of soccer. I haven't watched a total of 15 minutes of live WC yet. It's stuff like this that just gives me reason to care even less. Doing things according to tradition has its benefits but the best tradition is "get it right."

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

...And France is out after losing to South Africa -- also out -- in a 2-1 match.

And that puts France out of their misery, at least in this World Cup. Too bad about South Africa, as I was hoping they could pull off the miracle to make it to the knockout stage.

Glad to see South Korea advance, even if it was as a result of a draw with Nigeria.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Tomorrow should be interesting, USA and England are both in if they win. Germany also needs a win, becauser Serbia will probably beat Australia.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

The diving and overacting would stop if they were consistently issued yellow cards for the act.

One would wish so, and in the past they've always talked about cracking down on "simulation", but for some unknown reasons, the authorities have backed down on this and refs don't seem to card divers very often any longer (although to be fair I did just see a yellow given for diving).

But the main thing is that they don't use video evidence to get those that get away with it during the game, and when they do decide to go after someone, they pick the wrong cause: this past season, in a European Champions' League qualifier, Arsenal played Celtic and it was claimed that Eduardo dived to win a penalty for Arsenal, and much was made of the incident. But the incident itself wasn't the most clear-cut of dives as some angles suggested there was some contact, and this is a player who's leg was horribly snapped by a foul tackle just two years ago, so he's bound to go down easily these days. In contrast, England's sainted Rooney dived over a non-existent leg (it had already been pulled out of the way) to win Manchester United a penalty that ultimately cost Arsenal their record-breaking 49-game unbeaten streak in the English league. Yes, I'm an Arsenal fan, so I raise these two as examples, but it happens across the board -- many obvious dives are never dealt with later.

Anyway, back to the World Cup, well done South Korea for pulling it off. And what a disgrace the French were, and their idiot of a manager Domenech, who refused to shake hands with the SA coach at the end of the game.

I still can't decide which game to watch tonight, England v. Slovenia or USA v. Algeria. Probably the former, that is more likely to be the closer game. Then again, Algeria did hold England to a draw, so no guarantee that USA can beat them either.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Congrats USA on advancing and winning their bracket!

USA fans are getting a lesson on how it is to be a Raider fan with all the phantom calls.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
And don't forget that England are through! I was on edge, but my team has made it!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
USA deservedly tops Group C, but I think both USA and England are going to realize how mediocre the group was overall when they go up against the Group D victors (likely Germany and Ghana). But for now, happy day!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

USA deservedly tops Group C, but I think both USA and England are going to realize how mediocre the group was overall when they go up against the Group D victors (likely Germany and Ghana). But for now, happy day!

Looking at the Group D standings, it appears that if Serbia beats Australia they are in and either Ghana or Germany are out (they play each other this afternoon).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/301648/any-soccer-fans-in-la-wanting-to-watch-a-live-world-cup-broadcast-in-3d

Jay

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
At this instant, If there is someone who has too much soccer, can watch is tennis match at Wimbledon! It is between a Frenchman Mahut and an American Isner and they are currently in the 5th set tied at 45 each! The match is over 8 hours !!!! long. I am surprised that one or both are not dehydrated!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Well, the US will play Ghana on Saturday, which will be on ABC at 2:30pm. I think they have a better chance against Ghana, than they would have against Germany. I see them making it to the quarterfinals.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ugh, post timed out...time to try again...

What a day in the world of sports? Historic win for the US and a historic day at Wimbledon

I had resigned myself to the fact that it just wasn't their day and Cup, when the an 11 second play in the 91st minute changed everything---wow. I'm a bit bummed that they are playing Ghana, but I think it is a better matchup for them than Germany.

And the tennis match? Obviously, I've never seen anything like it. Absolutely amazing. It's a shame Isner was playing Mahut from France rather than the French football team. They would've quit a long time ago.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Winning the group now puts the U.S. in an "easier" draw for the first two knockout rounds. Had they come in second, they would have had the prospect of facing Germany and then the winner of Argentina/Mexico (likely Argentina). Instead they face Ghana and the winner of Uruguay/South Korea.

All teams now are good and deserved to advance, all are dangerous and capable of beating the USA, but if Coach Bradley could choose between those two scenarios, I think I know which one he'd prefer!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Now that group play has ended, with the boring Brazil-Portugal game and an entertaining Spain-Chile game, it is onto the knockout stage.

My picks for...

Saturday - South Korea, USA

Sunday - Germany, Argentina

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks