What's new

2010 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Overseas box office report from The Hollywood Reporter site...

Halloween got a jump on the foreign theatrical circuit over the weekend as Paranormal Activity 2 claimed the No. 1 box office spot by scaring $22.1 million out of audiences at 2,913 screens in 21 offshore markets.

Director Tod Williams' sequel to 2009's Paranormal Activity, which reportedly grossed more than $92 million overseas, premiered No. 1 in at least four key markets, notably in the U.K., where the weekend tally was $6.3 million from 392 locations -- which distributor Paramount Pictures said outperformed the opening market tally of the horror original by as much as 103%.

Paranormal 2, which also opened No. 1 on the weekend in the U.S. and Canada, drew first-place rankings in Australia ($2.7 million from 179 spots), Mexico ($1.9 million from 450 screens) and Russia ($1.8 million from 360 locations).

Paramount also said the sequel outdrew the opening box office of the original -- directed by Oren Peli, who co-produced and co-scripted Paranormal 2 -- in France ($2.5 million from 199 spots, ranking No. 2), Korea and Spain.

The sequel to the box office phenomenon -- produced for a reported $10,000 and grossing domestically more than 10 times that figure -- continues its rollout offshore over the coming weeks with openings in some 30 foreign markets.

No. 2 on the weekend was Universal's Despicable Me, which had been the foreign circuit's top grosser in the prior stanza. After 16 weeks of overseas playtime, the family-oriented 3D animation title voiced principally by Steve Carell has grossed a total of $198.1 million.

Universal -- which reported its 2010 international box office total exceeded $1 billion on Sunday -- said it expects Despicable to surpass the $200 million offshore gross mark on Monday.

The film's weekend gross was $19.8 million from 4,800 situations in 39 territories. It opened No. 1 in Portugal, Czech Republic, Latvia and Slovakia, with the U.K. as the top holdover market ($4.3 million from 520 venues for a 10-day total of $12.2 million). Despicable has openings in five territories on tap this week, including Japan and Belgium.

Opening No. 1 in Sweden, Norway and the Ukraine was the weekend's No. 3 title, Sony's The Social Network, which grossed $10 million at 2,110 screens in 25 markets. Overseas cume for director David Fincher's drama starring Jesse Eisenberg as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg stands at $32.2 million.

Fourth was Le Petits Mouchoirs (Little White Lies), the weekend's dominant No. 1 opener in France, grossing an estimated $9.9 million from 750 locations. The EuropaCorp. Distribution release, directed by Guillaume Canet and costarring Marion Cotillard and Francois Cluzet, played the recent Toronto International Film Festival, and is being hailed as a French variation of The Big Chill, director Lawrence Kasdan's 1983 title.

No. 5 was director Oliver Stone's Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, which drew $9.5 million on the weekend from 4,309 sites in 53 markets. Offshore gross total for the Michael Douglas-as-Gordon Gekko vehicle from 20th Century Fox totals $62.18 million.

Warner Bros.' romantic comedy Life As We Know It, costarring Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel, drew $8.3 million from about 2,500 screens in 22 markets, with a No. 4 Germany opening yielding $2 million from 403 screens. Overseas cume stands at $17.8 million.

With unspectacular openings in the U.K. and Spain, Warner's Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole drew $8.1 million on the weekend at a total of about 5,000 screens in 51 markets. Overseas gross total for director Zack Snyder's animation fantasy stands at $53 million. Openings in France, Korea and Italy are due this week.

Crossing the $100-million overseas gross mark was Sony's Eat Pray Love, which has collected $100.2 million since opening on the foreign circuit on Aug. 12. Latest weekend box office tally for the romantic drama starring Julia Roberts was $7.8 million from 3,320 screens in 67 markets.

Summit International's RED drew an estimated $7.1 million on the weekend from 1,804 situations in 19 markets, with a No. 3 opening in the U.K. looming ($2.7 million from 403 sites). Early cume for the action title -- costarring Bruce Willis, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren as retired spies back in action -- stands at $15.3 million after two rounds. Openings in 10 territories, including Germany and Australia, are due this week.

Director-actor Ben Affleck's heist vehicle, The Town, drew $5.4 million from 1,900 screens in 31 markets, lifting its overseas cume to $34.1 million. Brazilian-made action title Tropa de Elite 2 (Elite Squad 2) grabbed an estimated $4.7 million from some 300 screens in Brazil only, lifting its market cume to about $33 million over three stanzas.

No. 3 in France was director Luc Besson's Arthur 3: La Guerre des Deux Mondes (Arthur 3: The War of Two Worlds), which collected an estimated $3.9 million from 778 locations and a market cume of $10.2 million over two frames. Constantin Film's Resident Evil: Afterlife" pushed its foreign gross total to $213.5 million via Sony and other distributors thanks to a weekend gross of $3.1 million.

Sony's cop comedy The Other Guys laughed all the way to $2.4 million from 1,355 screens in 40 markets; cume is $37.5 million. Japan is Tom Cruise country and Fox's Knight and Day, the action comedy with Cruise and Cameron Diaz, maintains a strong No. 2 spot in that market ($2.14 million from 578 sites) for a weekend total of $2.3 million from 697 screens in Japan and Italy. Knight and Day's cume totals $176.47 million.

Other international cumes: Warner's Inception, $524.5 million; Sony's Easy A, $5.6 million; Fox's Avatar: Special Edition, $2.021 billion; Summit/Universal/Disney's Step Up 3D, $119 million; Mars Distribution's Des Homes et Des Dieux (Of Gods and Men), $21.2 million over seven rounds in France only; Universal's Charlie St. Cloud, $12 million; Fox's Ramona and Beezus, $424,799 in U.K. only; Pixar/Disney's Toy Story 3, $646.1 million, the eighth most popular release overseas ever; Fox's Vampires Suck, $38.2 million; and Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice, $151.6 million.

Also, Touchstone/Disney's You Again, $3.6 million; Universal's Devil, $12.6 million; DreamWorks/Paramount's Dinner for Schmucks, $12.6 million; Universal's Senna, $830,000 in Japan only; Lionsgate's The Switch, $14.4 million; Paramount's The Last Airbender, $184.5 million; and Lionsgate's Alpha and Omega, $5.2 million.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Friday update from the Deadline Hollywood site...

The DreamWorks Animation toon Megamind looks like it will have a $12.5 million Friday for an estimated $45M weekend, followed by Warner Bros' Due Date with $12M/$34M, and Lionsgate's For Colored Girls with $8M/$22M which is not quite the phenom first thought today. The total of all the movies will be very close to the Industry record of $153M for the first weekend in November set in 2003.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seems like Megamind is on the low end of expectations, as well, unless it explodes over the weekend. Most predictions I'd seen were around $50-60 million.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Weekend Estimates

#1 "Megamind" $30.1 million ($89.8 million) -35%

#2 "Unstoppable" $23.5 million

#3 "Due Date" $15.5 million ($59.0 million) -53%

#4 "Skyline" $11.7 million

#5 "Morning Glory" $9.6 million ($12.2 million)

#6 "For Colored Girls" $6.8 million ($30.9 million) -65%

#7 "Red" $5.1 million ($79.8 million) -41%

#8 "Paranormal Activity 2" $3.1 million ($82.0 million) -57%

#9 "Saw 3D" $2.8 million ($43.5 million) -64%

#10 "Jackass 3D" $2.3 million ($117.7 million) -54%

#11 "Secretariat" $2.2 million ($54.7 million) -46%

#12 "The Social Network" $1.7 million ($87.7 million) -50%

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
So what's the chance of Harry Potter even making it to $300 Million domestically now? It seems to be falling hard every week. Looks like it's only the fans of the book that are watching it rather than fans of the previous movies. Guess word of mouth isn't good.

castle

Grip
Real Name
anndrew
Harry Potter in a book to detail more. But in the movie, people are not reading the book more difficult to know the story. :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez

So what's the chance of Harry Potter even making it to $300 Million domestically now? It seems to be falling hard every week. Looks like it's only the fans of the book that are watching it rather than fans of the previous movies. Guess word of mouth isn't good.
After 15 days, Deathly Hallows is sitting at $232.3 million. After 15 days, Half-Blood Prince was sitting at about $233.9 million. While the weekend drops for Deathly Hallows have been steeper than Half-Blood Prince, they roughly track the same as Goblet of Fire -- the last Harry Potter with a November launch. After 15 days, Goblet of Fire was sitting at $214.7 million and went on to gross a total of more than $290 million domestically.

The biggest thing hurting Potter? Tangled. While the penultimate Harry Potter picture has had very good word of mouth (with a CinemaScore average of A in every demographic), Tangled has had positively excellent word of mouth, the first picture of 2010 to have an audience average CinemaScore of A+. Since the two movies are competing for the family audience, Tangled's gain is Potter's loss. It also raises the possibility that the declines will level off, as families that opted to see Tangled instead of Harry Potter might catch up before it leaves theaters.

Like Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix, Dealthy Hallows, Part 1 was saddled with a PG-13 rating. Last year's Half-Blood Prince likely benefited from its PG rating, which presents a greater comfort level for some families.

JayMacey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kyle m
I'm confused how Tangled can be the first film of 2011 with an A+ Cinemascore when it's not 2011 & it wasn't released in 2011?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The general consensus (right now anyway) is that HP7-1 will top out with a domestic mark in the are of $290-$295 million. If that turns out to be the case, than HP7-1 would become only the fourth film with a $100 million-plus debut weekend tally (out of the 17 that have done it) to not at least top the triple-century mark domestically. It would join 'New Moon' ($296.6 million), X-Men 3 ($234.4 million), and HP4 ($290.0 million).

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
There was a Hollywood Reporter article last week that had Tron's tracking at $35m for opening weekend, which would be disastrous even with the holiday bump.

Realistically, Disney couldn't have expected another Pirates, could they? I'm as big a fanboy for Tron as anything, but $200m was my best-case scenario (and theoretically would be enough for their franchise plans to keep going).

In my wildest dreams, I saw a $70m opening, with a $200m finish. Anything beyond that, well...

Edit: It was two weeks ago, my mistake. The Tourist also had soft tracking.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tron-legacy-tourist-weak-early-54937

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This has been a dreadful upcoming slate of movies for December this year. Hoping better for Tron Legacy, but I think it'll be a tough sell across many demographics. The marketing for The Tourist has been pretty mediocre as well. That being said, I'm struggling to find a nearby theater who will be showing Black Swan, and will need to take a jaunt into the big city to go see it tomorrow as it's only playing at 2 theaters. *grumble*

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

This has been a dreadful upcoming slate of movies for December this year. Hoping better for Tron Legacy, but I think it'll be a tough sell across many demographics. The marketing for The Tourist has been pretty mediocre as well. That being said, I'm struggling to find a nearby theater who will be showing Black Swan, and will need to take a jaunt into the big city to go see it tomorrow as it's only playing at 2 theaters. *grumble*

Considering I saw about 60 movies in the theaters between January and October and just one (Harry Potter) in November and December, I completely agree. I want to see The Black Swan but I'm in the same boat as you with it only playing in the city. Oddly, 127 Hours hasn't opened near me yet either.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
127 HOURS opens this weekend at a place I can actually get to. BLACK SWAN is pretty much the only other film out there that I want to see at this point but it's not playing anywhere close.

Perhaps it's just me but I think 2010 as a whole has been a pretty lackluster year. There are several films out there I still need to see but for the most part the quality has been very low this year.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was just updating my 2010 film list. 105 films in the theater to date, and almost everything I really liked was either foreign or independent (like Winter's Bone).

I could have seen Black Swan last weekend, but I opted for something even more limited (Rare Exports, which is in just one theater). It's expanding here this weekend and is high on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks