What's new

2010 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

Not all adults with "cognitive development" and "life experience" see Jackass as "slumming it".

Exactly. Thankfully I can still enjoy escapist entertainment rather than expecting to see an Oscar contender every time I watch a movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk 960#post_3741242

Not all adults with "cognitive development" and "life experience" see Jackass as "slumming it".

I'm sorry, but if Jackass isn't slumming it cinematically, I don't know what is. We're basically talking about more elaborately planned TruTV programming on the big screen. There's nothing wrong with slumming it; I enjoy my share of low-brow fare, too. But let's not pretend a collection of vulgar stunts like launching a man in a port-a-potty full of excrement through the air on bungee cords is somehow on the same intellectual plane as just about anything else in theaters right now.

Originally Posted by Brent M

Exactly. Thankfully I can still enjoy escapist entertainment rather than expecting to see an Oscar contender every time I watch a movie.

If Jackass and Oscar contenders occupy opposite ends of the intellectual spectrum, there's a wide body of cinema in between. Thinking that Jackass is slumming it doesn't automatically make someone an intellectual snob who turns their nose up at anything less refined than a Merchant & Ivory production.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Like I said before, it's entertainment and naturally everyone's tastes are going to be different. Obviously there are millions of people out there who wouldn't spend one minute watching a movie like Jackass and that's totally understandable. By the same token, I could never bring myself to watch cinematic Ambien like The English Patient or Shakespeare in Love. I'd rather "slum it" and enjoy myself than watch some high-brow movie that makes me want to swallow a Cyanide capsule. To each their own.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The English Patient was boring, but Shakespeare in Love was lots of fun. Plus it had boobies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brent M

I'd rather "slum it" and enjoy myself than watch some high-brow movie that makes me want to swallow a Cyanide capsule. To each their own.

That's completely fair, and you're not going to get any judgment from me for it. I just didn't want to pretend there wasn't a difference between the two. There is.

And like Ken said, high brow movies can be good or bad just like low brow movies. It's sort of like fans of literature dismissing all of the other genres; literature is put on the pedestal, but there are great literary novels and shitty literary novels. And there are great science fiction novels and shitty science fiction novels. And great and shitty mysteries, and so on. Stephen King would be looked down upon by most literary snobs, but his best works will be remembered long after many of the faddish literary novels have faded into oblivion. The same is true of movies. The great high brow pictures will last for a long time, and the great low brow pictures will last for a long time. Most of the rest will fade away.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
So will this coming weekend's Paranormal Activity 2 be just another Blair Witch sequel or will it actually deliver? I hear there's a lineup already for the midnight screenings. IMHO I just don't get it. I never quite understood why the first one was such a big deal. The first movie I felt it only delivered at the ending but everything before that was just waiting and waiting for something to happen. I just don't get it.

I will be watching Hereafter which, unfortunately, will be neglected by joe six packs.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jose Martinez

So will this coming weekend's Paranormal Activity 2 be just another Blair Witch sequel or will it actually deliver? I hear there's a lineup already for the midnight screenings. IMHO I just don't get it. I never quite understood why the first one was such a big deal. The first movie I felt it only delivered at the ending but everything before that was just waiting and waiting for something to happen. I just don't get it.

I will be watching Hereafter which, unfortunately, will be neglected by joe six packs.

I think Paranormal Activity 2 will do pretty good because people want to see a scary movie at Halloween time and it's really the only one in town. Clint's name is on Hereafter so, while it might not open at #1, you can count on lots of old people turning out to see it and it will probably have some legs.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/first-box-office-paranormal-activity-2-scares-up-record-6-3-million-from-midnight-screenings/

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The early estimates have "Paranormal Activity 2" pulling in $18.5 million during its opening day (including the $6.3 million from the midnight screenings). Paramount is predicting an opening weekend haul in the area of $30-$35 million. The sequel cost only $3 million to make and will go on to be one of the year's most profitable movies. I'd be absolutely blown away if Paramount didn't greenlight a third one during the next couple of weeks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TerryRL

I'd be absolutely blown away if Paramount didn't greenlight a third one during the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, I think they'll try to make it the next Saw franchise with a new movie every year at Halloween time. Although I think after this one, a third movie will be a tough sell to the general public (but if you only spend a couple million, another sequel is still bound to be extremely profitable).

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The movie has so far received mostly positive reviews, earning a solid CinemaScore grade of B+ thus far in the weekend. I do agree that Paramount probably hopes that this will churn out as many films as the 'Saw' franchise did and I also think that they were smart to make sure the sequel's plot was a companion piece to the first film.

The initial Friday estimate came in lower than first thought, the movie actually pulled in about $20.1 million as opposed to the $18.5 mil originally thought by the studio. Paramount is now expecting a Friday-to-Sunday haul in the neighborhood of $40-$45 million, giving the month of October back-to-back $40 million-plus #1 debuts for the first time in history. What makes it even more impressive is that both films ("Jackass 3D" being the other) carry R ratings.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TerryRL

The movie has so far received mostly positive reviews, earning a solid CinemaScore grade of B+ thus far in the weekend.

I saw that it got fairly good critical reviews and I'm really wondering why. It's not a terrible movie but I lean alot more towards Roger Ebert's fairly negative review.

All that being said, I hope PA2's success makes studios take more chances on R rated horror movies.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Weekend Estimates

#1 "Paranormal Activity 2" $41.5 million

#2 "Jackass 3D" $21.6 million ($87.1 million) -57%

#3 "Red" $15.0 million ($43.5 million) -31%

#4 "Hereafter" $12.0 million ($12.3 million) +5,349%

#5 "The Social Network" $7.3 million ($72.9 million) -29%

#6 "Secretariat" $6.9 million ($37.4 million) -26%

#7 "Life as We Know It" $6.2 million ($37.6 million) -31%

#8 "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" $3.2 million ($50.2 million) -25%

#9 "The Town" $2.7 million ($84.7 million) -32%

#10 "Easy A" $1.8 million ($54.8 million) -34%

#11 "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" $1.2 million ($50.0 million) -49%

#12 "My Soul to Take" $1.1 million ($14.0 million) -67%

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
saturday drop seems pretty huge to me. definitely front loaded. me thinks this will have a huge dropoff next week against Saw.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm always surprised at how little Eastwood directed movies make whenever he's not in them. I think it's clear that the general public hasn't warmed up to him as a director even though many of the films get great critical reviews. MYSTIC RIVER was an exception of course.

I personally don't believe in "word of mouth" but if there is such a thing then I think it's really going to hurt PA2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks