What's new

2009 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Kinda wish I HAD gone 2D, though. Went IMAX 3D and the imagery made me a little motion-sick. Not "Blair Witch" or Paul Greengrass motion-sick, but a bit googly - had to close my eyes occasionally to ward off nausea...
About 20 minutes in, I had to step out to go the bathroom. As I was leaving the bathroom, a wave of nausea came over me. But I was able to watch the rest of the movie without incident. But after it was over, I started getting nauseous again. I had to lie down and take a nap when I got home. It was like, I was okay on the roller coaster, but as soon as I stepped off, the vertigo hit me.

I don't think I'll be heading back to the theaters, but I am eagerly awaiting home video just to watch it in 2D. Incidentally, I've gone to a sum total of 5 films in the last 8 years, with Watchmen being the first one in a two year layoff and Avatar following behind it. And Avatar only for the 3D, so it's a great marketing tool.

Anyone else take their Real3D glasses home only to find out that the polarized 3D system in the theaters doesn't work at home and you still need anaglyph glasses for home 3D? Because that bummed me out.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
All the 3D screens I've been to in the past few years want the glasses back after a movie. One makes you take them off if you want to go use the bathroom!

And whatever washing system they use for the glasses seriously needs a case of Jet Dry. I've resorted to using moist towelettes to get the spots off the lenses.

Now that the holidays are over maybe I can finally see this thing. Even the late night IMAX shows have been selling out around here.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The RealD glasses are disposable, but you can drop them into a recycling bin if you wish. The other 3D formats require much costlier glasses, and they definitely want them back (I think some of them are $50 a pop!).

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
This was 10 years ago, but the Imax 3D shutter glasses we used cost $350 each! Security was tight for those babies. :)

Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

The other 3D formats require much costlier glasses, and they definitely want them back (I think some of them are $50 a pop!).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson ">[/url]

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing. It's a great choice: drive three miles for a 3D version or go 20 miles for 2D - I'm just being obstinate when I say that I didn't feel like I really had a "choice"...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've already said that I was totally wrong about Avatar (I thought it would pull in about $200 or $250 million in the U.S. and only make money when you factor in the world gross). Having said that, I still don't think that $600 million dollar hauls are going to suddenly be the norm because Avatar is the incredibly rare exception to the rule.

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Not knocking anyone, just found it funny how it was brought up just before release. What a difference a month at the boxoffice makes. :)

Hey Chuck, maybe it has just been a rounding error? You know, hollywood math. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks