2009-2010 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

Yes, that 1971 team was a joy to watch. And, I loved watching the 1969 World Series. Even though it lasted only five games, it was for me one of the most -- and perhaps the most -- thrilling World Series I have ever seen. So many great memories from that one. Tommie Agee, Tom Seaver, Jerry Grote, Don Clendenon, and Ron Swoboda will forever be etched in my baseball memory because of that amazing World Series.

I heard a wonderful interview today with Tim McCarver. He was asked whom he believed were the greatest catchers ever to play the game. His first two names were the same two names I had on my list. I'll let you guess who they were. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bench & Fisk?

We'll have to see what kind of career Mauer has... I bet he'll end up ranking up at the top of the list.

There's always the guy Mickey Mantle was named after (Mickey Cochrane)...and Bill Dickey...and Yogi...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

I purposely left out the bit about McCarver saying that he limited his choices to those with whom he played, and yet you still got it exactly right. Nicely done!

Did you happen to hear the interview? It was excellent. Yogi, Cochrane, and Dickey were all mentioned. But McCarver said that the best defensive catcher he had ever seen was Grote -- and he didn't get along with him, which I didn't know until today.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you had mentioned it, it might have stumped me...because I wouldn't have figured McCarver's career and Fisk's career would have overlapped.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

It's quite an opening night game at Fenway, eh? Pedroia's home run really got the adrenalin going at the park, and in our home. But you know that the Yankees are going to make some noise in the latter two innings.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

I moved it to the correct thread. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Somebody's got to remember the difference between the Hot Stove thread and the season thread...

I wonder what Joe West was thinking calling out the Red Sox and Yankees for intentionally drawing out the length of their games?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks