2009-2010 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Thanks, Dave. I haven't been keeping up with what is occurring with the Red Sox during the off-season.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
This was brought up in another thread and a conversation I had with someone recently, but I wanted to bring it up here...

I assume the blackout policy in MLB is not dependent on whether the game sells out or not.

Otherwise only the Red Sox would have all their games on TV, with their current sellout streak.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
it'd be funny if the Sox signed Scutaro and left Pedroia at second :P

looks like the race for Halladay is Sox/Yanks/Angels/Phillies. Jays obviously would rather trade out of division but the big 2 are probably also the most willing/able to give up stuff. it will be interesting! if Doc signs with the Yanks i am so getting a new jersey.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The most significant news so far has been the move sending Peter Gammons from ESPN to the MLB Network!

Sad to see Lowell go...but it's a move that needs to be made. I cannot believe the Sox have even floated the name of Milton Bradley. Can't believe they'd even give that a thought.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
There was that 3-way trade between the Yankees, Tigers, and Diamondbacks, which has the Yanks getting Granderson. No question they will be favored to repeat, much to the ire of the rest of the league.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Walter C

There was that 3-way trade between the Yankees, Tigers, and Diamondbacks, which has the Yanks getting Granderson. No question they will be favored to repeat, much to the ire of the rest of the league.
It seems to me that the Yanks gave up quite a lot to get someone of Granderson's abilities.

On the subject of next year's favorites, I actually think the lucky winner in the Roy Halliday sweepstakes (depending on who it is) could end up moving up the oddsmakers lists.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
In the past week or so, the Tigers (probably my second favorite team) have traded Polanco, E. Jackson, and now Granderson. I realize that they are looking for 2011 to be here so as to unload a good amount of what they owe to some now unproductive players, and that they have high hopes for the prospects (including the outfielder from the Yankees) to show some promise, but I think in this case they have given up the 'face' of the franchise in Granderson. I may change my mind down the road, but right now I don't like this trade very much.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

From the Tiger's point of view. I'm sure New York loves it!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Like I said, I don't think it's so great--from a Yankees perspective.

But time will tell. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about something like this.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
My comment regarding the New York Yankees winning five Consecutive World Series after they acquired Mark Teixeira isn't so far-fetched after all.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I like the Lackey five-year deal (assuming it goes through). But the Phillies are giving up Lee in order to get Halladay. I don't understand that move too much. Someone -- Mike? -- please enlighten me. Did Lee say he wanted out of Philly? If so, then I can understand the move somewhat.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not sure. But the only thing I can figure is that Philly decides that x-years of Halladay is better than just 1 year left on Lee's contract. Must be they didn't think they had a shot of re-signing him.

Lee/Halladay sure would have been a heckuva one/two punch in 2010.

Maybe Tony knows the inside poop.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
Lee is apparently determined to be a free agent after the 2010 season so the Phillies would have had to pay as much as anybody. Halladay likes playing for Phillie because he lives in Dunedin where the Phillies do their spring training, so Halladay would be easier to sign long term (if they haven't already agreed in principal to that already).

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
At the end of hotmail I got a FOX report that the Phillies get Halladay for longer time where as Lee is only short term.

The link is:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10523430/Source:-Halladay-to-Phils,-Lee-to-M%27s-in-blockbuster

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott: Jayson Stark reported on ESPN radio this morning that the Lee figures to want a long-term contract when his year is up (something the Phils don't like to do). They were able to get Halladay to agree to only a three-year deal so they liked the fit better.

In another piece of news this morning Hideki Matsui (the 2009 WS MVP) has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the Angels.

Wonder what happens to Vlad the Impaler now?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And...the Red Sox have also picked up Mike Cameron as an apparent replacement for Jason Bay. That's a definite downgrade offensively. 2 years/$15.5-million.

Maybe the Sox wanted someone to give Curtis Granderson a run for his money as the strikeout king next year...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks everyone. :)

I saw an extended segment on the Halladay - Lee trade last night, and it finally made some sense (coupled with what some of you have written). The funny thing is, before the commentator began, he looked flummoxed as well -- almost as if he had no explanation for the trade. But it's starting to make a bit more sense to me now. One reason that Lee had to be let go (additional to what Eric said above) is that the Phillies could not carry the salaries of both Lee and Halladay next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks