What's new

2008 NCAA College Football Thread (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Oh, in the end, Georgia might end up playing a tougher schedule, no doubt (although those rankings have a way of changing). But a strength of schedule isn't just how many ranked teams you play, it's your overall schedule. So playing 6 ranked teams and 3 creampuffs might not be as tough a schedule overall as playing 4 ranked teams and no creampuffs. Right now it's too early to tell (the strength of schedules are only based on who you've played so far), but in the end, Georgia's overall strength of schedule might not be as tough as everyone thinks. Only time will tell.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

That's a "sage observation" as they say ... In 2004 Auburn played and beat four teams ranked in the Top 10 (more than USC and Oklahoma combined); and yet the OOC schedule of ULM, The Citadel, and Louisiana Tech did them in. In fact, if The Citadel game had not been played Auburn's SOS would have been Number 1 in the country.

As a side note, The Citadel was scheduled very late as a replacement for Bowling Green. Six months prior to the start of the season Oklahoma offered BG a three game series which would include a home game. That offer enticed BG to buy out of their contract with Auburn. That simple monetary transaction ultimately resulted in Oklahoma playing in the BCS game that year instead of Auburn!

*** EDIT ***
By the way, I really don't think that Georgia is in similar straits this season. With Arizona State and Georgia Tech both on their OOC schedule along with up to nine SEC teams, they're in very good shape regarding their SOS.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

Don't forget that if we win the SEC east, we still have to play in the SEC Championship game, which adds another tough game to our schedule. USC and Ohio State don't have conference championship games.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If UGA makes it to the SEC championship then it would probably be against LSU or Auburn, and we are already playing both this season. We will probably lose to South Carolina again
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or is Lou Holtz going senile? This man said last week that south carolina could make it to the national championship game. He claims this based on their terrible performance against NC state? He also said that Notre Dame will go 11-1 and if they win this weekend versus, um, San Diego State, that it proves a lot. Sure.

Then last night, his Gamecocks are winning 10-3 against Vandy, and he says that they can compete with anyone in the SEC and will beat UGA, based on their first half performance. Now they obviously could beat UGA, but is he really going by what he observed last night? They were terrible that first half, and they lost the game. Shame I didn't get to see him ramble on after the game about how it's just a minor set back.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I gotta admit, and this is sad: I watch Lou Holtz now out of sheer fascination. You could take all of his advice and win big in Vegas...if you employ the "opposite rule" that is! :D

Jason L.

Second Unit
I'm going out to LA next weekend for the USC-OSU game and I don't have a ticket.

I'm driving out from Anaheim. What is the parking situation like for the Coliseum? The common wisdom is that the surrounding area is not that safe. Are there alternate methods of transportation? Shuttle buses?

Also, what is the scalping situation like?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yikes. Ohio State is only leading Ohio 3-0 in the 2nd quarter with 7 minutes to go, and Ohio is in the red zone. Methinks they won't be rated so high tomorrow.

EDIT: And Ohio just scored a touchdown. 7-3 Ohio. Wow.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Unbelieveably bad unsportsmanlike conduct call against Washington in the BYU game. I don't care about either team, just watching because it was an entertaining game, but I cussed up a storm on that one.

Officials who make calls that bad should immediately be fired from officiating. Not because they missed a call (everyone does from time to time), but because that call shows they have no idea what the game's about. There's a difference between knowing the rules and enforcing them appropriately. Making a call this bad is tantamount to a police officer ticketing drivers for tailgating during a funeral procession. Yes, the rule is don't drive too closely, but you have to know how to apply the rule.

And I could be wrong, but I believe this PAC-10 crew was the same crew that blew the OU-Oregon game a couple of years ago by botching the onsides kick call and the pass interference call.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, quite the opposite is happening. Apparently officials are being encouraged to call this more often this year. The NCAA officials say that this type of demonstration after a touchdown is taunting the opponent. I also think this is a ridiculous rule, espacially for a college game. This was just a natural reaction after an exciting play. The officials are trying to suck out all the fun and enthusiasm of a football game. I hope there will be enough back-lash from that ridiculous penalty that will make the NCAA back off on their crusade to stop the enthusiasm at college football games. What's next, penalizing cheerleaders for excessive chearing?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Knowshon is such a smooth running back, big like Hershel, but just glides when he runs and cuts. He runs like he owns the field.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know the refs can point to a rule that they can call what they did against UW. By letter of the law, their action can be justified.

But it's like calling a technical foul in basketball, or ejecting a coach/player in baseball. Lots of things are said in done in sports that, by letter of the law, can result in a 15 yard penalty, a technical, or an ejection. Many more go uncalled than called.

The referee must exercise good judgment not to inject themselves [unwarranted, if it's an egregious foul they have to call it] into directly deciding the outcome of a game by one of these calls. IMO (and as a UCLA alum I have no love for UW), Locker did not do anything to disrespect the game, the other team, or the refs. He made an absolutely awesome play and was just genuinely excited. The refs should have taken that into account and made a judgment call to exercise restraint and not throw that flag. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: UW got jobbed.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Holtz actually got called out by a fellow guy on their show this weekend. It reduced Holtz to a stuttering fool when asked if he would like to comment on his potential national championship contenders South Carolina. This doesn't change the fact that I'm scared of the gamecocks this weekend. They have a lot of prove now and will be very fired up at home vs UGA.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Predicting USC to beat OSU in the "clash at the collesium" this weekend. By the way, tired of hearing about the "clash", they are marketing this game as if it's the game of the year. Let's hope it isn't.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Go Buckeyes!

And I think, Steve, that you and I are rooting for the actual team who should be number one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

You mean that Saturday's Michigan - Notre Dame game isn't the big one for this weekend? :D

The UM - ND game still means something around here, but it will not be a pretty game to watch. Neither team has looked good so far this season. Michigan is going to struggle every week with their poor offensive line and QBs. Meanwhile, the Irish were very fortunate to beat a very bad San Diego State team last week.

As for the "real" big game, I think USC will win easily. The Buckeyes really struggled last week without Chris Wells. He's supposed to be back, but you have to believe he will be limited against the Trojans. Add the home field advantage and I think OSU is in for a rough time Saturday night.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wells is now doubtful for the game, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't play. I expect OSU to play much better this week. I expect USC to win, but I wouldn't be shocked by an OSU victory.

Yes, UM - ND game could be ugly, but I still find myself getting a bit jacked for the game. I'm also not yet ready to call the QBs "poor." They will have their troubles considering the offense and the line. I actually think Threet could be really good. I like him a a lot. The line has to be the teams biggest weakness, but that is no surprise. I think we all expected that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks