What's new

2008 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I will be going to one of the games of the Beltway Series at Camden Yards this Friday, as I plan to visit 6 different ballparks this summer.

I'm wondering if the Marlins are for real, or just some fluke. They currently have the best record in the NL, and 3 games ahead in the division.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And how about those Rays?! :D There's a lot of positive energy around that team right now!

Walter...I hope you get to Fenway as part of your "tour." I was just there a couple of weeks ago (after a fair absence) and forgot just how perfect a place it is. :cool: What a good time!

Sweeeeeeeeet Caroline! Bum bum bum... Good times never felt so good. So good. So good. So good....

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Fenway isn't part of my plan this season, but I did get a chance to visit 3 years ago. Enjoyed the experience very much, as there really is no bad seat there. So far, the only other ballpark I have been to, outside of Philly. And I do hope to visit every one within my lifetime.

I still like to see someone hit a home run over the Green Monster.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Spoken like someone who has never been stuck behind a support beam or in one of those right-field seats that face the left-field wall. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And I got to see Gary Matthews, Jr. do just that during the game I saw! :emoji_thumbsup:

And then there were all the balls both he and Vlad Guerrero hit over the monster during BP! I think they were having a personal contest between the two of them! :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Manny is awesome. I'm certain there will be plenty of articles tomorrow about showboating and showing up the other team, but in the meantime... Very cool catch. I'm going to have to record NESN's rebroadcast of the game tomorrow morning to hear Don & Jerry lose their crap.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The NESN feed was even better - Don and Jerry just lost it, and there was footage of the rest of the team in the dugout huddled around the camera to watch the playback.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Play of the year! :laugh:

And...made on the same day the USA Today runs a story quoting Manny as declaring that he thinks he should win the Gold Glove this year! Absolutely serendipitous! :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
:laugh:

my wife and i went to a couple of games at fenway in sept 2001.
this was right shortly after sept 11th (20th thurs and 21st fri) and the entire city was on edge. We hi-tailed it outta there before sunrise that saturday.
:frowning:

one game my seat was right behind a pillar on the lower level first base side.
wasnt a lot of people there so we moved.
the second game was in the roof top area.
these seats were truthfully on the roof top as we had to walk on a roof top
to get to the seats.

also tonight billy wagner called out his team again wondering why even though he didnt play he was the only one in
the locker room talking to the press after losing tonight.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Hanley Ramirez (holy cow he's good) -- 6 years 70 million extension
Ryan Braun -- 8 year 45 million
Scott Kazmir - 3 year 28.5 extension

Young players are being signed for below market rates. Sure beats throwing money at Jeff Suppan, Carlos Silva, Juan Pierre or Andruw Jones.

The Rays front office seems to know what they're doing. The Kazmir extension is already a bargain, but their signing James Shields earlier to less than 3 million a year was just an incredible deal. They have a whole bunch of prospects in their system, signed Longoria to a potentially great deal, and improved their defensive mess from last season.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Man, it is good to be a Red Sox fan, and looks like it will be for a while - second young pitcher in less than a year to pitch a no-hitter, each with a young position player making an excellent play to save it.

Lester: This was the most delightfully un-Lester-like start I've seen from him. My friends and I have joked that if he ever got a no-hitter, it would be the ugliest one ever, with tons of walks and escapes via double plays. Instead, he just flat-out dominated the Royals. He drives me nuts most of the time, but his upside is obviously pretty good.

Varitek: I've long been skeptical about his game-calling skills actually being as great as people say, but no-one else has caught four rulebook no-hitters (plus Hansack's shorty), and Schilling insists he'd have caught five if Curt hadn't shaken Tek off in the ninth. There are also two Pedro Martinez one-hitters, but I tend to chalk that up to Pedro being insanely good and showing up angry at the Rays and Yankees those days. I don't want to read too much into it, but there's got to be something there.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a treat to be listening to the Lester game on the radio while wife and I were running errands last night.

Took me back to the excitement of last September listening to the Buchholz game unfold before my ears.

What fun! What history!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I enjoyed the game at Camden Yards this past Friday, between the O's and Nationals. Nice ballpark, and not expensive to sit behind home plate. Seeing a lot of empty seats, just shows the Beltway Series isn't as much of a rivalry as the MLB officials like to think it is. Next one to visit: one of the NY stadiums, or Detroit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks