What's new

2008 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Lew. That guy is asking a lot of the same questions that have been kicking around in my head.

I expect we'll be hearing more about the ticket price issue when next season's tix go on sale.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is that anything like a "witness" Relocation Program?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
You think the Yankees' ticket prices will be bad? At least they're not doing what the Jets and Giants are doing when their new stadium opens. They're charging for personal seat licenses (PSLs) for season-ticket holders. The PSL is a certain amount of money (in the thousands) that you have to pay for the right to buy tickets. So if a PSL is $5,000 you have to pay that just to be able to pay thousands more for the actual tickets. Apparently, PSLs are becoming commonplace in the NFL.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd just like to drop in and say I found the last hour or so of Sunday night's Yankees game nauseating and Derek Jeter to be his typically boring, attention-craving self, just so that it can be said.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

It's a real pity that there has been so little talk over the past few years about how Yankee Stadium 3.0 and CitiField are so unnecessary. After visiting both YS 2.0 and Shea this year, I can't claim they're great facilities, but moving to new places just across the street makes the whole thing seem like a lot of wasted money, especially considering how much is coming from tax dollars, either directly, through what is arguably fraud on the Yankees' part, or the displacement of public park space.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Fox was supposed to have 5 different games, and will be airing the ones that are relative to the race for the playoffs. I could be wrong...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know Saturday's Red Sox/Yankee game was moved to a 3:55pm first pitch (from 7:05pm) because it is going to be on Fox. Don't know who else might be.

Pretty cool to be down to the last three games of the season and there is still so much to be decided...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I have to admit, I'm kind of rooting for MLB's nightmare scenario in the NL - either both the Mets and Brewers get swept and Astros sweep, requiring a make-up game between Chicago and Houston and then (potentially) some kind of three-team round robin to determine the wild card, or the Mets, Brewers, and Phillies all ending with the same record, requiring a Monday Mets/Phillies game, the loser of which plays the Brewers on Tuesday.

Also, looking out the window at the rain hitting the Northeast, I wonder how many people are still complaining about the Yankees not getting to finish the season at home. I must admit, I would have laughed hard if the last game at Yankee Stadium, and all the attendant circle-jerkery, were rained out and not made up because it was irrelevant to the post-season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That nightmare scenario you describe could end up being even worse as the Mets are at home this weekend (in the rains) against the Fish.

Could be fun.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The Phillies-Nationals game will be on FOX. And the Phils are at home as well, and at the moment, it is raining here in Philly.

Here's one person hoping the nightmare scenario does not involve the Phillies. Won't happen, because the Brewers haven't been able to beat any team that isn't the Pirates lately. And even having CC starting, is no guarantee.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The way I figure it, it's only a nightmare scenario for MLB's schedulers. For us, it's bonus high-stakes baseball!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My wife and i have had a trip out of town planned for a couple of months now,
but i just realized that the trip is during the first week of the baseball playoffs.

So what is likely going to be the first time since 1981 the Phils will e in the playoffs
for the second year in a row and i won't be home
to watch in the comfort of my home theater and 73" screen.

We'll be staying just a bit north af Atlanta, so anyone have a good restaurant
or sports bar to watch the games near atlanta?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Geez. He sure did a good job of hiding any problems during this season.

===========================

Looks like the Red Sox are determined to let the Rays have the division. They are down 13-4 in the fifth inning to the Yanks. Rays magic number is 1.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I find it remarkable that this was the 8th year in a row that the Cubs' pitching staff lead the majors in strikeouts. I wonder if there has ever been a team to lead in one major offensive, defensive, or pitching category for that many consecutive years. (The Yankees probably led the league in homers for a long stretch during Ruth's era, so let's say during the last 75 years.)

I also wonder if this feat is just a crazy random stat or if the Cubs organization has made a conscious effort to sign big strikeout guys.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Glad to see the Phillies have clinched the NL East, although I am kicking myself for deciding not to go to the game earlier this week. I am hoping the Brewers make it, so the Phillies get an easier opponent in the Division Series.

Does anyone want to win the AL Central? No excuse for the 2 teams losing 2 games at home. Especially with the White Sox, since they won't be facing Cliff Lee. Unless they have quit on Ozzie.

White Sox: You want the division? You can have it!
Twins: No you can have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks