What's new

2007 MLB Season (2 Viewers)

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

The use of Papelbon in the 8th last night was huge. If the Red Sox keep doing so, their use of their best relief pitcher's edge will be significantly increased over other teams.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A recent dugout interview with Francona made it clear that this is exactly how they plan to use Papelbon this season: if the game is in danger in the 8th, bring him in to put out THAT fire and then, depending upon how many pitches he's thrown...use him in the ninth or use some other relieve in the ninth.

=================

And, much like last year, if the Red Sox cannot take advantage of the Yankee's early season problems (Wang on the DL, Mussina and Pavano both moving to the DL, Matsui on the DL, Rivera giving up walk-off HRs, etc...and put a fair amount of distance between them and last year's division winners, they do not deserve to be in the playoffs.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
You might have been right about Beckett. He's on fire. Of course he was on fire the first part of last year as well. Just like Brad Penny was on fire last year at the start and is again on fire again. The 2 pitchers might be more alike than we think.

OTOH, Dice-K can't catch a break. The guy gave up 2 runs tonight and still lost even though the 2 runs really were his fault due to his wildness.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

He did walk in the winning run, after all. :thumbsdown: But only allows 3 hits and fans 10 over 6. :emoji_thumbsup: But not getting the win is the most important thing at all (not for Matsuzaka, but for the Sox). Especially on a night when the Yanks call up a AA pitcher and get the win. Of course if the Sox had only exploded for 10 runs (like the Yanks did last night) we'd be having a different conversation today.

And what's up with Gustavo Chacin being 6-0 lifetime against the Sox in eight starts?! ;)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i was quite surprised watching the game. Chacin is not a great pitcher but usually gets a ton of run support. i think this was the best i've ever seen him pitch. go figure. i'd have bet good money on a red sox win last night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The first time I ever saw it was a week or so ago...during Kei Igawa's first start for the Yankees! "I couldn't believe what I just saw!" :D He Kept those sunglasses on the whole time he was on the mound. I was actually wondering if it was a Japanese baseball custom. Maybe he started a trend?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
The big story of the night is Mark Buehrle pitching a no hitter against the Texas Rangers. Buehrle also only gave out one walk, so he was pretty close to being perfect.

The other potential big news is that Felix Hernandez left his start after getting one out. He left because of tightness in his elbow. He had two great starts prior to this one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yup. "Mr. April." :D

Just kidding. Even if he just "maintains"...his numbers are going to be unbelievable this year.

Of course, what remains to be seen is if he's going to be able to keep it up...or if his inner demons will get the best of him and pull him out of this incredible zone he's in right now. The crazy thing about what he's doing now is that the pressure to keep it up as the season progresses will be intense. Why? Because he's A-Rod. The guy is a lightning rod for that kind of scrutiny (right or wrong) and all the inevitable questions about maintaining his success will likely crawl inside his head at one point or another...no matter how hard he might try to keep them out.

Did anyone see the self-deprecating spoof A-Rod apparently did on the Letterman show? I guess he did a bit with Letterman lackey Biff Henderson in which they were both sunbathing topless in Central Park. I didn't actually see it...but I saw a photo in one of the NYC tabloids of Henderson rubbing suntan lotion on A-Rod's torso! That's pretty good that A-Rod was able to poke fun at himself that way.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
A-Rod playing well brings up a question because he said it would be up to Yankee fans if he stayed because he has an opt out on his contract at the end of this season. Players do exercise this option, just ask JD Drew :) This whole charade could be related to him being in a contract year.

I don't want to diminish what he is doing but I don't want to forget that players do have big years during their contract year all of a sudden. Just ask Mariner fans about Adrian Beltre :) They payed out the nose for him and he hasn't been anywhere close since.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
A-Rod is looking like he's on another plain right now. When he said he'd decide after the season, I figured he'd have an MVP year. So far, he's sure looking like an MVP.

My feelings about A-Rod have been pretty clear, but I'd rather have A-Rod with the HR title than Bonds.

Doug

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Is it possible for doing extremely well to be a charade? I can see someone pretending they're not good, but pretending you don't suck has got to be difficult.

I don't see what the big deal is - Rodriguez is really,really good at playing baseball, and has periods like this every year. This year, one just happened to come at the beginning of the season which gave him immediately good counting stats.

If he could regress to the mean over the next few days, I'd really appreciate it, though. :) Both for the immediate I-want-the-Red-Sox-to-win-the-next-few-games reasons and because a bad series or two against Boston might get the NY fans to turn on him. I don't care how much the more insane Yankees fans feel about him, I'd be much happier with him out of the AL East.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Speaking of A-Rod, he just hit a walk-off 3 run HR to cap a 2 out, 6 run rally to beat Cleveland 8-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks