What's new

2007 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Boy, is Tavarez in the rotation and Papelbon in the bullpen, reserved for games where the Red Sox are already winning in the late innings, effective use of resources.

[/sarcasm]

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Probably not as good as if he did that in a game in October. Since it was an April game vs. the O's, I'm guessing that he'll still be booed tomorrow if he makes a costly error.

No one (as far as I can remember) has questioned his "clutch hitting" in the regular season. It's been questioned when it matters, in the playoffs.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I have a question for anybody with MLBEI.

Do you get the pre& post game stuff with the games also or do they just give you the game?

I'm thinking about signing up after the free preview is over on the 15th.

Thanks for any help.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I dislike Yankee fans almost as much as Red Sox fans. Matter of fact, Red Sox fans might have a slight edge as far as likeability factor right now. I will never understand the booing of one's own players. Booing doesn't help them relax and perform better.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Let's hope Lester is ready for action REAL soon! The way he pitched in the grapefruit league, I thought he was all ready to go.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Red Sox had more draft choices than any team due to compensation from losing free agents which is one of the reasons why such compensation was changed in the latest CBA so good teams don't get overly compensated. Anyhow, their high ranking is due to them signing most of those draft choices who are in "A" ball. Their draft class was ranked #1 and the Yankees was ranked #2 with a lot fewer first round and compensatory picks than what the Red Sox had at their disposal.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Thanks Crawdaddy!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

All that I'm getting now with the freepreview was just the game.

Good to know.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Philly hasn't figured that out yet :)

I'm not too surprised at the results of the minor league systems. I know the Yankees have a quite a few stud players in the waiting. I'm surprised the Red Sox reloaded. I know the Rockies had a great farm system because we see a lot of those players in Tulsa. They are a great team and what would appear to be a good franchise. They just lack any real starting pitching. Once Colorado has that, they should be a great NL team. They have loads of power and lots of youth to back it up and a great bullpen.

The Dodgers farm system is no surprise. They have been slowly dipping into that farm system the past year. It's partly the reason why the GM isn't making any huge long term deals. Most of the deals have been 4 year deals at the most.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which pre and post game shows are you interested in because it depends on the channel? For instance, DirecTV's EI package you get those shows for the Yankees on channel 622, Red Sox 623 and Mets 624.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Mainly the Philadelphia Phillies. But I'll also be watching other games, like Colorado @ San Diego or Oakland @ Seattle for example.

I'll also be going through my Digital Cable Company Time Warner not DirecTV, so I guess there will be things I might not get that only DirecTV gets.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

As a Yankee fan, I would certainly like to see Boston using Tavarez as their closer.

Do you think the Yankees would be better off if they made Rivera a starter (he was one when he first came up) and made someone like Pavano their closer?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It depends if Rivera can thrive going six innings deep every five days, which he apparently could not. But, yes, if a pitcher can do either one well, he's more valuable as a starter. 180 innings of Papelbon + 80 innings of Tavarez is better than the other way around, and the importance of the "closer", especially as it is currently defined (guy who pitches the ninth in a "save situation") is hugely overstated.

LewB

Screenwriter
Jason:
I disagree. With the advent of the pitch count, the myriad of computer generated stats and situational substitutions, I feel the closer has become more important (for better or worse).
Take Rivera for example. It doesn't matter if he comes in at the start of the 9th, or with runners on, nor does it matter if the lead-off batter is lefty or righty. If it's a save situation and Mo hasn't pitched the last 2 or 3 days in a row, he's coming in. And he usually gets the job done.
Having a dependable closer has become a necessity rather than a luxury.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
C'mon, Jason. Weren't you happy to see Papelbon come in with one out in the 8th tonight? :)

I don't always agree with Joe Morgan. In fact, I often don't. But he made a good point tonight when he said one of the reasons Papelbon might be better as a closer now...is that he's only got two strong pitches...and if he was going to go through a line-up several times, he would likely lose his effectiveness.

Morgan then proceeded to demonstrate that effective of those two strong pitches as Papelbon pitched the 9th inning tonight against the Rangers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks