What's new

2007 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
If he doesn't get injured Bonds will break Aaron's record this year.

All indications are that he is in pretty good health this year so I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks it around mid-season or August by the latest.

Edit: The sale of the Cubs is good news. Maybe Mark Cuban would like to get into baseball. (One can only hope.)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The reason I think he won't reach Aaron this year is because no one at his age has hit the number of homers he needs to get there. Of course, Bonds has defied age conventions before...

Interesting that the Cubs are selling now, since they've gone on an offseason spending spree for largely mediocre talent (except Soriano) -- the new owners will have to eat the $300 million (plus whatever Zambrano gets) that's been committed.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Who here honestly thinks Cuban would be allowed to buy the Cubs? I think sales have to be approved by a supermajority of the owners, and I'm guessing several would find some reason to vote against him.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Baseball is back!!

Ben Sheets 2 hits the Dodgers :frowning:
Cubs lose after Harang completely shuts them down. I heard Zambrano will have a 5 yr 80 million dollar contract coming soon though.

and the Royals baffle the Red Sox. Gil Meche is out to prove he's worth the jack he was paid.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You have to wonder, doubt the Royal's spending, but the new GM seems to have a decent sense of what's going on. With a few up and coming players and the right acquisitions, they could be decent... next year. I still expect them to struggle to be .500 this year. If they reach that it's a major milestone.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
okay, predictions! how many wins do you think Matsuzaka will get? :)

i'm guessing 17...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Seventeen wins sounds about right, although I wouldn't be surprised at it being higher.

And, boy, I'm glad we've got Papelbon to get three outs in the ninth when the team's up by three. No way Tavarez or Pinero could do that while Papelbon starts.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'm sensing a little sarcasm there, Jason...even in the absence of the "rolleyes" smilie! :D

Frankly, I'd be scared-to-death if Tavarez or Pinero were closing (especially Tavarez)...even with a 3 run lead! ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Tony LaRussa-style bullpen management, with its "defined roles", closers, set-up men, LOOGYs, and managing based on who has been designated as the guy to be credited with saves is among the worst thing to happen to baseball in my lifetime. That it's led to Papelbon honestly thinking he's more valuable as the next Mariano Rivera than as the next Roger Clemens is among the more aggravating results.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, Jason...

We're not going to ever see the return of pitchers who "finish what they start." Or, who like Sandy Koufax would throw 205 or 193 pitches in a game. Not gonna happen.

The save statistic is garbage. It is not only meaningless (because of its arbitrariness) but I can't tell you how many times I've seen Mariano Rivera up in the bullpen to come in in a save situation...only to be sat back down when the Yankees would score one more run...eliminating the save situation. You are also right about that--managers should not manage based on meaningless statistics like saves.

What I have seen over the years, though is some pitchers excel as starters and NOT be able to hand the closer (or other bullpen) role...and vice-versa. I'd say a good part of that is mental. Of course, there have also been those pitchers (Smoltz & Eckersley are the first two who come to mind) that have excelled at both. But it seems that many pitchers just pitch better with a starter's mindset...or with a closer's mind-set.

It is too bad we never got a chance to see what young Papelbon could bring in the starter's role...but he WAS so darn effective out of the pen last year, that's why I say I'm happy to see him return there this season...especially in the absence of any better alternative.

I might like to see him pitch more than just an inning now and then...maybe even some longer relief work...depending upon how regularly he gets into games. I hope Francona monitors this thread this season! ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
HERE'S an interesting article on the impact of the pitch count on modern baseball and an attempt by some statisticians to determine the pitch counts of some "golden age" players.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't devalue the 84+ saves in a row that Gagne had. To be in the save situation and save 84 straight games is no small feat.

LewB

Screenwriter
A-Rod 'goes black' for a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out.
Who knows, I might have to re-think the notion that he's a 'choke artist'.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It was pretty amazing that the Yanks won that game, Lew. Down one run going into the 9th. Mientkiewicz lines out. Cabrera strikes out. Cano singles. Jeter walks. Abreu is HBP...bringing up A-Rod. I'm thinking to myself it is amazing how these scenarios get created for him to succeed/fail in these high-pressure situations. And with two strikes on him, he actually comes through...and BIG! Good for him.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now by way of media/fan reaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks