Screenwriter
Guesses:

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Angels
NL East: Mets
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers

Playoffs are always a crap-shoot, not worth guessing.

AL MVP: A-Rod
NL MVP: Puljos
AL Cy Young: Santana
NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy

Wouldn't be surprised if Dice-K wins AL ROY.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...the Red Sox are still in the 9th inning of their last Spring Training game as I type this*...but:

AL East: Red Sox
AL Central: Tigers
Al Wildcard: Yankees

NL Central: Cardinals
NL Wildcard: San Diego

AL MVP: Manny Ramirez
AL CY Young: Josh Beckett
NL MVP: Albert Pujols
NL CY Young: Bronson Arroyo

*The Sox just tied the game in the bottom of the ninth with a 1-out homerun! :D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll give my predictions.

AL West: A's
AL East: New York
Wild Card: Twins

NL Central: St Louis
NL Wildcard: Giants

AL MVP: Gary Sheffield
AL CY Young: Johan Santana

NL MVP: David Wright
NL Cy Young: Carlos Zombrano - in a close win over Barry Zito.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Predictions:

NL East: Braves (I know that's going against the grain, but I think they have the fewest question marks in their pitching staff, among the contenders in the division)
NL Central: Cardinals
NL West: Giants
NL Wild Card: Mets

NL MVP: Pujols
NL Cy Young: C. Zambrano

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Twins
AL Wild Card: Tigers

AL MVP: A-Rod
AL Cy Young: J. Santana

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't know nuttin'. It's just wishful thinking, I suppose.

I'm just thinking that with all the media attention on Matsuzaka and his contract...and with all the attention that Schilling commands from the media...with the Jon Lester story unfolding over the season...and the microscope that Papelbon's going to be under...that maybe Beckett has that break-out year that has been predicted for so long.

He's got great stuff...his IP have gone up over the last four years. SOs have always been good. With this line-up and defense behind him, this could be when the stars all line up right for Josh Beckett.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It could also mask how mediocre he can be too :)

I'm probably thinking that Zito winning(or coming close) is very much not happening. He's going to a new league and they haven't seen his nasty stuff yet.

I believe Derek Lowe is in his final year of his contract so he should do well. His era in the spring has been super low.

I really don't know how to feel about the Braves winning the east. After last year the shine wore off.

I will say the Marlins could be a surprise team. They could also be like the Royals after a surprise year..

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Great signing for the Tigers. Guillen is really one of the underated short stops in the league, and now is getting his due.

On a down note for the Tigers, Kenny Rogers will now miss half the season after surgery to remove a blood clot. In a way though, this could be a blessing, he should be fresh for a playoff run.

I think Jeremy Bonderman is going to have by far his best year yet. He has been better than average, especially for a two pitch pitcher, but now he has added a change up and Pudge said he is going to be devastating this year. Opening day for the Tigers is Monday home against the Blue Jays!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh no. It looks like MLB is going to seriously crack down on the Sox for allowing Johnny Pesky to be in the dugout in uniform.

HERE'S the Boston Globe's take on the story.

Hey look, it's another old man (just like Buck O'Neil) who has devoted his life to the game and the league who's going to get his heart broken. Way to go...

I realize he could get hurt...even killed by sitting in that dugout. But if he had the choice, I bet Johnny (87 years old) wouldn't rather go any other way. Nomar's got the right idea.

Johnny with Julio Lugo:

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
As a Met fan, I'm surprised to see so many picking the Mets to win the division. I'm worried about their rotation, the right handers in the bullpen and a pretty old team overall that is a year older from last season. How many 40+ year old players do they have on the opening day roster? Four?

I'm picking the Phillies to win the NL East and Mets to make the Wild Card barely over the Braves. Hate to say it, but the Braves are on their way up.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Predictions:

AL East: Yankees
Al West: Angels
AL Wild Card: Indians

NL Central: Brewers
NL Wild Card: Cardinals

AL MVP: Bobby Abreu
AL Cy Young: Mariano Rivera

NL MVP: Albert Pujols
NL Cy Young: Carlos Zambrano

Go Yankees!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Predictions:

AL: Red Sox, Twins, Angels, Yankees (wc)
NL: Dodgers, Mets, Cardinals, Cubs (wc)

Pujols, A-Rod (mvp)
Santana, Oswalt (Cy)

Bonds will not reach Aaron this year, but Sosa will get to 600.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I find that tough to agree with, Brian. If Barry stays healthy, I think it would be hard for him NOT to reach 755. He hit two HRs in his first two at-bats in tonight's game against the Athletics in Oakland!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Alright, guess I'll give some predictions, even though it's going to be a total homer pick.

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Cleveland
AL West: LA-Aneheim
AL Wild Card: Minnesota

NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: St. Louis
NL West: Arizona
NL Wild Card: Philadelphia

NL Champs: Atlanta
AL Champs: Cleveland

Braves over The Tribe in 6 :)

Anyway, the Mets beat the Cards tonight. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still absolutely terrified of that Mets lineup. We'll just see how the starting rotation holds up.

EricW

Senior HTF Member

yeah, it's too bad. i have a baseball package with my cable and get to see pretty much all the games. that's one historical moment i won't be watching.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Good choice being a contract year and all.

I saw some of the ESPN predictions. Several like the Dodgers to win the NL but I fear they won't have the slugging to win. They have the pitching. I don't know if Pitching and Defense can win anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks