What's new

2007 MLB Playoffs (Predictions and Discussion) (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of which, I haven't seen a Mark Hastings post in a long time. It seems he left HTF in a huff.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Tribe had a 7-1 lead but Manram and Ortiz homered. It's getting interesting though I wonder if it's too late.

I wouldn't want to face Carmona and Sabathia having to win 3 games in a row.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of promotions and sponsorships, the Cubs are notorious for milking them to the max. One of their sponsors is an insurance company, and the radio announcers bring up its name at least once per game in the context of "here's hoping the Cubs get some insurance runs...and for all your insurance needs, see Allstate." The problem is that the bit is mentioned even when the Cubs are losing. I remember when the Cubs were down by about 7 runs in the 8th and Pat Hughes was forced (contractually, I imagine) to say something like, "hopefully the Cubs can score some runs and take the lead, and then get some insurance runs..."

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
After the miracle comeback against the Yankees I won't count them out but they are on life support that's for sure.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, they have certainly backed themselves into a corner.

But, Beckett pitches Game #5 in Cleveland and Schilling pitches Game #6 in Fenway before the faithful. You gotta figure the Sox have pretty good chances to win those games. That would lead to a Game #7 where (as they say) anything can happen. The Sox were 51-30 at home. Matsuzaka is 8-4 @ Fenway.

Could happen. :D

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
This year is starting to remind me of 1997 a bit: the Yankees are happy to make the playoffs as the wildcard so that they don't have to face their current nemesis (Mariners then, Angels now). Then they end up losing to the Indians anyway who then beat the AL East winner to face the NL Wild card team in the World Series. If history repeasts itself, look for the Rockies to beat Cleveland in 7 games, due to Borowski blowing a save.

At this point, however, it's hard to imagine the Rockies losing 3 games.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I read this last night, I gave my son (the Yankee fan) a copy and he exploded.

"What if Derek Jeter (or any Yankee) was quoted saying this?! The NY press would try to run them out of town!", he said.

I'm not sure what to think. I find Manny to be an intriguing figure...not completely unlike Ted Williams. Both have mercurial personalities. Well-liked by teammates and those who come to know them but not well-known by anyone else (outside their inner circle).

While I've been wondering why someone from the Angels or Indians hasn't thrown some chin music at Manny, I wonder if they might know better than us distant observers. Otherwise, I don't know why they don't do it. I know it's the post-season (when every at-bat counts and situations get amplified)...but since Manny is getting walked and blasting HRs at every turn, it seems like it would have been done.

Here's what Manny had to say about posing. From mlb.com:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nah, we get Manny and love him. As much as the press and a certain group of fans may want him to be a Trot Nixon type who goes ballistic over every failure, that's not who Manny is. I suspect that the fact that Manny can pretty quickly put bad results behind him (aside from practicing his butt off, which hasn't gotten much play until recently) is part of why he's so consistently good in every situation.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Manny is Manny. Part of who he is is the fact that he looks at each game, each at bat, as not counting for anything yet counting for everything vis a competition between him and the pitcher. After the at bat (or the game) is over, it is OVER!! That's why his numbers are astoundingly constant over the years. He plays the game for the joy of the game, which may or may not be a perfect approach. But it's Manny and that's all he knows. Like his numbers, his approach is a constant - "See the ball, hit the ball". Can anyone really argue with him?

EDIT: Uhhh, what Jason said (complete with the disturbing, yet accurate, Jeter portrayal).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Oh yeah, he knows. Manny after 2004's WS win was not ignorant of the significance in baseball history, quite the opposite. I find his "My fans tell me 'You made me so happy' and I have to say to them 'No, you made me happy to do this for you!'" interview to be one of the most refreshing in all of baseball. This wasn't a guy who didn't "get it", it was a guy who "got it" better than most. Manny loves his fans and he "gets" his fans take on the game, which is why we can forgive the big galoot for 99% of the questionable stuff he does (well, that and his first ballot lock HOF career).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh, I get all that, Jeff! :D

I'm questioning his knowledge of geography! :) Not "what" Cooperstown is...but "where" it is!

I wonder if he's ever been to the H-O-F?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
As Larry David would say, Beckett is good -- pretty, pretty good.

It will be interesting to see if he pitches in Game 7 (if there is one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks