What's new

2007 MLB Playoffs (Predictions and Discussion) (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
No idea, but they kept it online only which pissed off a lot of local fans. Then the servers crashed today when they did go onsale. Something like 9million hits in an hour. Estimates of around 500 tickets actually got sold. They are retrying tomorrow at noon, online again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Turns out that the only Boston pitcher NOT available to pitch in the ALCS Game #7 was Wakefield. Apparently his back is really giving him problems.

I hope he's available for Game #4 of the WS. I can only imagine what the knuckleball might look like in the thin air of Coors Field. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying very hard not to imagine that; I'm thinking it might be a good idea to make him the Game 2 started for the specific purpose of avoiding it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the thinness of air might give it even a little more dipsey-doodle. :D

Kinda like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Guys might swing two or three times on the same pitch! :laugh:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Breaking stuff, including knuckleballs, dies in the altitude. Plus, Wakefield's a fly ball pitcher anyway.

It might be a moot point; I've heard Wake's back is acting up again. They'd probably replace him with Lester in the rotation (apparently, the Rockies suck against lefties) and Tavarez on the roster. Which also avoids the problem of having to waste a spot in the lineup on Mirabelli one day.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Breaking stuff dies in thin air because of reduced friction on the spinning ball, which causes less of an airfoil effect, thus decreasing the curve of the ball. A knuckleball does not spin at all and thus the effect of air conditions on a knuckler has been argued by everyone from fans to physicists; so like the hot/cold, humid/dry, stadium/dome and windy/calm arguments, I believe the dense vs. thin air effect is probably up for grabs.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually I was thinking about the players themselves running low on oxygen and getting tired quicker at altitude. An outfielder running around a lot may find himself tired after a few innings at 5,000 feet.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
... And that, gentlemen, is how we do it in the American League. :)

I've got a conference call with colleagues in Colorado in about fifty minutes, which should be fun. The phrase "so, that's your team's best starting pitcher?" might get broken out.

That said, I don't expect the rest of the series to be nearly as lopsided - there's only one Beckett - but, wow, was that fun.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I guess if you're gonna give up 13 (or however many) runs, you might as well do it on a night Beckett is shutting down your offense ...

Phil_L

Second Unit
I had the distinct pleasure of being at Fenway for Game 1. BEST. GAME. EVER! What a great way to kick it off. Bringing Gange in usually gives me an ulcer, but with the 12-run lead, that move was sure not to have much of a negative effect on the game. He pitched surprisingly well.

Oh yeah............and Beckett was brilliant.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not unless we gain the ability to look into a parallel universe where it took them five to seven games to beat the Diamondbacks. Admittedly, I'm a big enough Sox fan to think that the first two games would be somewhat similar either way - the Wednesday night beating was the same sort that Boston administered to Cleveland the last couple of days, and the second game is one that really shouldn't have been so close (the Sox usually do nasty things to pitchers as wild as Jiminez).

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I'm still wondering how Holliday ended up about 10 feet from first base when Papelbon picked him off to end the 8th. The only time I've ever seen anyone out by that much on a pickoff is when they're already running toward second!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
HAD to be an out-and-out brain fart. The announcers said that was Papelbon's first major-league pick-off.

It was also pretty amazing that Holliday's hit didn't take down Papelbon! :eek: I think Pap's dancing moves may have helped! :D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Holliday forgot about Ellsbury's steal earlier in the game and got distracted by having the weight of an entire nation's desire for a free taco weighing on his shoulders? ;)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
There was a blog post somewhere that went with the obviously more complete "Tacoby Bellsbury"... *groan*

Maybe those "participating outlets" of Taco Bell will be playing a muzak version of "Sweet Caroline" when people come in for their free food? :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks