What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I agree regarding the possession rule. The ball never moved in Tyree's hands/helmet when the tip of the ball touched the ground. This possession rule was added after Tampa Bay had a pass ruled incomplete late in the NFC title game against the Rams several years ago. And Brandon is correct -- the play happened in the last two minutes, so it would have been a booth review, not a coach's challenge.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Even so, Belichick could've called a timeout and talked to the officials about reviewing the play and that would have given the booth more time to think about reviewing it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

This is true. It wouldn't have mattered in the end, though, since it was a catch.

I think Belichick's biggest coaching gaffe was passing up a 48 yards field goal to go for it on fourth and 13 earlier in the game. He may not have that much confidence in his rookie kicker, but I still think the odds would have been better than getting a first down in that situation, considering how well the Giants defense was playing.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This discussion reminds me of what a member of the Dallas Cowboys said prior to them winning their first Super Bowl after years of post-season frustration: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, the Cowboys would have a Merry Christmas". At some point you just have to say "ok, it's a done deal, and the (insert team name here) lost".

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

gotta agree as I was screaming at my TV that moment...

Ron Woodson (who predicted a NY win) stated there would be a defining moment when NY would stop NE. Guess that series was it...Along with the gaffe of having man-to-man on Plexico during the last TD.

Still dumbfounded how out-smacked NE was on sheer intensity.

Has there been any comment from BB concerning the "leaving w/1 second" incident ? I surely hope he saw the on-field clock tick down to Zero, and the man is not that classless....

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes, but it wasn't like major league/minor league in baseball. It was closer as is evidenced by the SBs being tied at 2and 2 after 4 of them.

As for going for it on 4th and long, may BB was channeling Marty?:) Or maybe he was flashing back in time to earlier in the season when the offense could move the ball at will. Boneheaded decision and I'm not used to seeing such a glaring mistake from BB.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Michael Wilbon blasted BB for this on PTI yesterday. Somebody at work said he thought the clock momentarily ticked down to zero, and then a second was put back on the clock. If that is the case, Belichick may have thought the game was over. I never saw that happen with the clock, but I was not paying too close attention at that point, since the game was essentially over. A lot of players and coaches were on the field, so there was a lot of confusion, too.

This one is too tough to criticize without knowing more, IMO.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That was one of a couple of clock oddities during the game.

Everyone thought the game was over and Belichick had already shook hands with Tom Coughlin at mid-field, so I don't see what the fuss is about.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wilbon suffered a heart about 1 week ago, and he was full of piss-n-vinegar on PTI yesterday, and you have to wonder if he thinks he's living on borrowed time and just going out with a blaze of gory. I think his indignation over BB's leaving the field early was a little self-serving, and given both coaches met in the middle of the field to shake hands, the rest of the hoopla is so overblown and inconsequential, even as a look into the psyche of BB. It's easier for the viewer to see that 1 second got put back on the clock towards the end, but for those on the field, it was a chaotic mess as everyone stormed the field of play, so Wilbon's assessment is just an overblown reaction to the situation.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Yes, the clock did run down to zero, then back up to one. As Belichick went to Coughlin to shake hands, one of the referees seemed to be trying to stop Belichick and tell him that there was still time on the clock.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

That's what I heard, just looking for additional clarification/sources. Guess no one is whining about Coughlin meeting BB at mid-field ?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
That's because Coughlin didn't leave the field after the refs told them there was still time on the clock.

It was classless of BB but typical behavior.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've got the game recorded, and here's what the FOX clock did:

:02
:01
:00
:02 - Belichick seems to look at clock, starts running onto the field (I'm guessing the FOX and stadium clock aren't completely in sync)
:01 - Belichick and Coughlin hug, photographers surround them

So what if Belichick didn't stay on the field? Should he have gone back to Coughlin and congratulate him again after it struck zero again? It's one freakin' second. The game was over. The kneeldown was a formality, and the clock already (mistakenly) struck zero.

If Tony Dungy was in the same situation and did what Belichick did, then I would've been a bit shocked and surprised. But what actually happened was nothing out of the ordinary.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Exactly, you can say that BB was confused about it and all...well then maybe he shouldn't ignore the referee who is trying to explain the situation to him.

Then again, he has been proven to be a coach that either ignores legue rules or interprets them to suit his own end so ignoring those who are meant to enforce those rules isn't that much of a stretch.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Just letting my friends here know that this morning my wife and I welcomed our second son, Gavin David Michael to the world. He was 9lbs, 11oz, the exact same size as our first child. Although, in my wifes family that is considered a bit small. Her dad was 12lbs, 6oz and 26inches long. I might post a pic when I get home in the next couple of days.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, congratulations are in order for Brandon and family.

I hope that your son has the good sense not to become a Lions fan, or failing that...the endurance to survive Lions fandom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks