What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Definately a great 4th quarter, but no where near the 'best Super Bowl ever'-- III, X, XIII, XXXIII, XXV, XXXII, XXXIV, XXXVI, XXXVIII just to name a few that might rank right up there.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think a lot of people have very short memories. I'll say this though. Of all the great Super Bowls, this was the most recent.

Am I alone in thinking it showed a remarkable absence of class for Belicheck to leave the field before the game was over? I know he thought it had ended at first, but by the time he left, it was quite clear it wasn't over.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter

Boring???!!!

What a tremendous defensive game. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and I don't like either team. I am a Cowboys fan.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You're not alone, I agree. And to echo Alex, my biggest disappointment is that Junior did not get his ring. That's what I was really rooting for.

And how the hell was Eli able to get away from that sack at the end? Without that play, who knows?

Hind sight makes for perfect vision, but the dominant, blow 'em out of the park Pats disappeared several games ago. They still found ways to win, but struggled to do it. Don't forget the Ravens game, I think. The Pats get 3 tries at a 4th down ( 1) opposing team timeout, 2) offensive illegal procedure 3) they make the first down), if they don't get the first they lose. They got stopped on tries 1 and 2.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To whomever said they won't boo Eli in NY again, this season they won't. But the Giants have an off year next year and miss the playoffs or don't go far in them, the NY fans will booing again.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the Giants. You owned the line of scrimmage tonight and deserved to win. If anyone sees the Patriots O-line, please let them know they missed a game in Arizona tonight.

Hurts too much to say more.

This wasn't a case of pre-game arrogance. The New York Post had a similar book up for pre-sale on Amazon this week, called Road Warriors.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin

I agree (except for the part about being a Cowboys fan). I almost couldn't take the tension.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Definitely not the best Super Bowl ever. You know how the 4th quarter played out, with every down you were on the edge of your seat and there were great performances in that 4th quarter, well, the greatest Superbowl would be like that all game.
And the MVPs of this game are the Giants D (too). The Giants D played their asses off. A superb performance by them. There were a number of great GREAT plays by them all game, but Manning was just good and Brady was just pretty good for the first 3 quarters.
Still, it ended well. I'll take that ending over a blowout even if it was the team I was rooting for.

The play of the game/year/decade may have been that play where Manning eluded seemingly the entire Patriot rush and connected with Tyrese. What a play !

The Giants D really outplayed the Giants offense, you know. A pointless comparison: absolutely, but that was by far the worst Brady had seen all year.

Screw Moss too. I took the 14 and it paid.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I think we're going to start hearing cries of "trade Jeremy Shockey!" pretty soon because the Giants will need to replace Michael Strahan, who might be retiring after the game today. By trading Shockey, the Giants could get a better draft position and get a decent replacement defensive end.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a religious man, but occasionally a nebulous something or other calls out to me saying: 'There is a reason it is good to believe in morality, in doing the right thing, in rejecting the superficial, the here and now, the easy path.' That is the Zen part of me. There's another part of me that is derived from the sandbox, and it says: 'Cheaters never prosper.'

This collection of frauds, their management, their ownership, and most of all, their coaches, deserve this loss. Oh, yeah, best of all, the fans of the New England Patriots can now lay claim to the title of 'Greatest Team Never to Win a Title.'

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Expecting class from Belichick is like expecting stale food to taste good. It's not gonna happen. He's in it to win it, and that's it.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Belichick is scum, and he deserves everything he doesn't get (a 4th ring), and everything he does (hopefully, Leavenworth, but failing that, a lifetime suspension from the NFL).

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, almost forgot: Biggest Upset in NFL history ! (Steve Young said so).

Well, I am not an NFL historian type guy, I cant put it in context, but its definitely the biggest upset in a long time and very meaningful !

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, it's tough on Boston fans. After being able to hang the "biggest choke ever" on the 2004 Yanks, their Pats take control 3 years later. It's not fair, but life isn't. Now Spygate *doesn't* go away. Speculation actually intensifies...once caught cheating, they can't win a close SB. That said, they still have a tremendous core of talent, but they are going to have to pay to keep them. I don't necessarily buy into all that...but it's a long offseason for Pats fans. This loss never goes away. Neither do the whispers.

In the draft four years ago, three QB's were taken in the top 11 or 12 picks. Two of them have won SB's, and the other is on a loaded team. Pretty strong year!

Just amazing post-season by the G-Men. Even further, that's twice in the last three years that a wild card hoists the Lombardi. That's parity.

Does Belicheck bailing on his team with a second, plus Spygate (now), affect his HoF chances?? I think he still makes it, but not first ballot.

EDIT: Lastly, the downside of this is listening to the 72 Dolphins AGAIN. There is a reason they aren't listed on the top 5 teams ever. They aren't. While I celebrate a Giants win, that's part of the price.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
This is not a time for being reasonable. It's a time to celebrate right versus wrong, for good versus evil, for David versus Goliath, and for somebody beating the New England Patriots.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

If you're talking post NFL-AFL merger, it definitely ranks above the Giants win over the Bills in Super Bowl XXV in terms of an upset (I consider the Jets' win in Super Bowl III still the biggest upset for this game). I wonder did coach Tom Coughlin borrowed Bill Parcells' old playbook from the 1990 season and won the game the same way the Giants stopped the Bills' vaunted offense. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks