What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've seen some weird stuff this season.

-A very experienced coach calls two consecutive timeouts and likely costs his team the game.

-Undefeated NE gets three bites at the apple on 4th down. First when the Ravens stuff the run, but timeout was called by the Ravens bench before the play. Without the timeout, NE is done, undefeated season gone. Second when the Ravens again stop the run, but NE was called for illegal procedure on the play, thus no play. Third, NE makes a first down. Well jeez, get three tries and you aughta be able to make it.

-A field goal attempt hits an upright, goes over the bar, strikes the supporting upright and bounces back into the field of play. First ruled unsuccessful, it is reviewed and determined to be good. It changes the result of the game.

-A punt lands point down and sticks into the muck of the field as if it were a dart. I burst out laughing when I saw this, you could see a player or two kinda hesitate. I'll bet more than a few thought "what the...".

I've never seen any of these events before, and they all happened in one season and I happened to be watching them all.

The most unlikely thing that could happen, hasn't yet, and won't. Chargers win the SB...yeah, right.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
The Patriots have dodged two bullets the last two weeks. Both the Eagles and the Ravens were stuffing the run game down the Pats throat. Why didn't they keep at it? Will Pittsburgh do the same? As a Pats fan, I was, shall we say, anxious. It seems to me that a good running team should keep pounding the run. I'll bet the Pats linebackers were shell shocked after Monday's game. I hope the Pats rediscover their passing game for Sundays outing, otherwise. . .well. . .12 and 1 is still pretty damned good.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one that thinks that Jacksonville could be trouble for New England in the playoffs because they have a good running game with several backs to throw out and a good defense?

There has indeed been a lot of "weird" stuff going down this year.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think the biggest ??? for NE is how they'll play that offense at home in January. I agree that Jax could be a major pain, as they have a NASTY defense up front and a strong run game. That said, the Pats rank in the top 10 in rushing. But can their undersized (and outstanding) O-Line run block for a whole game?

But 12-0 says it all. Until they get beaten...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I think the Jags and Steelers are the two teams with the best chance of knocking off the Pats. It would take a combination of bad weather and a solid defensive effort, but any team can be beat. The question is, will it happen to the Pats? Only time will tell. They have certainly dodged bullets the past two weeks.

James_S

Second Unit

Great question, I think.....

I would think the normal rule would fall into place: A kickoff is illegal unless it travels 10 yards OR is touched by the receiving team. Once the ball is touched by the receiving team or has gone 10 yards, it is a free ball. Receivers may recover and advance. Kicking team may recover but NOT advance UNLESS receiver had possession and lost the ball.

Now, if the receiving team knocks it out of the endzone, I would think it would be a safety.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jacksonville usually gives the Colts a good game, but seldom get the brass ring. In the last game, the QBs fumble and subsequent TD by the Colts, put them behind the 8-ball and they never got out from behind it. That TD made it seem like Jacksonville was always having to play uphill.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
WEEK 14 PICKS

Chicago over Washington
Buffalo over Miami
Dallas over Detroit
Cincinnati over St. Louis
Green Bay over Oakland
Tampa Bay over Houston
Jacksonville over Carolina
Philadelphia over Giants
San Diego over Tennessee
Minnesota over San Francisco
Seattle over Arizona
New England over Pittsburgh
Denver over Kansas City
Cleveland over Jets
Indianapolis over Baltimore
New Orleans over Atlanta

Last Week 9-7
Overall 114-78

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Steelers were the team that broke up the last Patriot unbeaten streak. Conversely the Steelers unbeaten streak was broken by the Patriots. As long as the Steelers don't come out flat(like they have recently), they should give the Pats a game. Their defense is ferocious.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Chicago over Washington

I'll edit in the rest of my picks later in the week.

Here are the rest of my picks for the week.

Dallas over Detroit
Buffalo over Miami
NY Giants over Philadelphia
Green Bay over Oakland
San Diego over Tennessee
Cincinnati over St. Louis
Tampa Bay over Houston
Seattle over Arizona
Cleveland over NY Jet
Denver over Kansas City
New Orleans over Atlanta

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Steelers safety guarantees win over Patriots this week. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3144704 That is getting to be so old in pro sports.

The Lions will get pummeled this week, but I don't like players talking about purposefully taking cheap shots at other players. This game is way to rough for that garbage, you could end someones career, or worse. The Dallas-Detroit game could get pretty chippy.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
On the subject of stupid pronouncements, I am picking the Lions over the Cowboys this week.

I mean what's the worse that can happen...I'll be seen as a stupid, delusional Lions fan (which may be redundant and repetitive). I mean it seems to me Lions fans have two choices delusional and Scott-like. :) I've been Scott-like too much so I'm giving delusional a try.

Oh, and while I think the Steelers are a good team, I am picking the Pats. They are the yin to my Lions yang.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
He may be the Emperor, but Millen is no Vader, he is more like a Storm Trooper, with his inability to do anything right. It will be our luck that the Lions will pull out this win and give people just enough hope to think the Lions still have a shot at the playoffs. The only thing I am hoping to see out of this game is Calvin Johnson being used properly.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Last night was a game of attrition. Redskins QBJason Campbell is done for the season after tearing a patella tendon and Rex Grossman got hurt as well.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

I would like to agree, as I have the Pitt D in my FF league. But I'm not so sure they are up for NE this week, and I'm leaning towards picking up a D with a better match up.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
To the football prognosticators out there, I have a question: is there one team that has been a thorn in your side? Meaning, you pickem to win, and they lose and you pickem to lose, and they win. What's the one team that's driving you crazy?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Actually, Ford resembles the Emperor in appearance only. He's not smart enough to run an evil empire. He's just some dumb rich guy whose daddy bought him an expensive toy when he was young.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
SI.com re-projects the 2007 NFL Draft based on the season so far:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

I'm surprised Don didn't have the Lions still picking a WR despite now knowing that the Lions need a running back. The Lions picking a WR instead of what they need makes more sense. :)

EDIT: Here are my picks for this weekend's games:

Tampa Bay over Houston
N.Y. Giants over Philadelphia
Green Bay over Oakland
Dallas over Detroit
Buffalo over Miami
San Diego over Tennesee
Cincinnatti over St. Louis
Seattle over Arizona
Kansas City over Denver
Cleveland over N.Y. Jets
New Orleans over Atlanta

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks