What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I'll convert you to the dark side of Lions fandom yet, Brandon. :laugh: Just a few more years of disappointment, and you'll learn to treat the team with the same jaded skepticism I do.

BTW, I still have a good chance of being correct on my 6-10 preseason prediction. ;) Only the Chiefs stand in my way, 'cause they are losing to Dallas, San Diego and Green Bay.

Seriously, this one was easy to see coming, even with the 6-2 start. They have a terrible offensive line, no secondary, one decent linebacker, had played a ridiculously easy early schedule, and had won games with the opponents turning the ball over a lot. The 2nd half of the schedule was a lot harder, and the turnovers had to slow down some.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"Join me and together we can bitch about Emperor Millen as father and son."

I'll NEVER join you! :P

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The worst thing is all true Lions fans eventually end up looking like the emperor !

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I agree, the timeout call from the sidelines.. WORST CALL EVER. The defense of the Ravens lost all composure after that, penalties, frustration and weirdness set in.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Very odd ending to the game, and what the hell were they thinking with that time out? Bart Scott throwing the officials flag was pretty funny though.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Word out of Detroit today is that both Kevin Jones and Roy Williams want out of Detroit and have no plans on staying when the contract runs out. Williams more so because he wants to get closer to home in Texas, Jones because he is sick of losing and sick on not being used. He has carried the ball 20 times once this season and as you may know, only had a couple of carries last week. Its time for the Lions to do something drastic, fire Martz, fire Millen, fire Marinelli, throw the bank at someone like Jimmy Johnson, who runs a real offense, knows how to handle players, and at least get this team on the right track.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Brandon-

The language you speak is foreign to the ownership. Please call back later with a translation.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's not going to happen, Brandon. The owner is an old, drunken buffoon who is not qualified to run a lemonade stand, let alone a sports franchise worth $600 million. I don't blame any player for wanting out with this team. There is no hope as long as old man Ford is still in charge.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Oh, I know it would never happen, I'm just saying what they should do. Roy leaving would not bother me so much. I feel that Kevin Jones is a talented back that has been severely under used in his time here in Detroit and really has the desire to be a part of the offense and to win. I honestly think my wife would be better at evaluating free agents and draft picks than Mr. Millen is. I'm seriously thinking about quitting the Lions, I mean what is the point other than masochism.

Jim_F

Screenwriter

It's been attempted by stronger men than I. Lion fandom to me is an insane compulsion akin to watching an instant replay over and over and hoping it will turn out different next time.

RichardK

Second Unit
The Cowboys will take the real Roy Williams off Detroits hands for Terry Glenn and Julius Jones. lol! :) just kidding. As a Cowboys fan, I hate playing the Lions! not kidding.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Same here. I've just learned to expect the worst after almost 40 years of watching them. That way, I'm never disappointed. Also, I've won several bets with the more delusional Lions fans around here. Last year it was the over/under on number of wins (I had under 5). This year I bet someone when they were 6-2 that they would not win a playoff game. My only regret is that I didn't make it double if they didn't even make the playoffs -- this guy was talking Super Bowl :laugh: .

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Alright, I know what the funniest thing I could ever see in the world would be.

So on Sunday, during Fox Pregame, I want to see Jimmy Johnson talking and all of a sudden he gets hit in the face with a piggy bank thrown off screen. Camera pans over to William Ford who says: "Ok Brandon, I threw the bank at him, now what do I do?"

Come on, that would rule and you guys know it.

Or he could get confused and offer the coaching job to Jimmy Johnson the Nascar driver.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The end to last night's game (specifically in regards to all the unsportsmanlike penalties added to the Patriot's kickoff) inspired a thought that it would be funny to see a team be penalized so much that the kicking team would kick off from the 5 yard line of the opponent. Here's a question: if the kicking team were to recover an onsides kick in the endzone, would it count since it didn't (and couldn't) go 10 yards?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hmmm...I'm not sure. The goal line is the boundary to a "magical place" so it might count.

But if the Lions kicked it they would be flagged for leaving too early and the other team would pick it up and run it back for the longest onsides kick return in NFL history. During the return Kitna would somehow get knocked on his backside while trying to fire up his offensive line on the sideline. Kevin Jones still wouldn't get a carry. :)

Users who are viewing this thread