What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Vick's co-defendants get 18 and 21 months, if you ask me, this does not bode well for a short sentence for the mastermind. I'm thinking he gets 2-3 years, and now a trial date has been set for the state trials.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
4 losses in a row. This season is rapidly becoming a nightmare for the Lions. 6-2 at the beggining of November and only 1 game out of 1st in the North and now they're 6-6 and starting to put themselves out of the playoff picture.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, the prosecutor had recommended 12-18 months on the first (he got the maximum within the sentencing agreement) and 16-24 on the second (he got the max, but 21 with time already served).

So, uh.. If Vick were to get the max of his potential agreement it would be up to 36 months. (3 years) which would basically end his career. However, there is still a lot of thought that he will also get 18 months. That would also set him out of the league until at least the 2010 season, which would also likely end his career. (remember, NFL league probations would not come into effect until after he's signed with a team after release, so it could be longer then that without a league waiver).

Chiefs suck (but, that may be good.. we made some smart draft picks the last few years in Bowe and Derrick Johnson, etc. and I feel we might as well tank and try something different rather then eternal mediocrity). Detroit REALLY sucks. Talk about a way to s8(& can a season.

So, uh, Adrian Peterson, season ending injury.. guess not.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

While this was thought to be true for a long time, including by me, it is actually not true. Jarrod Cooper served a 4-game suspension earlier this year while not a member of any team's roster and IIRC so did Tank Johnson (but his suspension was what 8 games?)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Lions will win no more than one game the rest of the season. Their only hope is home against against the Chiefs. This collapse comes as no surprise to me. Detroit is not a good team, and their good early season start was an illusion resulting from a very weak schedule.

So, what draft pick will they get with a 6-10 or 7-9 record for Millen to screw up?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I thought Calvin Johnson was the greatest thing since sliced bread, or supposed to be.. so, you never know about Millen. I'm sure there is another WR out there for him in those spots.

I'll start looking.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I looked around and if Millen took another WR, it'll probably be DeSean Jackson of California or Mario Mannigham of That School Up North That Shall Not Be Named. :)

Dolphins fall to 0-12. Ouch.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn't see the Washington/Buffalo game but it has been reported that the Redskins lined up with 10 defenders on one play in honor of Taylor. Will someone give some details on how this was handled. Was it the first defensive play from scrimmage for the Redskins? Did they actually run the play one player short or call a timeout to get the 11th player in?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It was the first defensive play for the Skins and yes they ran the play.

You can read all about it at ESPN.com.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunate call of timeout in the 'Skins game.

I know you're all probably curious, or not, what I thought of JaMarcus Russell's debut. In short, I thought he looked fine for someone who hadn't played in nearly a year. My fears of him being a bust decreased some after his performance. He drove the team well, there were some things that happened on the 2 drives that hurt them but weren't necessarily his fault, a bad snap and of course a penalty. But I thought he showed good command of what they asked him to do plus he was alert and reacted well which in one instance at least prevented a big mistake that would've happened. Basically, he botched a handoff with one of the backs but caught it in the air and kept it and turned it in to something.

Oh, and on a possibly related to the game note, my brother isn't taking my phone calls.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Ever since Millen has been in charge, it has been some "special" offensive system, the failed West Coast system under Marty and Mooch, and then the Mad Martz can't stop us system. It is time for a traditional pro set offense, two wide receivers, tight end, running back, full back. That is more of what is working around the league right now.

I still think Calvin will be the better wide out over Roy Williams, they actually need to use him. The Lions are a fraud and need help in so many areas. The more the season goes, the less confidence I have in Marinelli. Every week, he takes the blame, every week he says he didn't coach the team well. Its never the other team was better or a certain player was better. Sometimes you just have to admit that the other team is better or they have a stud that you should game plan around.

Lets hope for another 5 year extension for Millen.

Pretty cool what the Skins did in honor of Taylor.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Why, oh why do I care? Why do I get my hopes up? I actually believed that the Lions would make a statement yesterday. Well, I guess they did. The statement is this: "We are the Lions and we suck." :frowning:

This thread is funny to go back and read. "Kitna is an idiot and the Lions will stink yet again." "Wait, the Lions have won as many as last year." "Maybe Kitna was right and they might make the playoffs" "Oh, yeah they're the Lions and Kitna was an idiot." [OPTIMISM] Well, they still have a chance for the playoffs since they are in the NFC [/OPTIMISM] :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I read the article and was surprised to read the defensive coach decided to do it without informing the HC. I think it was a touching gesture, but if I was the HC, I'd be asking him he didn't bring the idea to me so I could ok it.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
Considering the HC called 2 timeouts in a row moving a FG in by 15 yards to lose at the end of the game, I'd say - don't bother.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Ok ok, so I am the one I guess that was at least somewhat buying into what the Lions are doing. Expectations changed through the year, and with four games to go they have already met Scott's expectations for the year. Now, they very well may not win again, but they have doubled their win total from a year ago. This team needs lots of help, and it would start with a new GM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks