What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Shane, the Steelers are very unfortunate to be in the shadow of the Pats and Colts in the AFC this season. If Pittsburgh was in the NFC, they would be the favorite to make it to the Super Bowl. However, I do not think there is any way they can get through both Indy and New England in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Andy Reid step down by the end of the season, either, due to his family issues. Could we see the return of Marty "I'll Take The Wind" Morninhweg as a head coach soon? Philly fans should be very afraid.

Before we leave the subject of washed up quarterbacks, I was in South Carolina last weekend and caught part of the Tennessee - Carolina game on TV. David Carr looks absolutely horrible. He has no pocket presence, and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a throw.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
If Morninhweg becomes the Eagles' head coach, yes we would be very afraid. I would fear another 3-13 season.

The Steelers did lose to a couple of average teams, so I can see them not getting any respect.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Take away the Ravens' turnovers and Monday's game would have been very different. None of the Steelers' "real" offensive drives from their own territory seemed to go anywhere.

That made this Steeler fan kind of nervous despite the blowout score.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Scott and Brandon, did you see this article by Rob Parker:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2007711050380

I tend to agree with his sentiment that we should just enjoy there current success. It is weird to see and hear the Lions mentioned in the national media (not as a joke) and I have been enjoying it. That said...Scott I agree with you that their schedule gets a lot tougher and it is hard to believe in the Lions being successful. Still...all they have to do to reach the 10 win plateau is go 4-4 in the final eight games. That seems doable and a 10-6 record should get them in the playoffs. Which would be weird...and hard to believe...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I got that same impression. It looked to me like the score was a result more of the Raven's incompetence than the Steelers' superiority. What kind of a game is it that leaves both sides unsatisfied?

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Week 10 Picks

Pittsburgh over Cleveland
Green Bay over Minnesota
Philadelphia over Washington
Tennessee over Jacksonville
Carolina over Atlanta
Kansas City over Denver
Buffalo over Miami
New Orleans over St. Louis
Cincinnati over Baltimore
Chicago over Oakland
Dallas over Giants
Detroit over Arizona
Indianapolis over San Diego
Seattle over San Francisco

LAST WEEK 7-7
OVERALL 74-56

Glad I don't make a living on making picks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been doing the NFL Pickems, so here's my pickem progress so far:

10/16
11/16
8/16
7/14
11/14
7/13
8/14
11/13
9/14

Cumulative so far:

82/130 (63.1%)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Tennessee over Jacksonville
Kansas City over Denver
Buffalo over Miami
Pittsburgh over Cleveland
New Orleans over St. Louis
Carolina over Atlanta
Washington over Philadelphia
Green Bay over Minnesota
Baltimore over Cincinnati
Chicago over Oakland
Dallas over NY Giants
Detroit over Arizona
Indianapolis over San Diego
Seattle over San Francisco

Last week 11 - 3
Season 81 - 49

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Vinatieri blows a game-winning chip shot field goal attempt in the final 2 minutes of an improbable comeback attempt by the Colts over the Chargers. Manning ended up throwing 6 INTs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Both Dallas and Green Bay took hold of their respective divisions yesterday. Meanwhile, the Lions looked like... well... the Lions against Arizona in an ugly game. Detroit faces the league's 2nd toughest schedule over the 2nd half of the season (behind the Jets), including three games against 8-1 teams -- Dallas once and Green Bay twice. Don't order those playoff tickets just yet.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would have thought the Chargers were on their way back to being a top team if they beat the Colts. Instead, they post one of the most unsatisfying wins ever. The offense does nothing all night long, only two kick returns for TDs, some timely defense, and a miss by one of the great clutch kickers of all times, saves their behinds from blowing a 23-0 lead.

It's becoming more evident they don't have a championship caliber QB. Last year, I thought Rivers would be the one, but now he looks like a fair-weather qb. He's just one cog in a machine. If the machine is working, he's ok, but he's not going to carry the team through tough times.

I don't think they can count on that combo to win many more games. If they do make it to the playoffs, it'll be one game and out, as usual.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I think the Chargers struggles this season really show how good a job the previous coaching staff did there. Norv Turner has taken basically the same team and turned it into one that is a borderline playoff team, at best.

Rivers is good enough to succeed in the right situation, but he cannot carry a team like the elite QB's such as Manning, Brady, Favre, etc. However, elite QB's like that are very difficult to find, and teams can win titles with lesser QBs, provided other aspects of the team are solid.

San Diego got by last year with an average QB because of a great RB and TE, and some very talented defensive players -- all under the direction of a very talented coaching staff.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ah, yes. Vinateri and Manning, what a pair! (last night, anyway :D )

It made this Patriot/Steelers fan feel good. ;)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The Patriots have outscored their opponents by 208 points thus far, certainly an impressive amount. Yet I just read that at this point in the season, the 1985 Bears had outscored opponents by 258. Wow.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Watching the Pats dominate the way they have, this is the first time I've really felt that a team has a good shot at going 16-0. It's still incredibly tough to do, and I expect New England to lay an egg somewhere along the way, but their schedule is quite easy the rest of the way. Only Pittsburgh, Buffalo and the Giants have winning records.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still contend that it's about when the Pats clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs. If they did it with 3 games to go, that's 3 games where the scrubs and benchwarmers get to play the majority of the game (perhaps 3/4 of the game), and then it's a toss-up as to how many of those "inconsequential" games the Pats win to get to 16-0.

If it takes them 14 or 15 games to clinch, then they might suit up the starters for at least half the game in their 15th or 16th game for a run at the regular season unbeaten streak.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I think the Patriots have to go 19-0, to count as an undefeated season. And the only way to silence the '72 Dolphins once and for all.

If recent history is any indication, the teams that got off to a 10-0 start or better, will end up losing their first game that people didn't see coming.

Example: Couple years ago, when the Colts started out 14-0, did anyone see them losing at home against the Chargers?

Anyone think the Dolphins will go 0-16?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks