What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Past History.
Andy Reid is 12-4 against the Cowboys. Playing Philly at Philly is no cake walk. I really didn't expect Philly to lay down like they did.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was out of town for the weekend, and just got done watching a recording of the Lions game. The defense is forcing mistakes and the team is taking advantage of them in a similar way to how the Bears succeeded over the past few seasons.

Yes, Brandon, the team has reached my predicted 6 wins already. However, don't buy those playoff tickets just yet. They are only a game ahead of Washington for the final wildcard spot, and the Skins own the tiebreaker. Also, the schedule includes two games against Green Bay, and single games against Dallas, San Diego, the Giants and KC -- plus a road game in Minnesota. There are only two games against teams with losing records (Minnesota and Arizona), and both of those are on the road. So, things will get tougher the rest of the way.

I missed the Pats - Indy game. :frowning:

[understatement]I think the Vikings made a good draft pick with Peterson.[/understatement]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if we'll ever see instant replay on penalties called in a game. I would love it if coaches could throw the red flag on bad penalty calls, especially on pass interference calls that can account for large chunks of yardage for the offense.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
He wait a minute, the NBA has the best officiating, wait for it, money can buy.

Those who said it was a stupid move to hire Turner as the head coach at SD have now finally been proven right. The Chargers have beaten Chicago, Oakland, Denver, and Houston. At first I thought beating Chicago was something, a super bowl team. It's now evident the Bears are a mediocre team at best. The same for the Raiders, Broncos, and Texans. The Chargers haven't beaten a quality team yet and being spanked by the Vikings should be embarrassing. I don't care how good AP is, there has to be some piss-poor play to let one runner rush for 300 yards.

Only the Chargers could have the longest play in NFL history, for a TD, and still lose the game. The AFC west is a real weak division this year, every single member lost yesterday.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't think that will happen. I don't think any organization would want to call into question the calls of the refs during the game. Afterwards, and behind closed doors, they may say to the ref to get his vision checked. On a blue moon, ref mistakes are acknowledged afterwards.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

They've been talking about it on the radio today. According to some audio engineers (taken with a grain of salt) that have called in there are a few possible reasons for it to happen that wouldn't be sinister but it does seem like the Colts are guilty of pumping in crowd noise. Apparently they were accused of doing it a couple of years ago.

I've heard the clip a couple of times on the radio and it does seem really obvious, especially with the sudden drop-off in volume once the 'skipping' stops. I'm guessing it'll hard to prove and will blow over but I sure do hope they get busted. I can't stand Polian and would love to see him have to defend this.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

To be fair, many teams have had complaints about problems with the audio signals in New England, not that that would justify anything However.

Honestly, audio piracy in some form or another is why I don't really want helmets in defenders, it may eliminate one form of cheating but up the stakes for reliable methods of another kind of cheating.

Stealing signals, pumping in crowd noise, the possibility of fooling with audio signals, whatever it is I think it is time to just own up to the fact that the game is dirtier than people would like to believe.

As a Raider fan, I'm not even going to comment on the officiating, we're not allowed to do so unless we want to be branded as complainers and conspiracy theorists neither of which is a label I'd like to believe applies to me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So how 'bout them Ravens? And Steve McNair, the master of the 2-yard pass?

How embarassing. ;)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I love McNair. He's BORDERLINE HoF (would you rather have Kelly, Moon, Marino or McNair in their prime...that's easy for me), he's the epitome of tough as nails QB leadership, and he used to throw a great ball. And he's a fierce competitor. In his prime, I'd take Steve over almost anyone. He's got too many miles on him right now, though. He needs to hang it up.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It is interesting to think back on the early regular season and even further back to the preseason. There were a lot of people considerably higher on San Francisco than I was and it looks like New England's going to get a high draft choice to offset the one they lost during the camera-gate thing.
We all also thought that Cleveland was going to be horrible and that Dallas was going to get a high pick as a result but Cleveland is rounding in to something, I'm not sure what it is just yet but it isn't top 5 draft pick material that's for sure.

I didn't see the Rams being this bad though if you had told me Miami would have laid an egg up to this point I wouldn't have found that too rediculous.

I didn't see the Giants being this good.

I thought the Chiefs would be worse and that the AFC West on average would be better. The Raiders are within the range I expected they would be in, I thought maybe they'd have a couple more wins than they do and there were a couple of winnable games they let get away from them. However, they are definitely improved over last season but the McCown era can't end soon enough for me.

Most surprising division leader is Green Bay.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
To follow on Casey's reflections at the halfway point of the season, here are some things I was wrong about:
  • The 49ers would be a contender in the NFC West
  • The Giants would finish last in their division. Coughlin would be fired.
  • The Browns would compete for the #1 overall draft pick (for Dallas). Crennel would be fired
  • The Bears were clearly the best team in the NFC North, and the Packers would finish last
  • The Lions would finish below .500.
  • The AFC West and NFC West were quality divisions. These have to be the worst two divisions in the league.

It looks like New England, Indy, and Pittsburgh have solid control of their divisions. Dallas and Green Bay still have the Giants and Lions nipping at their heels, but should be able to win their divisions. Seattle is not very good, but the rest of that division is horrible, so the Seahens should win the NFC West. That leaves the AFC West and NFC South as being up for grabs. I still think the Chargers will win, but KC is playing better than I thought they would. New Orleans seems to have turned things around, so I wouldn't be surprised if they pass Tampa.

The real battle will be for the wildcard teams. In the NFC, the Giants, Lions, Redskins, Bucs and Saints should fight for the two spots. If the Saints win their division, I'll go with the Giants and Lions. If the Bucs win their division, I'll take the Saints instead of the Lions.

In the AFC, the Titans, Browns (I can't believe I typed that), Chiefs, Ravens and Jags appear to be the contenders. I think the Browns have benefited from an easy early schedule. I'll go with the Titans and Ravens, despite their horrid performance last night.

Coaches on the hot set include Childress, Linehan, Cameron, Turner, Mangini and Marvin Lewis. I know Cameron's in his first year, but if the Dolphins go 0-16, how could his job not be in jeopardy? It looks like Coughlin and Crennel have things turned around enough to save their jobs.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I certainly didn't expect the Giants to be this good, with the retirement of Tiki Barber and the team getting off to an 0-2 start.

For the Browns, their next 2 games should tell us contenders or pretenders.

I come to grips that the Eagles will not make the playoffs, after the way they played against the NFC East teams this season. They will probably be the team that the Dolphins will get their first win against.

And I wonder if Andy Reid will return next season, with the problems he has off-the-field.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think Andy Reid will retire.

I think Marvin Lewis will also get canned and might be the first one. His team has no supervision at all and is playing terrible. He has to be gone.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't think he's going anywhere. It'll take a couple more below .500 seasons before he gets canned.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Given the arrests and such, it's very possible he has lost his team and management can make a quick change.

Casey,
Looking at observations I also thought that St Louis and SF would be better. I know I was wrong. What is surprising is Pittsburgh seems to get zero respect. They are scary good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks