What's new

2006 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Finally!

The Raiders have moved Robert Gallery to left tackle and moved Barry Sims inside to left guard. Here's hoping they can finally protect the QB's blind side.

Rob

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Possible but not likely. PFT reported that this was going to happen a few weeks before the actual draft, saying he'd either be fired or quit to avoid being fired.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I heard he didn't have any control during the draft. He was a lame duck. I am sure Bob McNair didn't want his new GM telling him what a fool he was for drafting Williams so he waited until after the draft to find a new one. Also, this way Casserly takes a lot of the heat for the bogus pick and the new GM is not blamed forever for not taking Young or Bush. Pretty smart strategy is you are a control freak miser.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Lions and Dolphins finally completed the trade of Joey Harrington. Detroit gets a 6th round draft pick next year, which could become a 5th rounder if Joey Checkdown plays enough.

There is also some speculation that Charles Rogers and Mike Williams are battling for the same roster spot, and one of them will not be with the team by the start of the season.

Gee, that would make two high first round Millen picks gone from the team in the same offseason. How does this guy still have a job? Wait, I know the answer... because Wm Clay Ford owns the team. :angry:

Here's a news flash -- the Lions will suck once again this season.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
While I don't think the Lions will be good this year, I hope and pray that they take on the personality of the new head coach, and actually put forth a strong effort even in defeat. There was too many times when they just flat out didn't try. If I have anything positive to say about Harrington is that the guy suited up, tried hard and kept his mouth shut. Even when team mates were throwing him under the bus, he was a class act. Here is a link to a video of Harrington this last year. Someone was trying to prove a point at how bad he was, and yes there are plenty of bad throws in there, I am amazed at the lack of effort by the offensive line, and the ineptitudeness of the rest of the team. It wouldn't surprise me if Joey becomes a decent player. http://media.putfile.com/Joey-2005

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll be curious about what Jed predicts for the Lions this year. Remember his 1-15 prediction or whatever from last season designed to reverse curse the Lions to get them into the playoffs? Well, they reversed his reverse curse and still missed out.

So what's it going to be for your Lions prediction this year Jed?

I know you could try and predict a -16/0 season.

Of course, Oakland's offensive coordinator has been out of football for 12 years and the last time he was in the NFL Jeff Hostetler wanted to kill him...so I'm really looking forward to this year too.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

I have to agree here. I think Harrington would make a fine backup once he's given the proper development and support, which Detroit never offered him.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Unfortunately, any team taking a QB 3rd overall in the draft wants more than "a fine backup".

As for my Lions record prediction, I'll hold off on an official one until preseason is almost done. If I had to pick now, though, it would be 4-12.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well Scott and Brandon, the 2 Lions that squeeled were Marcus Belle and James Hall according to reports.

Its a double edged sword because if the coaching staff were violating rules set forth in the CBA for offseason workouts then they needed to be punished, but the only way for that to happen is for players to inform the Union which results in them being named and making it onto the hitlist, and it makes them look like, well as Brandon said it, Candy asses.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

I agree, and feel if Harrington went to a different team at the start of his pro career, he would've turned out better. For now, though, I think the damage is already done, and a "fine backup" is probably the best you can hope for...

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
What the hell business does Marcus Bell have filing any sort of a greivance. That piece of crap should be grateful he is on an NFL team and keep his trap shut. Good for the new coaching staff. Good for them busting some ass, keep it up. The sorry players that don't like it are welcome to leave for all I care. We need something different in this town and doing it the way that has been since Millen took over hasn't worked, so lets hope for the best and expect the worse.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Maybe a little, but after watching Harrington for four years, I do not think he would have been much better elsewhere. The guy is afraid to take a hit, dumping the ball off at the first sign (real or imagined) of pressure. He doesn't have the mental toughness required to play the position at this level. He can't read a pro defensive coverage and has an erratic arm, too.

EDIT -- Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski is reporting the same complainers that Casey mentioned, with another "unnamed" player. Here is the article.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Well, it looks like Carson Palmer is on schedule (maybe ahead of schedule) for starting the season. I'm not going to get too excited as he may have a set back at some point, but I am happy to see he is doing well. WHO DEY!I hope our defense can make some improvements this year. Getting Williams back at safety should help, but if we decide to switch to a 3-4 our D may need some time to get the hang of the new schemes.

I have some questions for Eagles and Jets fans. I am in New Mexico and Hank Baskett WR (undrafted free agent from UNM) just got traded from the Vikes to the Eagles. Anyone in Philly wanna comment on his chances of making the team.

DonTrell Moore RB was also a undrafted free agent pick up. (By the Jets) Anyone know when these guys will find out if they make the team. I know that June 1st cuts are coming up but when do final rosters have to be set?

If anyone could give me some info on either I would appreciate it. Just a couple of Lobo's I enjoyed watching over the past 4 years.

Thanks in advance

tyler payne

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't wear my Jets cap often on this board, but I think most fans think they may have found a steal with Moore. Its hard to really get opinions of undrafted free agents since they are rarely talked about until preseason but everything I have read about Moore is very positive. I also think its a pretty good situation for him considering Martin is not getting any younger and there is speculation how many yards he has left in him. The negative is that the Jets overall suck, especially their offensive line.

Just a quick question, but is Ballard that WR you guys had that was like 6'6? If that is him I can't believe he didn't get drafted. He was a freak. Didn't you guys end up beating Missouri largely thanks to him? As a follower of UNLV and the MWC, that guy always impressed me. I wish the Chiefs would have signed him.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Hank Baskett started to really come alive in his junior year. he had 908 yards on 54 catches for a 16.8 yard average. His senior year he had 1071 yards on 67 catches for 16.0 yard average. He is 6'4" 220 and in high school had the New Mexico high school record in the high jump of 6'10" or 6'11". Not really fast but at the combine he did run the 40 in under 4.45. probably above average hands (made some spectacular one handed catches but only because our QB left something to be desired as far as accuracy).

I did not expect Moore or Baskett, to be first day selections, but I was a little surprised that they were not drafted at all. But like I said, just trying to get some news on some home town guys.

tyler payne

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The final cuts aren't usually until the week of the last pre-season game, and thats when the bubble players get it.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
For all the talk of Mike Martz being the mad scientist, I sure do like listening to him talk about the team and the offense. He isn't the head coach so his crazy decisions shouldn't come into play to often. He had a 15 minute Q & A session with reporters after yesterdays mini-camp session and talked about the team. Amongst the things he said were that he was very happy and surprised with the offenses effort, however except for Eddie Drummond they are "grossly out of shape". He also said that Roy Williams will be a star and that Charles Rogers has taken "huge" steps in the last 4-5 days and thinks he is going to be alright. Kevin Jones has been catching 3-400 balls a day to improve his pass catching skills out of the backfield. Wow I am really looking forward to this season. Even if they lose, the offense should be somewhat exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks