What's new

2006 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Here is some of the info from ESPN on Williams, from Len Pasqurelli or however you spell it.

"Certainly he isn't a dominating defender yet, not when he had sacks in just 16 of his 36 appearances for the Wolfpack.

Ten of his 14½ sacks in 2005 came in just three games and against lesser opponents. Half of his six sacks in 2004 came in one outing, although, granted, the opponent was Florida State. But you ask yourself: What was this guy doing the rest of the time? Maybe the Texans, who haven't had many answers for anything else in their first four seasons, actually have one for that query. "

Very interesting.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I believe Williams will be a bust. Sorry, pure physical skills are not enough. See Tony Mandarich. This guy just wasn't a dominating force in college, but I do agree that his combine numbers are off the charts. I would rather take a gamer, than a "great on paper" player. Time will tell, but I would have taken Fergusen if I were the Texans.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I actually don't KNOW with Williams. I do think Bush will become the next Metcalf. I don't see him being a three down back. I do see him being a great special teams player and scatback. But certainly not worth the first pick.

I also think Leinart will be merely competent, and that Young will be a bit of a bust. Young has huge upside, but might be the one top ten guy to just not make it.

I think Hawk is the safest pick in the draft. He'll probably start his whole career, become the D leader within two or three years, and go to a lot of Pro Bowls.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

For the first time today, we agree.

Saints take Reggie Bush, Reggie Bush, McAllister and Drew Brees. Not a bad starting point IMO.

Next up: Tennessee, Vince Young, QB, Texas.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
As a Titans fan, I think Floyd Reese is looking at the Falcons home game gate when making his decision. As I said right above Casey, Young has a big upside, but a huge potential downside. He's not that quick (mentally), and Chow runs a complicated O. This also sends McNair out the door, probably to Baltimore. And Volek gets the start this year. I hope Young lives up to his potential. But I am not expecting it :frowning:

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
If the Jets don't take Leinart, he could possibly fall to the Raiders. Could be interesting.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

And there's no guarantee they'd take him either, he could fall to Arizona, but not further than that I don't think.

Jets will take DeBrickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Good pick for the Jets. He could be the best player taken so far.

I don't think the Al Davis could pass on a Heisman winning QB. But then again, when it comes to the draft, the Raiders like to throw in a curve ball or two.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Now Oakland's on the clock and the daft is interesting and not just because that's my team.

Do they take Leinart? They sure could use him.
Michael Huff?
Someone else?
Trade the pick?

If Leinart doesn't go in this spot, he'll fall to Arizona at 10.

I say:

7. Oakland Raiders select - Michael Huff - Safety - Texas

Oooooh, yes!!!

Love this pick!

My predictions last night, I went 7 for 7.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
So far, I think 4,5,6 have opening day starters. Great picks by all three teams to get guys with upsides only, in positions that might not get the pub, but make the difference.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Quite a stretch for Whitner. I saw some people have him as low as going to the Chiefs at 20.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I was on the phone, but I did say Leinart would go to Arizona.

I'm probably not going to make any more picks as I'm weak outside the top 10, but I went 8 for 9 with 1 pass, although the guy I had Buffalo taking did go to Detroit.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
First round is over. Bears traded out of the round, Steelers moved up to take a WR, Winston Justice and Lendale White both fall out of round 1.

Buffalo I think has done some reaching today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks