What's new

2006 NFL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Raiders traded Doug Gabriel to New England today.

For you Patriots fans, this is a very solid pickup on your team's part.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Yes, both the Seahawks and Jets offered Branch 6 year $36 million contracts yesterday. I see hell freezing over an a pro bowl QB in Detroit and a season without a single penalty in Oakland happening before Branch being traded to a team New England plays twice a season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Don't forget that the Pats traded Drew Bledsoe within their division to the Bills, so anything's possible... except for seeing a Pro Bowl QB in Detroit, of course. :)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Here is Millens 2002 draft results....for a good laugh. 2002

1. Joey Harrington, QB, not on team

2. Kalimba Edwards, DE, not a starter

3. Andre Goodman, CB , not on team

4. John Taylor, DE, not on team

5. Chris Cash, DB, not on team

6. Luke Staley, RB, not on team

7. Matt Murphy, TE, not on team

7. Victor Rogers, T, not on team

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Here is 2003 for kicks too. Great back to back drafts.

1. Charles Rogers, WR, not on team

2. Boss Bailey, LB, three-year starter

3. Cory Redding, DE, two-year starter

4. Artose Pinner, RB, not on team

5. Terrence Holt, S, two-year starter

5. James Davis, LB, not on team

6. David Kircus, WR, not on team

7. Ben Johnson, T, not on team

7. Blue Adams, CB, not on team

7. Brandon Drumm, FB, not on team

7. Travis Anglin, WR, not on team

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Oakland cut George so they wouldn't have to guarantee his contract for the season -- veterans on the opening day roster have their contracts guaranteed. They very well may resign him in a couple of days. Sorry Casey, but it may not be over yet. :)

The season is certainly not starting out well for defending champion Pittsburgh. Big Ben is out for at least the opener, and Hines Ward is questionable. This Steelers fan fears the team may suffer from a Super Bowl hangover all season long.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Ha, I can only take a break from my rage until they play that first game then it starts brand new with or without Boy George. But Scott is right, and while I'm not so sure they'll sign him immediately after week 1, should Brooks or someone else at QB get hurt, George is who they're calling.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
In the case of the Lions, which is a better indication of success-"starter" or "not on team"?

There's still time to join the Home Theater Forum group of ESPN's Pigskin Pick 'em. No spread/no week dropped/no default picks. The password is OAR. The more the merrier. IIRC, I won this thing like 3 years in a row after Emil S. relegated me to 2nd place in my first year. Somebody ought to teach me some humility.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
OK, I'm on my way to work, but if I don't make these picks now I won't get around to it by Thursday.

AFC east

Miami (yeah, you read thast right)
New England
Buffalo
New York

AFC north

Cincinnati (WHO DEY)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Cleveland

AFC south

Indy
Jacksonville (Wildcard)
Tennessee
Houston

AFC west

Denver
San Diego (Wildcard)
Kansas City
Oakland

NFC east

New York
Dallas (Wildcard)
Philly
Washington

NFC north

Chicago
Minnesota
Green Bay
Deroit

NFC south

Carolina
Tampa Bay (Wildcard)
Atlanta
New Orleans

NFC west

Seattle
St. Louis
Arizona
San Francisco

Superbowl

Cincinnati

over

Carolina

you are all now free to point and laugh at my predictions

tyler

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I cannot believe that teams are still interested in Ron Dayne. He, along with Rashaan Salaam, have to be the most overrated Heisman running backs in the past 25 years. Both were products of their system, and in the case of Dayne, a ridiculously easy schedule. Dayne started all four years at Wisconsin, yet had only a single 100 yard rushing game in his career against the top four Big Ten teams during that time (Michigan, OSU, PSU and MSU). Instead, he gained all those yards playing deep into the fourth quarter against a bunch of cupcakes. For a "power bacK", he goes down at first contact almost every time. You rarely see Dayne break a tackle.

But I'm sure that Ron Dayne will work just as well as Reggie Bush would have in Houston. :laugh:

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Scott, while I think I understand your hate of all things Wisconsin, you shouldn't let it blind you to reality. Saying that Dayne is a failure as a pro is accurate.
These statements, however, are just plain wrong.
In his freshman year, he did not start until the fifth game, he only played against PSU of your four listed teams, in that game he went 23/129, with 2tds. (Other games that year included 28/139, 1td against Northwestern, 30/244, 2tds against Purdue, 50/297, 3tds against Minnesota, and 30/246 with 3 scores in the Copper Bowl, against Utah.)
As a sophomore, he missed 12 full quarters, and again only played against Papa Joe from your list: 30/126, 0tds. (He did have a couple decent games against fair teams that year, though: 26/141, 1td against Purdue, 40/183, 1td against Minnesota.)
Junior year he had some more injury problems and did not play any of your four. (Games I consider “pretty darn good”:22/168 1td against Northwestern, 33/127 1td against Purdue, 39/164 1td against Iowa, and a Rose Bowl MVP 27/246 with 4tds against #4 UCLA. (You might remember the ESPN pre-game quote “Wisconsin is the worst Rose Bowl team ever.”))
Senior year, when he won the Heisman, Michigan held him to 22/88 with a td, Ohio State kept him at 32/161, 4tds, and MSU limited him to 34/214 with 2tds. (Others: NW 35/162, 2tds, Purdue32/222, 1td, Iowa 27/216, 1td, Rose Bowl MVP again 34/200 only 1 td vs. Stanford)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks