What's new

2006 NFL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Since the preseason is now unofficially over (the regulars hardly play in the 4th week), here are my picks for the season:

NFC East:
1. Dallas
2. NY Giants
3. Philly
4. Washington

NFC North
1. Chicago
2. Minnesota
4a. Detroit
4b. Green Bay

NFC South
1. Carolina
2. Tampa
3. Atlanta
4. NO

NFC West
1. Seattle
2. Arizona
3. St. Louis
4. SF

NFC Widlcards: Tampa, NY Giants, Philly

AFC East
1. New England
2. Miami
3. Buffalo
4. NY Jets

AFC North
1. Cincy
2. Pittsburgh
3. Baltimore
4. Cleveland

AFC South
1. Indy
2. Jax
4a. Tenn
4b. Houston

AFC West
1. Denver
2. KC
3. San Diego
4. Oakland

AFC Wildcards: Miami, Pitt, Jax

Super Bowl: Carolina beats Cincy

Notes:
1. The NFC North and AFC South basement battles are so bad it's too close to call between Detroit vs. GB and Tenn vs. Houston.
2. Most overrated team -- Washington
3. 2007 NFL Draft order: 1) SF (2) Jets (3) NO (4-8) GB Det Tenn Hou Oak
4. I had a tough time picking between Philly and Arizona for the final NFC Wildcard spot. Arizona lost because, well, they're the Cardinals. :)
5. Toughest divisions: NFC East, AFC North
6. Worst division: NFC North, in a landslide

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Scott,
Only TWO wildcards per conference, now that there are four divisions. How does your plan account for sending 7 teams to the playoffs :D

Palmer did look good, but alas, Green Bay. Still, got to be good for the Cincy fans to see him playing. GB is awful.

Why does no one in the NFL realize that your team success can almost be directly linked to your offensive line and their time together??? GB shattered their line two years ago, and have sucked since. Wille Roaf just retired, and LJ looks quite mortal now. I know the O-Line isn't sexy...but it's something the consistently good teams have figured out. It's not having *A* star or two, but a cohesive unit. Which plays together. Often. A star helps ;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Uh Dome, you forgot the most obvious number 4 that it should've been on your list in the first place.

Blackmail.

I'm not ready to make my division picks just yet, I'll wait until after the rosters are set, but I'm not as high on the Eagles as some of you, they have McNabb and Westbrook but the rest of that offense scares nobody even with the trade for Donte Stallworth. Plus, that's a tough division and I put no faith in preseason records, I believe Indianapolis went 0 for the preseason last year and all that went away when the games counted.

Although in an effort to top Scott I'll be picking 8 teams per conference to make the playoffs, do I hear 9? Actually Scott's mentoring Andrew Walter line made me laugh hysterically so I wanted to get even.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Just Joined the Pick 'em league as Bengal Bandit. My picks for the year will come this week.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

If that count gets to 14, the Lions and Raiders may actually make the playoffs. :laugh:

Well, when I recounted the ballots (there was a hanging chad), my wildcards came up:

NFC: Tampa, NY Giants
AFC: Miami, Jax (Pittsburgh suffers from the Super Bowl hangover)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Here goes:

NFC East:
1. Dallas
2. Washington
3. Giants
4. Philadelphia

NFC North
1. Chicago
2. Detroit
3. Minnesota
4. Green Bay

NFC South
1. Carolina
2. Tampa Bay
3. Atlanta
4. New Orleans

NFC West
1. Seattle
2. Arizona
3. St. Louis
4. San Francisco

NFC Wildcards: Washington, Giants

AFC East
1. New England
2. Miami
3. Jets
4. Buffalo

AFC North
1. Cincinnati
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cleveland
4. Baltimore

AFC South
1. Indianapolis
2. Jacksonville
3. Houston
4. Tennessee

AFC West
1. Denver
2. KC
3. San Diego
4. Oakland

AFC Wildcards: Pittsburgh and my serious homer pick, KC!

Super Bowl: Seattle over Cincinnati

Top 5 draft picks: Tennessee, San Francisco, Green Bay, New Orleans, Buffalo.

Scott, I purposely didn't look at your picks when I made mine so it wouldn't sway my opinion, but it looks like we agree on a lot of stuff, including all division winners. We also agree on half of the wildcards, but it could be less if you didn't pick six. :) Also, I didn't pick the hardest division but IMO it is easily the NFC East. I had a hard time not choosing all of them for the playoffs.

Edit: I saw your updated wildcard picks. Looks like we only agree on 1 out of 4.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
With Jed and Scott making their picks, I'll make mine.

NFC East:
Dallas
NY Giants
Washington
Philadelphia

NFC North:
Chicago
Minnesota
Detroit
Green Bay

NFC South:
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay
New Orleans

NFC West:
Seattle
Arizona
St Louis
San Francisco

AFC East:
Miami
New England
New York Jets
Buffalo

AFC North:
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cleveland

AFC South:
Indy
Jacksonville
Houston
Tennessee

AFC West:
Kansas City
Denver
San Diego
Oakland

NFC Wildcard: New York Giants and Tampa Bay
AFC Wildcard: Denver and Baltimore

Superbowl: Dallas over Cincinnati

Top 5 draft picks: San Fran, New Orleans, Green Bay, Tennessee, Buffalo.

Obviously it looks like I'm homering out but if Dallas's line stays together their defense will be crazy good this year and I expect TO to make a big difference before he blows up :) Terry Glenn will be a beneficiary of that.

I want to pick KC to be in the Superbowl but I can't trust their D yet. Baltimore will surprise alot of people. Pittsburgh lost the Bus which is huge IMHO come wintry weather and their WR core isn't so great. But yes I have them missing the playoffs. Given what Baltimore has on offense(with McNair), and their killer D, I think they are underestimated big time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Shane, if you have Green Bay finishing ahead of Detroit, how can the Packers get a higher draft pick? Or, are you figuring that Millen will pull a Minnesota screwup and miss the pick? :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Detroit's owner, in his infinite wisdom, gave Millen a five year contract extension last year. Unless Millen resigns out of shear embarrassment, he'll be back next year. Anyone out there still wonder why the Lions have won only a single postseason game in 47 years?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it is possible for Shane's original scenario to take place.

If Detroit and Green Bay were to finish with the same record, the tie breaker for determining order of finish in a division is I believe Head to Head matchups then IIRC divisional record.

The tie breaker is different for draft order, its strength of schedule.

So if you have 2 teams with the same record, one would technically finish 3rd in a division but might have a lower total strength of schedule and thus pick ahead of the forth place team.

If you're wondering why I'm even posting this just consider these 2 pieces of information:
1. I have injured my foot and am for the time being immobile.
2. This results in bordom.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Its cutdown day.

Charles Rogers has been released by the Lions, in what really shouldn't be a surprise but should sting a bit knowing where he was drafted.

Cuts are coming in all the time, but so far nothing I'd consider surprising has taken place.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I have mixed feelings about Rogers. In one light, he seemed to loaf in practice and not try to hard, but you know what, this is the NFL and as much as someone like myself may not like it, some guys are just gamers and are horrible in practice, and thats what I honestly think about Charles. There are guys on every team that are like that and especially the best players. I think the Lions don't have a clue on how to develop or deal with star quality players from a young age. Barry Sanders was a horrible practice player, guess he should have been cut. I am not saying that Rogers is a great player, and he has definately not been a model citizen, but this is another major gaffe on Millens head. That is back to back top picks that are gone. Millen was quoted 3 years ago as saying "we cannot afford to have these top picks not work out", yet he is still here and they are not. Its going to be a long season from a Lions perspective. I need to pick my team to root for this year, any suggestions? Maybe the Cardinals because they seem to be doing what the Lions should be doing.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not Brandon, I saw someone predict Detroit would win the NFC North.

I'm working on my predictions, more of a preview and I'll link to them when they're done.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Exactly. Millen has completely thrown away the benefits of those horrible seasons with Mornihweg as head coach. Consecutive top 2 and top 3 overall draft picks have both been dumped for nothing this past offseason. Not only is Millen still here, but he received a five year contract extension late last year. William Ford, Sr. is a complete buffoon as an owner.

In another display of front office bumbling, Domanick Davis was placed on injured reserve by the Texans today, ending his season (and some think his career). Brilliant move passing on Reggie Bush, Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks