What's new

2006 NFL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
All reports I've seen say Mike Williams is done.

Casey,
Instead of using your first round pick on a QB, why not continue focusing on the line? Brady Quinn or Joe Montana it doesn't matter because if the line can't block it's going to make your QB turn into smush.
Didn't Seattle do a similar thing with Shaun Alexander except say "in good faith if you sign a 1 year deal you won't get franchised" or did they just oops and give this guy the transition tag?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Actions speak louder than words, but all Detroit's actions also seem to indicate that Mike Williams is done in Detroit. That's three high first round picks all tossed aside in a matter of months. I think Millen deserves another contract extension. Good job, Matt!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Shane, you made an exelent point which is IMO another reason that we can't say it was as big of a mistake to take Huff over Leinart as it was to take Williams over Bush.

I am of 2 thoughts about the line.
1. I'm not ready to slap the bust label on Robert Gallery but I do have the label printed up.
2. Ideally, they could try to rebuild the line through free agency, I'd take proven linemen over rookies any day but if not, I would look that way in the draft. Its a problem because they just spent a high 1 on Gallery and taking another tackle would be admitting defeat, and there's no guard or center worth a top 2 pick which is why IMO they should take the QB anyway.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Packers and Texans swing a trade.

Green Bay sends Samkon Gado to Houston for Vernon Morency. 2 bad teams swap running backs and still will have the same problem if you ask me.

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that if Gallery has anothe r bad game at left tackle this week that during the bye week he and Barry Sims will flip-flop and Gallery will be the left guard with Sims moving back to tackle.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Anybody know if there is a Sunday night highlight show as part of the new network configuration? Something to replace the late, lamented NFL PrimeTime?

I miss Berman and Jackson in the afternoon...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Doesn't NBC have something like that now? Isn't that what football night in America is? I ask cause I haven't seen it yet.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this belongs in the college thread, but given that the player in question is a hot topic of discussion in this thread and given that it was this scandal that helped scare off Houston on Reggie Bush, I think it can just as easily go here.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Show me a college that doesn't have compensated athletes, and I will show you a losing program, sad, but its just the way it is.

Also in the football pickem on ESPN Jim hit all of his picks this week and I missed one! Who will be the winner this week?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

The University of Kentucky :D

Fact: it's not whether you have compensated athletes, but whether you can get away with it. Lesson here kiddies: don't piss off gift horses. It seems like that's what Reggie Bush did.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

And I think that is an incredibly naive way of looking at college athletics, especially football and basketball. Take the major programs over the recent pats, Ohio State and Clarrett, USC and Bush, Michigan and the Fab Five, Alabama, any school that Lou Holtz has coached. Not to mention some stories I could tell you about current players at a certain big ten school. I would be willing to bet it happens on some level at every school, its just a matter of who turns the other cheeck, and how severe the infraction is.

Look I am not saying that all schools are dirty, but I bet more are dirty than not, especially the bigger winning schools, imho.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer

My college...US Naval Academy. Two bowl games in the last two years (small bowls, but whatever), plus at least two nationally televised games annually (Notre Dame and Army). And the athletes HAVE to go to class, and live with every other student. And can't go pro. But we are clearly second tier, and I see your point about the football factories.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Absolutely Chuck! I was in no way trying to include colleges such as Navy, Army, the Ivy League schools, I am talking about powerhouses.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
They can't go pro even after they serve? Granted, that's a long time being away from football, but still...

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I don't know why not, David Robinson went pro after he served a few years for the Navy. Is it different for football?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
After they serve, they can go pro, but it's a FIVE year committment. And it's tough to maintain the athleticism and health without constant work. We had a great fullback a while back who worked a deal to possibly play for the Pats (alongside his naval obligations), but it didn't work out. There are special circumstances, like David Robinson. But my point is that lots of great HS prospects wouldn't choose West Point or Annapolis because of that limitation.

A few decent pros managed to worm their way out somehow :)

But we have a good program. It's a coaches' dream, imo. The kids listen, there are very few off-the-field problems, and the entire student body attends every home game and major rivalry game ;) Recruiting's a bitch, though :D

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It seems that basketball might be an easier sport to get into since it's not a contact sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks