What's new

2006 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I have to agree with Malcolm. I've been very fond of the M:I films and I love J.J. Abrams work, but Cruise's follies in the media over the past year have soured my immediate interest in the seeing the film. I'll probably wait and catch it during it's second run.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm and David's above comments have raised an interesting question (in regards to Cruise's now tarnished public persona possibly hurting M:I-III's returns). Is it time for Paramount to turn the M:I franchise over to a new (cheaper and younger) leading man?

Would you all pay to see a new M:I film headlined by someone like Christian Bale, Jake Gyllenhaal, or Clive Owen? Or any of the would-be up-and-coming stars in the industry right now?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps, but for the first such movie, you would have to compensate with one heck of a supporting cast, including a baddass, big name villain, and/or a director of some pedigree, with a strong following. Basaically kinda like Batman Begins.

--
H

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
That's a good point. "Batman Begins" stands as the perfect example of how to successfully revamp a franchise. If Paramount were to continue the M:I series post-Tom Cruise, they should definitely follow WB's blueprint.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
I too think that any underperformance on MI:III can only be linked to Cruise's image being a bit tarnished. The marketing has been incredibly heavy with Cruise on just about every single talk show this past week. no heavy hitters to go up against, very positive word of mouth, etc.

I was shocked when my wife, who used to be a big Tom Cruise fan, absolutely refused to see the movie since she thinks he's become crazy and won't support anything he does. I don't feel the same way, and want to see the film, but without her interest it's that much more likely I might wait for DVD.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I guess I'm just an old-fashioned fan of the tv show but I'd like to see them try a true ensemble cast if they're going to keep going. Maybe get a big name among older actors for the "Jim Phelps" role but that's it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've talked to a lot of women that will not see this film because of Cruise's behavior and comments over the past year or so. I think he's crossed the line in which a signficant portion of his audience have been offended by his actions and therefore, refuse to see his films.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Personally I don't think box office would be any higher even if Cruise kept a low profile the past two years.

Just speaking from the P.O.V. of the "joe public" ... how many average people even understood the storyline for the first two M:I films?

Are the characters in the M:I film's really even that memorable?

The story arcs in the movies aren't even connected so you're not really compelled to run to the theater to find out what happens to certain plot points as you would be to other sequels.

Mission: Impossible is a franchise almost entirely carried by Cruise IMO. Any other actor, and I don't think this franchise would have even made it to M:I 2.

I think people were willing to get excited about M:I 2 because they thought it would be much more of a regular action film, but again it too had a ridiculously convulted plot ... I think this time, even though M:I 3 has gotten better reviews, I don't think it's as much of a "must see" type thing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Really, have you talked with any women about how they feel about Cruise now compared to three or more years ago? I have and I was generally surprised by the emotional responses I'd received about him in a very negative way.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Paramount had been a little nervous about the release of M:I-III because it was tracking so low with women during the last few weeks. Women have been the backbone of Cruise's box office success during the last two decades. Judging from Kevin and Robert's comments above, the studio seems to have had a right to be concerned.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
Well, count me in as one who refuses to see any more Tom Cruise movies because of his crazy antics. Obviously, I'm not a woman, but you can bet there are quite a few more males like me who just hate his scientology crap. I feel I'd just be funding his screwy religion if I see any more of his movies. I'm happy MI:III had a lower than expected Friday opening and hopes it continues to underperform this weekend and the following weeks.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Cruise's personal life has no bearing on his movies to me. I don't care about a entertainers religion, politics, who they are sleeping with or how moral they are. I want them to entertain me in the movie I just paid for, and with MI:3 I got that.

Charlton Heston is an ass, does that make Planet of the Apes a bad movie?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how much movie cash will get redeemed for MI:III this weekend (from the new edition of MI on DVD a few weeks ago).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know what you mean, while some of us are able to compartmentalize such things there are those that either can't or won't do so.

Crawdaddy

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't either...as long as I don't have to hear about it. Once they start spouting off publicly about whatever activist cause or cult they support, then I have to take that into consideration as to whether or not they're worthy of MY support. At that point, they've become more politician than celebrity and I will vote accordingly with my money.

I would gladly support another actor in the MI series. I don't think Cruise brings anything to the role that another actor couldn't easily step into.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Alot of women (it seems) were affected by Cruise's arrogant and angry diatribe regarding Brooke Shield's treatment of postpartum depression. Very tender subject.

I think it snowballed from there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not only that, but at least 3-4 women in my office think Cruise has brainwashed Katie Holmes and I'm not joking, that's how they feel about them as a couple. Also, besides Oprah, his appearance on The Today Show which he basically called mental health care, a voodoo practice might have hurt him due to just about every family having at least one member with some minor or major mental health issues.

I think he's made a big public relations mistake that's going to affect him professionally more than he originally realized when he made those comments because he has alienated the largest segment of his fanbase that may never be reconciled.

Crawdaddy

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, that theory's popular with the women in my workplace, too. Basically, almost every single thing Cruise has said or done regarding his relationship with Holmes looks dubious in some way, from the audition rumors down to his claiming that her devoutly Catholic family is "totally cool" with them, and combined with his comments on psychology, it's pretty much annihilated his appeal to women.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't think his psychology comments made a dent...it was his comments on PPD, as MikeRS already alluded to. My wife had a mile case of PPD, and she ****ing lost it when he said that. All women have had friends with PPD. He blasted himself with that.

I still consider Tom Cruise the biggest movie star in the world. And MI3 will be fine, even if it opens a little soft. And if you skip Cruise movies, you usually miss some quality material. He picks good scripts and directors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Whether his Today's comments made a dent or not we'll never know for sure, but what we do know, at least from my perspective is that many women are pissed off at him.

He won't be the biggest movie star for long if women boycott his films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks