What's new

2006-2007 NFL Playoffs Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not sure you'll find any disagreement about that, even from Pats fans.

If not for all the rookie mistakes and emotional outbursts, the Chargers would have won.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I would like to see the Saints and Colts in the Super Bowl.

The Colts have absolutely no excuse if they lose to the Patriots, since they are finally going to play them at home in a AFC Championship game.

I remember there was one game, where it was a high scoring game, and the Colts were stopped at the goal line as time expired. I think that was the only game between these teams in Indy in the last 5 years.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

While I agree with this, I have to say, the Pats didnt make and dont make too many mistakes of their own. They play smart and relaxed, and make big plays when they need to, like Troy Brown's strip and Caldwell's big 3rd and 10 reception.

Sometimes in the NFL, its enough just to not implode and let the other team screw up to the point of losing. that was on display Sunday afternoon.

my predicts: Saints outright win.
Patriots (How can I pick against a team that beat a obviously bigger and faster team...you cant, they are supermen !)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

This is the match-up I'd like to see, and will root for on Sunday. This would mean both home teams lose on Sunday, and the odds are good that one home team will lose in their league's championship game (as been the case for the past 10 years or so).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Really, I didn't know. How has that been happening with out the Chargers being involved?

The biggest question mark for me is the Colts defense. Is it for real? If it is, they will win it all. If the Colts get to play the Bears, I'm sure they will when. There's no great offense there. 17 points could win that game.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sometimes it is, but I'm not sure you can ride that horse all the way to the SB. I think the best team left in the AFC playoffs is the Colts. They don't have SB talent this year, but they do have SB class. That is why they are always in contention. Keep doing it often enough and you get there.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

You make very valid points and may very well be exactly right.

I think my Pats prediction is lame, and there is no good reason to it. The only reasoning I am using (and this is admittedly weak) is they played a much better team and let that team implode and then made a few, but very critical, big plays when called upon. So I just thought, well hell, how can I bet against them again.

And I have a lot riding on that pick.

I am participating in a free pickem game through our local newspaper. The entry was free but the overall winner wins $250 ! So, essentially, I have $250 on these final three games because I am in first place and only leading by a few points, so I need to get the last 3 games right !
The pick is not against the spread (much easier during the reg season...obviously) and I have been leading since week 3 but its close now.
I am taking the Saints and Pats, again, straight up, no spread, to win outright.
Saints I feel somewhat confident in. The Pats is a flat out close my eyes and see what happens.

In fact, last week, I had the Chargers, then changed to the Patriots (even with a 24-21 score, no less !..it is used for tie breakers) then went back to the Chargers. I could not reconcile the best team in football with a weak ass post season coach vs a weaker team with the current best QB-Coach combo.
I didnt know how much the QB-Coach vs bad coaching would affect the game, but for a while I thought it would be significant, ultimately choosing the team over that effect and guess what, I was wrong. oh well !
Anyway, this week, I am in the same boat, and I just figured, what the heck, I'll go with the Pats vs the Colts in the playoffs until I am proven wrong. If I went with the Colts and the Pats pulled out another one, then I would feel worse, but I wouldnt be surprised if the Colts win.
It will be interesting to me if the Colts win due to their defense and doing just enough on offense, sort of like the 2000 Ravens, please dont flame me, I know Manning is much better than Collins was, but that would be wild if it turned into that type of game since it has been so much about Manning in the past, and still is....but its quite possible their defense wins this game for them.

Also, were the AFC and NFC Championship games last year on a prime time/later schedule ?

This seems to be a recent change. I seem to recall they were still 9:30 am/1:00pm PST games....in fact, I wish they still were.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm sticking with my picks from earlier in the week:

Saints and Colts.

Manning gets his ring.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I'm really pulling for the Aints to win it all. What an amazing story they've been this year. If they actually do it, we're talking about a sports event that is right up there with the '69 Mets and the '80 USA hockey team. Lord knows, New Orleans deserves it.

And they just might.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Beyond the Colts shutting down the Ravens running attack this post season has been rather predictable. Marty doesn't do well in the playoffs and we get a loss there. The eagles absolutely suck in the playoffs and blow it yet again. Then again they really were playing above their heads I think. If they would have won a Superbowl then heads would roll for McNabb in Philly.

I fully predict that the Pats will beat the Colts in the AFC game and they could just as easily coast to yet another masteful championship and Brady would be the MVP for sure. He got robbed of a Pro Bowl trophy but I guess a ring is a nice replacement :)

Meanwhile I'm not sure what to expect in the NFC. I don't really think it matters but if the Saints win, I think the story alone will be nice. Peyton's offense will get figured out shortly and we'll see what their team is made of.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Another reason to root for or against the Patriots: Vinny Testaverde will get a Super Bowl ring if they win it all again. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Raiders turned down. How bad is it when a college QB coach turns down an offer to be an NFL head coach? Doesn't anyone want to work for Al Davis?

The Chargers will need to look for a new offensive coordinator. Miami has hired Cam Cameron as their new head coach.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After re-reading my post, I think it may be misconstrued. The team that I am referring to as not having SB talent but having SB class, is the Patriots. It is my gut feel that it won't be enough this year, the Colts will win.

If I were an NFL owner, I'd spend a million bucks just studying the Pats in depth, try to figure out their system. Has any team, since the NFL began trying to get parity, had such consistency? That is, consistency at a high level, we're not talking Detroit here now.

Just watched Inside the NFL on HBO. They didn't mince words for the SD/Pats game. Choke, gave it away, stupid, bad coaching were all mentioned.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Under DeBartolo's ownership, the 49ers organization had the same sort of sustained excellence. Five Super Bowl wins in 13 years is an even more impressive run than what New England has put together so far. So, I guess it depends on when you think the NFL's enforced parity began. There certainly was significant revenue sharing during the Niners run, though.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Well if the guy is good enough at his job where he's even being considered for an NFL head coaching job then he can afford to hold out for a better deal. Given the choice of coaching a dysfunctional NFL franchise or any decent division I NCAA squad I'd probably take the college job. Either way you'd make more than enough money to live comfortably so it's more a question of which job you would rather have.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
They were right about the Chargers. They forced Brady to throw 3 picks, and STILL lost?? Number 29 had the most egotistical bone-headed, moronic play of the year by giving the Pats a SECOND fresh set of downs (after the fumble and failed recovery earlier) on 4th and 13. The team completely blew that game, playing against the best coached team in the NFL for the last 6 years...pretty smart guys.

Oddly enough, I think the Colts will win this weekend. This is the game they've been waiting YEARS for. That said...I wouldn't bet on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks