What's new

2006-2007 NFL Playoffs Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
This is the absolute honest way it happened:
When I saw Parker drop that 3rd down pass to halt their very good drive (maybe it was the first drive...maybe second), I was like...DAMN!
Then he drops a ball coming across the middle and I was like...hey man, get it together. The Pats kick a punt (may have been a kickoff after their first 3 points), Parker tries to run through some guy obviously stronger than him. That made me cringe...at that point I was like, this dude should not be on the field. He is under talented and could be a liability. I was saying they need to see this and get him on the sideline and say, hey dude, get your s*** together. I think they should have not thrown the ball to him.
Then, the Chargers are driving, they are in field goal range, then call that reverse to Parker, who inexplicably slips like..well, he looked I would I have if I had run a reverse. Nobody touched him, and I know people slip, but he was out of control. It wasnt wet in SD. He effectively takes them out of field goal range.
Now I am raving mad at the screen. Bill Simmons has joked/pointed out recently, the need for a coach of common sense. I am like, anyone who is watching this game can see this guy is going to do some damage. He's dropping passes, gets clobbered, rather awkwardly on a return, falling down, ruining drives, costing points. Someone with some freaking common sense and perspective needs to tell someone to GET HIM OUT OF THERE !
But I didnt post anything at that point. I was saying it though at the screen.
Then, a bit later comes the punt drop and the stupid pick up attempt. If you watch it, you can see Parker is devastated, he knows he's really screwed up now. He was just on all fours, next to the recovery, looked hurt, but he knew what was up.
That is when I posted here, but my wife can attest that I had been saying it prior to that.

Now...he did make a few good catches, especially on that last drive. I also think his catch on the sidelines that was first ruled a catch then ruled an incomplete pass, was indeed a catch. On the replay, Simms agrees. That was a tough pass to catch, and he made a good play on it, but...BUT ! overall he choked.
Now...all week on the radio they've been debating the whole Marty culpability angle. How much is blamed on him and so on.
I think he is absolutely to blame. For that and more. I dont care. He had a clearly superior team, faster AND bigger than the PATS and they won. How come Marty didn't get on his team for celebrating with 8 mins left ?
Why didnt they put Turner on punt returns ?
Ugh ! I just dont get it.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Or.... you can hang here and remain a Chargers fan for another year ! :laugh:

Sorry.. that just aint right....

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
He was talking about your sig, Blade Runner boy. :)

Anywho, I wouldn't fire Schottenheimer.....yet. I made fun of Roy Williams (the basketball guy) and Phil Mickelson for years for not winning the big ones. And now I'm making fun of Schottenheimer. By that screwy logic, Schottenheimer is due for a Super Bowl. :)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
yea, i know. didnt make sense. quote from a scifi movie and being and staying here and being a charger fan. man that is genius !

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Actually, I'd use that sci-fi outfit to remember me a Charger SB win. It's the only way it will happen.:frowning:

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
C'mon, put back on that smiley face !

From NFL.Com, 5 Reasons the Chargers will be in postseason contention for several years to come, regardless of whether they change coaches:

* They have 37 of their 53 players under contract for next season, including 23 who are tied up at least for three more years.
* LaDainian Tomlinson.
* Shawne Merriman.
* Philip Rivers.
* Antonio Gates.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And that is all it will be: postseason contention and then a belly flop. We've got Marty for one more year, that's a guaranteed flop in the post season.

I just cannot work myself into the frame of mind that the Chargers can win it all, it is impossible, IMHO. I will cheer for them to be fun to watch and that's all. I've ranted on this enough and now will refrain.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
LOL Scott...I forgot about Ron Mexico.

So next year the Chargers make the playoffs, okay, and let's say they get a bye again by finishing either 1 or 2.
I dont care who they play, you think Schottheimer is gonna pull that one out ?
The pressure will be immense, even more than this year.
Has the 2007 NFL schedule been decided ?
I couldnt find it.
I sure hope they schedule a Patriots-Chargers rematch (and you know they will/should; its good for ratings, and they ususally schedule playoff rematches).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
San Diego will play the Patriots in Foxboro sometime next season.

NFL.com has all the match-ups, but not the detailed schedule.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

As Malcolm pointed out, the Chargers are already scheduled to play in Foxboro next season. FYI, the NFL schedule (who each team plays, at least) is not just "made up" by the NFL. It's completely determined by (1) which division a team is in, and (2) where a team finished in that division.
  1. 6 games are home and away against other teams within same division
  2. 4 games are against teams from another division within same conference, rotating each year. For example, the NFC North will play the NFC West one season, the NFC East the next, then the NFC South the third.
  3. 4 games are against teams from another division in the other conference, rotating each year. For example, the NFC North plays the AFC East one season, etc.
  4. The final two games are played against the teams that finished in the same place in the remaining two divisions within the same conference that are not being played as part of item #2. For example, NFC North first place plays NFC South first place and NFC West first place if the division matchups in item #2 above are NFC North vs. NFC East.

So, every NFL team knows 14 of its 16 opponents for every future season. The remaining two spots are determined by which place a team finishes in the previous season.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
cool. I am sure some dumbass will piss on the Pats field if the Chargers win; you know..that whole thing. Pull a "T.O."

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Now that the 1&2 AFC seeds have been bounced out, and the 1&2 NFC seeds have advanced, who's the odd-on favorite to advance to the SB?

I was thinking you have to give the Pats a lot of respect, they beat the best team in the AFC. However, the more I think about it, the more I believe not that the Pats came up big, but that the Chargers came up small. Most of the mistakes they made were unforced.

If the Colts defense has 2 more games in them like their last two, I think they will win it all. The question is, which is the real Colts defense, the one that played the season or the one that's played the last two games?

If Manning sees his defense continuing at this higher level, it should take some weight off his shoulders.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks