What's new

2005 Track Your Films List (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
You can't have it both ways. Joe and I posted our lists in the 2004 thread only to have the regulars tell us we were doing it wrong and our lists shouldn't go there. Some people could care less about seeing every 2004 released film and if you look at these lists elsewhere, you'll see they are quite popular. I started these lists several years ago and everything seems to be just fine. If you don't like the idea of this thread then you don't have to take part it in.

For some reason on message boards people think others are stepping on the toes of the regulars but it's quite the opposite. I got the same reaction when I started this thing a few years ago but now I find it quite funny that nearly every board has something like this and calls it exactly what I did when I started it up.

If you don't like it, don't take part. I think you'll find this list will be quite different from the others so perhaps you'll jump on board after the thing takes off and you see what is done with it. I started this little thing and I can guarantee it's a lot different than anything you've got posted here.

Now, if the debate can end somewhere, perhaps Robert would be kind enough to delete this thread and let us start it over. It would be nice if the first few pages were for people to keep their lists. The lists will get quite big and it wouldn't big good for other chatter on the first page. Or, perhaps he could simply delete the talk from this page if no one objected.

Some people watch 200 films from 2004 and some others might watch 700 movies from 1900-2004. I think that can call for a different list.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it would be the end of the world to have a general viewings thread separate from a 200x only thread, but then we will probably have to go through the whole "what is a 200x film" debate again.

We do have concurrent threads covering the same ground in other ways, such as the AFI challenges, the S&S challenge, the alternative viewings thread, and even the Halloween challenge thread. Not to mention the film review/discussion threads for anything from the last year or two.

You start to get a lot of cross-talk with all of that, however.

For me I generally discuss my viewings in these other threads, and with the 200x film threads still out there from the last few years I find it pretty rare that I am watching a film I'd like to discuss that doesn't already have a place to discuss it.

If its just a list of stuff seen then Jason has allowed for that addition in his own thread. There's no debate needed over credit here by starting a thread, Jason brought us the "document what you've been seeing" idea several years ago and its been going strong since.

Other than that who really cares who's name is at the front of the thread?

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Out of Lurk mode...

"It's just that his list seemed very exclusive to new films of that particular year, and this wasn't my same intent"

Not here to bash , but isnt that the reason it was called the 2004 "Film" list?.

"Film" , as in 35mm prints?.

This list sounds like it should be called the "2005 Watched DVDs with the occasional theatrical movie watched" thread

Which is pretty much what the old thread was anyways

Bill

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Unless I'm mistaken something, these 2004 Lists are so you can keep track of what you are watching that year. If you want to see what someone feels about SHREK 2 then you have an easy list.

The point of this list is to keep track, with dates of everything you view. This here would be for bigger film dorks if you will.

Again, I don't see the problem unless someone is unhappy that they didn't start a certain thread. Even if only five people like this idea, what's the problem? Can't those five keep the list here?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I think you might be using that term a bit to literal, Bill. I’ve participated in all of Jason’s annual lists and probably 60% of my additions are seen via DVD (heck I’m still updating films from 2001). Not everyone has the chance to get out to the cinema every week and in my case there is a very limited number of art house/independent releases so I have no choice but to wait for DVD.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Yes, watching all types of general films of all decades throughout the whole year and keeping track of how many is the idea here, Eric. And it doesn't matter where they come from - DVD, TV, theaters, VHS, wherever.

I understand that Jason's recent list of 2004 also allowed for Michael Elliott and myself to keep our own personal lists nestled in there on page 8 somewhere, but they got lost in the shuffle of "mainly new movies" and it couldn't really achieve the idea Mike and I have wanted to employ. And we could probably continue to stick our viewings through next year inside Jason's "2005" thread, but I think our lists and ideas would get lost in an abundance of "2005 primarily" postings. And I can tell you that I won't be watching many 2005 films. I kept feeling that I was intruding with a totally different idea when I was keeping up my list in Jason's 2004 thread.

I was hoping some of those who watch less recent movies and tend to like a lot of older films (like Adam or Lew for instance) might be potential contributors.

If there was a way for me to go back and change my title for this thread, I would. I think it may be misleading as it is now. The idea should read more like:

"Track All Types of Films You Watch This Year (2005 Edition)". Some may mistakenly think it's primarily or exclusively about "tracking all the 2005 releases you see".

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I do prefer the 200x threads to be focused on films from 200x, at least that's how I like to use them; that's the info I like to exchange there.

When I see new posts I look to see what people are saying about a film from that year, etc.

As I already said, a lot of that info can be found in the review/discussion thread of specific films, but the 200x makes for a nice, general, what's up lately kind of thread summerizing the films from that year.

To me it was really expanded later into more of this catch all.

So if Joe wants to run a "My 200x Viewing Diary" thread where people just share their general viewing habits, while we still maintain a "200x Films" thread then I see no problem there.

I just wouldn't want to sift through "I just watched Logan's Run and Godfather 2" to find out what someone thinks about the latest releases or films from the current year (or year 200x for older threads).

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
It has been stated before, but many of the people in Jason's annual Film List threads list EVERY movie they've seen that year, regardless of when it was released (there are examples of this on almost every page, starting with the very first list--Jason's). So some of us "bigger film dorks" are quite happy with the current format.

Joe, if you really want to have two seperate threads with two seperate lists that can easily be combined into one, might I suggest changing "Track All Types of Films You Watch This Year (2005 Edition)" to "Non-Current Films: Lists & Discussions" or something along those lines?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I've been participating in Jason's 200x threads since 2001 and have always included every first-time watched film in the same list regardless of release year.

My current 2004 list includes listings for 134 2004 films, 120 2003 films and 340 films for previous years.

For simple listing purposes, I don't really need 2 separate threads.

I can't imagine a lot of older-movie discussion that wouldn't fit nicely into several existing threads such as 'Expanding Horizons'.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The Bottom Line for me, really, is that I guess the moderators will have to decide which way this will go. Do they want two threads, or just Jason's? So far these first two pages haven't gone the way I intended, but it's really not worth any more input from me at this point. Just let me know what the final answer is going to be. If it turns out to be left to Jason's standing tradition, that's cool; but I'd like to ask Jason that perhaps he might change his opening post a little from now on, to make it clear that ALL types of film lists are welcome. That might clear up any confusion and also lure more fans of older movies to participate.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Again, if people don't like this idea, why just not stay out of it? Certain people who have posted here sent some ugly e-mails when we added our lists to the other thread and they went as far to tell us why our lists were wrong.

Please, just don't take part in it. I don't personally see the harm of letting the thing go for a year and see how it works out. If you take a look at the link I posted in the second spot here, no where in Jason's list is it like that. People are keeping an alphabetical listing a the films they see in 2004. Then, perhaps an alpha listing of other stuff. However, when we posted the rules, you made it quite clear that we must have a special section for films made in 2004. Hense, those lists are mainly to show others what you are seeing, in films from the year 2004.

And Bill, this really isn't a discussion thread. Like other threads, if people prefer to talk about their list or post when they update the list, that's fine. However, it's basically a place to keep track of the films. HERE is another site where you can get an idea of what this is.

The point is to keep dates of everything you watch. Five years from now you can look at the list and see what you watched on 11/03/04. Here's a better look:

12/09/04

Barnyard Battle, The (1929) B
Plowboy, The (1929) B
Mickey's Choo-Choo (1929) B+
Jazz Fool, The (1929) B-
Jungle Rhythm (1929) A-
Wild Waves (1929) B+
Passionate Plummer, The (1932) :star::star::star:
What, No Beer? (1933) :star::star::star:

12/10/04

Just Mickey (1930) B-
Barnyard Concert, The (1930) B
Cactus Kid, The (1930) B
Bowery Blitzkrieg (1941) :star::star::star:
Lady of Burlesque (1943) :star::star:
htf_images_smilies_half.gif

12/11/04

Tarzan and the Green Goddess (1935)
:star:
Tarzan and the Trappers (1958) :star::star:
Fighting Caravans (1931) :star::star:
Farewell to Arms, A (1932) :star::star:

Casper the Friendly Ghost (1945) A
Wild Ride, The (1960) :star:

Shane (1952) :star::star::star:

Squaw Man, The (1914) :star::star:

Shindig, The (1930) B
Picnic, The (1930) B+
Traffic Trouble (1931) B
Castaway, The (1931) B+
3 (2004) :star::star::star:

12/12/04

Near Dark (1987) :star::star::star:
MST3K: Teenagers from Outer Space (1959) B
Black Sunday (1976) :star::star:

Deep, The (1977) :star::star::star:
Paper Moon (1973) :star::star::star:

Daisy Miller (1974) :star::star::star:

12/13/04

Police Academy 6 (1989) :star::star:

Police Academy: Mission to Moscow (1994)
:star:
Albuquerque (1948) :star::star:

Manchurian Candidate, The (1962) :star::star::star:

Sssssss (1973) :star::star:

12/14/04

Smokey and the Bandit 3 (1983) :star:

Twelve O'Clock High (1949) :star::star::star:
Shrek 2 (2004) :star::star::star:
Fishin' Around (1931) A
Beach Party, The (1931) A-
Barnyard Broadcast, The (1931) B
Mad Dog, The (1932) A-
Barnyard Olympics (1932) A
Musical Farmer (1932) B
Trader Mickey (1932) A-
Wayward Canary, The (1932) B+
Mickey's Pal Pluto (1933) A-
Mickey's Mechanical Man (1933) A-
Pork Chop Hill (1959) :star::star::star:
Scorsese on Scorsese (2004) :star::star::star::star:

12/15/04

Haxan (1922) :star::star::star::star:
Penalty, The (1920) :star::star::star:

As you can see, this here will take up a lot of space and members of the 2004 list have already said our list really doesn't fit there. Also, when Jason restarts his thread, I'll be on page 1 and I'm not going to see any 2005 movies until later in the year when I receive screeners of them. I will not be going out of my way to see 2005 movies so the point of his thread doesn't really fit in with what I do.

I've got about 700 more titles to add to that list above and I really don't think it fits in with what you guys are doing. Again, just sit back and let the few here try it. If it doesn't work then we'll cut it out. However, I started this a few years back and everyone was against it. I did it anyways and within a month more and more people kept jumping in and today, all these years later, just about every other site now has one of these "Track the Films You Watch".

We are tracking every movie we watch and we're not highlighting 2005 films because we could both care less. Out of 700+ movies, around 25 have been from 2004. I think out of 300 he has around 5. The lists just don't fit so let's just give this one a try.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You didn't really watch 15 movies yesterday, did you?! At least 5 of them look like full lenght features!

--
H

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

But since most people do that already, I don't think there's any confusion. Besides, if you want to list the date that you watch movies on in Jason's thread, I'm sure you can. I've been participating since 2001, and have always listed first-timers in addition to the new films of the year.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Are we saying that certain threads are proprietary and can only be started by a certain member?

For instance, for the past three years a different person has started the BOXOFFICE thread. I started it last year and hopefully Terry RL will start it this year.

I like Jasons threads and have read them alot, although I rarely post in them.

But I think that anyone should be allowed to start any thread within the guidelines of the forum. If two threads are too similar, the first one started should be alowed to remain open.

In the end, the Moderators will decide which one stays open, but I say first come, first serve, and we are close enough to 2005 for this thread to be valid, imo.

I'm, in Joe. And in you'rs too Jason.;)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

The good thing about insomnia is that one hour a sleep can keep you up for the rest of the day. I'm a freakin' film dork but last Thursday I was at BB buying my normal 5-10 DVDs a week and it hit me that I've got at least 100 movies on my shelf that I had never watched. Friday I go into work and they offer anyone three weeks off if they want it. Well, that hit me as a great chance to catch up on everything I haven't seen since I'll be getting more "new" films for Christmas.

Those 15 in one day is a bit misleading since ten of them are shorts running around 7 minutes. However, I have watched around 8 in a day and after the three silents on TCM tonight starting at 8PM, I'll have eight features for today. What do I do?

Since I don't have to work I'll watch two at midnite. Those will be over around 3AM so I'll go to bed and get back up at 6AM and start watching again. I'll take a 20-30 minute nap here and there and that's how I knock down so many a day.

A word of caution though, make sure the wife/girlfriend is okay with this before trying. :)

MATT---Still, two different things so let's give this a try and see if it works. If it's okay with the mods, we can have this closed sometime and we'll start an official thread closer to the new year. This thread has gone a bit off topic plus it looks nicer if everyone has their list on the first page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks