What's new

2005 Film List (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
George Lucas' Star wars Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith - :star: :star: :star:
Mike Bender's The Upside Of Anger - :star: :star: :star:

These two films and their ratings speak for themselves.

~Edwin

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Added Oldboy - B+, I'll put some comments in the indie thread if I get around to it, though I pretty much agree with the existing reviews there, ie. a mostly riveting film with a problematic ending that leaves something of a bad taste.

Madagascar is a typical PDI film. Loud and brash, hyper cut and obnoxious to try to hide the thinness of the story. The characters exist more as toned down versions of their voice actor's schtick than full-fledged filmic beings. And it tries to substitute pop culture references for good comedy writing. It's occassionally amusing and displays a bit of heart when it isn't trying to beat you into a stupor trying to be funny. A little better than the soulless profit-mongering machine that was Shrek 2. C+

My kids enjoyed it but weren't overly enthusiastic.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Madagascar
7.5 of 10

The weakness is mostly in the 4 main characters. They just aren't funny often enough and generally don't have a lot of chemistry. Much of their parts feel forced.

However the penguins, monkeys and lemurs are all good for some great laughs in the supporting parts (sans the "I Like to Move It" song) and that's enough to get your afternoon's worth of fun out of the film.

I just wish more of the main stuff had been done as well. It reminds me of Ice Age a bit in that same lack of energy and soul (again, other than John Legz. sloth and the squirrel).

Elektra
4 of 10

It's cool to see her in action and in many ways the film was a better action flick than Daredevil, but its just a semi-template story that brings it down and keeps it from really entertaining. The film just lacks any real "wow" moments to it. It wasn't bad in a "I hate this crap" way, more in a "ho hum" way.

I've now seen a whopping 8 2005 films so far. Great year.:thumbsdown:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A few festival flicks that recently got release dates:

Twist of Faith - 7/1
Pretty Persuasion - 8/12
Green Street Hooligans (formerly Hooligans) - 9/16
MirrorMask - 9/30
The Ordeal - 10/21
Sarah Silverman: Jesus Is Magic - early November
The Matador - 11/18

...and keep an eye out for The Aristocrats on 7/29!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Definitely can't wait to see The Aristocrats. Also Ingmar Bergman's Saraband has finally been picked up after 3 years. Sony Pictures Classics is putting it out starting July 5th.

Added:
Cinderella Man - B+ (I don't think much of Howard as a director, but the film works because of the wonderful performances and the story being told)

Howl's Moving Castle - A- (While not up to the standards of his best work, it's easily the best "2005 release" I've seen so far)

Land of The Dead - B+ (I should put something in the thread, no where close to as good as the other 3 Dead films or the remake because the human characters come up short and surprisingly, so does Romero's direction, but certainly delivers in the zombie action and mayhem departments)

High Tension - C (Standard slasher with a few good moments, but marred by stupid "twist" and a low quality dub)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Batman Begins
10 of 10

I loved it. My favorite of the year so far. Full review in the official review thread.

Assault on Precinct 13
4 of 10

There were some good performances and the makings of a good film, but unlike the original this film just goes too Hollywood despite reigning it in at times.

War of the Worlds
9 of 10

The first hour or so is so strong that it makes up for the more cliched final act. It went from being one of Spielbergs best ever to just a solid effort in a matter of about 25 minutes.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Last Updated: 04/13/06
Criterion Used: Oscar Eligibility
Number of Films Seen: 24

The top ten so far:

1. Good Night, and Good Luck.
2. A History of Violence
3. Batman Begins
4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
5. In Her Shoes
6. The World's Fastest Indian
7. Lords of Dogtown
8. Syriana
9. Crash
10. Capote

Best of the rest, in order: Brokeback Mountain, Jarhead, North Country, Downfall, Cinderella Man, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, Two For The Money, The Ice Harvest, Sin City, Walk The Line, Howl's Moving Castle, The 40-Year Old Virgin, Left of the Dial, The Perfect Man

Rob

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Last Updated: 01/29/06

Latest Seen:

Total Film Count: 54
  • 2005 Theatrical Releases: 27
  • Pre-2005 Theatrical Releases: 27

[c]2005 Theatrical Releases[/c]

Film / Star Rating / MPAA Rating / Director(s) / Date Viewed (Venue & Additional Viewing Info in Parentheses)

Batman Begins / :star::star::star::star: / PG-13 / Christopher Nolan / 06/15/05 (RKVS)
Bride & Prejudice / :star::star:½ / PG-13 / Gurinder Chadha / 09/26/05 (RENT)
Brokeback Mountain / :star::star::star:½ / R / Ang Lee / 12/24/05 (RKSV)

Capote / :star::star:¾ / R / Bennett Miller / 01/20/06 (RKVS)
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe / :star::star::star:¼ / PG / 12/09/05 (RKVS)
Crash / :star::star: / R / Paul Haggis / 09/26/05 (RENT)

Downfall (Der Untergang) / :star::star::star: / R / Oliver Hirschbiegel / 10/12/05 (RENT)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire / :star::star::star:¾ / PG-13 / Mike Newell / 11/18/05 (RKVS)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy / :star::star::star: / PG / Garth Jennings / 10/02/05 (DVD)

King Kong / :star::star::star::star: / PG-13 / Peter Jackson / 12/14/05 (RKVS)

March of the Penguins / :star::star::star: / G / Luc Jacquet / 07/30/05 (RKSV)
Memoirs of a Geisha / :star:¾ / PG-13 / Rob Marshall / 12/29/05 (RKSV)
Munich / :star::star::star:½ / R / Steven Spielberg / 12/23/05 (RKSV)

The New World / :star::star:½ / PG-13 / Terrence Malick / 01/29/06 (RKVS)

Red Eye / :star::star:¾ / PG-13 / Wes Craven / 08/24/05 (AMCSP)
Robots / :star::star: / PG / Chris Wedge, Carlos Saldanha / 03/17/05 (COBBD)

Serenity / :star::star::star:¾ / PG-13 / Joss Whedon / 09/30/05 (COBBD)
Sin City / :star::star::star:¼ / R / Robert Rodriguez, Frank Miller, Quentin Tarantino / 04/01/05 (RKVS)
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants / :star::star::star: / PG / Ken Kwapis / 01/18/06 (DVD)
Sky High / :star::star::star: / PG / Mike Mitchell / 07/31/05 (RKSV)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith / :star::star::star::star: / PG-13 / George Lucas / 05/19/05 (RKVS), 12/03/05 (DVD)
Syriana / :star::star:¼ / R / Stephen Gaghan / 12/12/05 (RKVS)

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride / :star::star::star:¼ / PG / Tim Burton, Mike Johnson / 9/23/05 (RKVS)

The Upside of Anger / :star::star:½ / R / Mike Binder / 04/06/05 (RKVS)

Walk the Line / :star::star::star: / PG-13 / James Mangold / 12/08/05 (RKVS)
War of the Worlds / :star::star::star:½ / PG-13 / Steven Spielberg / 07/01/05 (RKVS)
Wedding Crashers / :star::star:¾ / R / David Dobkin / 08/02/05 (RKSV)

[c]Pre-2005 Theatrical Releases[/c]

Alfie (1966) / :star::star:¾ / PG / Lewis Gilbert / 08/08/05 (TCM)
Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera (2004) / :star::star::star: / PG-13 / Joel Schumacher / 02/05/05 (COBBD)

A Few Good Men (1992) / :star::star:¾ / R / Rob Reiner / 06/25/05 (TCM)

The Children's Hour (1961) / :star::star::star: / NR / William Wyler / 07/27/05 (TCM)
The Cooler (2003) / :star::star::star: / R / Wayne Kramer / 09/29/05 (RENT)

Dark Water (Honogurai mizu no soko kara) (2002) / :star::star:¾ / PG-13 / Hideo Nakata / 10/21/05 (RENT)

Girl With a Pearl Earring (2003) / :star::star:½ / PG-13 / Peter Webber / 09/29/05 (RENT)
The Great Mouse Detective (1986) / :star::star::star:¼ / G / Ron Clements, Burny Mattinson, Dave Michener, John Musker / 11/12/05 (DVD)

Hotel Rwanda (2004) / :star::star::star:¼ / PG-13 / Terry George / 01/07/05 (AMCSP)
House of Flying Daggers (Shi mian mai fu) (2004) / :star::star::star:½ / PG-13 / Zhang Yimou / 01/14/05 (COBBD)

I Capture The Castle (2003) / :star::star:¾ / R / Tim Fywell / 10/02/05 (RENT)
Inuyasha: The Movie - Affections Touching Across Time (Inuyasha - Toki wo koeru omoi) (2004) / :star::star::star: / NR / Toshiya Shinohara / 08/19/05 (DVD)

Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949) / :star::star::star: / NR / Robert Hamer / 06/09/05 (TCM)

Million Dollar Baby (2004) / :star::star::star:½ / PG-13 / Clint Eastwood / 01/24/05 (AMCSP)
Mona Lisa Smile (2003) / :star::star: / PG-13 / Mike Newell / 10/05/05 (RENT)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1974) / :star::star::star::star: / PG / Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones / 09/17/05 (DVD)

Robin and Marian (1976) / :star::star::star: / NR / Richard Lester / 07/27/05 (TCM)
Rocky (1975) / :star::star::star:½ / PG / John G. Avildsen / 11/05/05 (DVD)

Shampoo (1975) / :star::star:¾ / R / Hal Ashby / 07/10/05 (TCM)
Sherlock, Jr. (1924) / :star::star::star::star: / NR / Buster Keaton / 06/26/05 (TCM)
Soldier's Girl (2003) / :star::star: / R / Frank Pierson / 09/24/05 (RENT)
Splendor in the Grass (1961) / :star::star::star: / NR / Elia Kazan / 07/10/05 (TCM)
Stargate (1994) / :star::star::star: / PG-13 / Roland Emmerich / 08/17/05 (DVD)
Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928) / :star::star::star:½ / NR / Buster Keaton, Charles Reisner / 06/26/05 (TCM)

Veronica Guerin (2003) / :star::star: / R / Joel Schumacher / 10/09/05 (RENT)

Wimbledon (2004) / :star::star: / PG-13 / Richard Loncraine / 09/28/05 (RENT)
The Woodsman (2004) / :star::star:¾ / R / Nicole Kassell / 10/03/05 (RENT)
__________________________________________________ __________

Rating System

:star::star::star::star: - Astonishing
:star::star::star:¾ - Excellent
:star::star::star:½ - Great
:star::star::star:¼ - Very Good
:star::star::star: - Good
:star::star:¾ - Above Average
:star::star:½ - Average
:star::star:¼ - Below Average
:star::star: Poor
:star:¾ - Bad
:star:½ - Dreadful
:star:¼ - Horrendous
:star: - Absolute Garbage

Theaters

AMCSP - AMC Sunset Place 24, South Miami, FL
AMCTC - AMC Kendall Town & Country 10, Miami, FL
CIN - Cinemark 20 at Festival Bay, Orlando, FL
COBBD - Cobb Dolphin 19, Miami, FL
LUC - Loews Universal Cineplex, Orlando, FL
RKVS - Regal Kendall Stadium 16, Miami, FL
RSB - Regal South Beach 18, Miami Beach, FL
UAF - United Artists Movies at The Falls 12, Miami, FL

Channels

A&E - Arts & Entertainment
ABC - ABC
HBO - Home Box Office
IC - International Channel
TCM - Turner Classic Movies
SCIFI - Sci-Fi Channel

Other Codes

DUB - Dubbed version of a foreign language film.
DVD - Viewed on a purchased DVD.
RENT - Viewed on a rented DVD.
WEB - Viewed online.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
updated my list with Herbie, mr and mrs smith, war of the worlds and howls moving castle

Joe Kamsan

Stunt Coordinator
War of the Worlds

All year I've waited for a film to captivate me and leave me enthralled. Now I can rest easy, at least until I see this again. Scenes of mass destruction and carnage that are the best effects I have possibly ever seen. There are flaws, but sometimes a movie makes such a profound impression that one is willing to overlook them. Excellent film. (A-)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
White Noise
5.5 of 10

Semi-interesting thriller that starts off with some good creeps and starts and then devolves into a silly ghost action film.

Wedding Crashers
7 of 10

A very funny film bookended by 20 minutes on either side that isn't nearly as funny, even dull at times.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Be Cool
2.5 of 10

A pretty poorly directed sequel with a script that while creative in combining characters and churning out the same formula in a different variation, often also feels forced along.

Still the films major flaw has to be the direction which just ruins scenes, misses comedic beats badly (cut on a good blow, don't just linger around till people stop laughing) and settles for takes that aren't always the best reading I suspect.

I could see the makings of a fun, albiet formula, sequal. The actors for the most part are cast well and even deliver when possible. It just needs to be shot and cut totally differently, period.

It's possible that the editor was also to blame for many of the problems as well. Looking at Kahn's work over the last 15 or so years you see a lot of failures, some of which I recall being specifically poor editing/direction (Evolution for one). Maybe the guy doesn't cut comedy well.

But then Gray only has the Italian Job remake as a truly solid film (Friday is iffy to me and had a lot to do with the cast as well).

Anyway, they threw 2nd rate production talent at this sequel and got what you would expect from that.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Monster-In-Law - :star::star::star:
35mm
08/02/2005

I couldn't find the official thread in a search so here's a quick review.

This film is a charming family comedy, Jane Fonda is in top comedy form very reminescent of the inspired lunacy of Nine to Five, and Jennifer Lopez does a fine job of matching her nut for nut. If there's a major disapointment to the film it's that it's really dull before Fonda comes on screen, and I'm still trying to figure out how Lopez was paying for a minimum $2500 a month Venice beach front 'apartment' on a dogwalker and temp salary. The other problem is the bland male lead is really bland, but luckily he's thrown out of the picture completely. Wanda Sykes is hilarious, but the cuts to her are occasionally very sitcomish--she never rises to Dolly Parton level. Very funny to see with an audience and it works very well at what it does, the second mother in law addition at the end is inspired. Sure it's a bit cheesy at the end, but you gotta have some cheese to get to the happy ending and any other ending than a happy one would be pretty idiotic filmmaking for this project.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to updating my list

July
3-Iron - B
Batman Begins - B-
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - B-
The Girl from Monday - B+
Hustle & Flow - B+
Me and You and Everyone We Know - B

August
The Aristocrats - B
The Devil's Rejects - A-
Grizzly Man - A-
Layer Cake - B-
Wedding Crashers - B

I've only seen 21 2005 films so far. Grizzly Man is the best of what I've seen.

I planned on seeing Saraband and 5x2 last night as well, but after Grizzly Man (at a different theater) my car wouldn't start and the rest of my evening was eaten up dealing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks