2005-06 NBA Season Discussion

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Casey Trowbridg, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

In terms of on-court behavior, Wallace is a whiner, a bully, leads the universe in career technical fouls, and is the poster boy for how not to conduct yourself. Sure, he's a great player, but there are far better players than him who know how to behave.

And what's with the guarantees? All it does is fire up your opponent and make you look like a total ass when you lose.

I think Detroit will still win the series, but now I'm not so sure that Dallas isn't the team to beat for the title. They have serious speed, size, and offensive firepower. It appears they can play a little defense now, too. Scary.

2. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I think guarantees are dumb for almost the exact opposite reason, actually...if you lose, nobody remembers it for very long (would anyone have remembered Namath's guarantee if the Colts had beaten the Jets?), and if you win, it's all "wow, what a great guy, he guaranteed victory and they did it." Pretty much risk-free for the guaranteer. I don't really buy the firing up thing either, in terms of how much these things affect your opponents' motivation, especially not in the sports with 7-game playoff series.

3. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Watching the Pistons/Cavs game, all I could think is "Man, these teams would be killed by a team that could hit an open jumper (aka Spurs, Mavs, Clippers, or Suns) and play decent defense (aka Spurs or Mavs.)" So many bricks yesterday.

The champ is coming from the West this year.

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Not to beat a dead horse, but doesn't "there's no way in hell they beat us in a series" sound like another guarantee? Why does this clown keep saying these things?

The Suns/Clipper game tonight was phenomenal. This has been an incredibly well-played playoffs (at least in the Western Conference) this year.

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

[​IMG] Maybe its because he believes it. I understand that in the politically correct way of things these days you are supposed to be quiet good boy, but at least he brings something to the series, because quite frankly the games have been not that exciting, so it gives us something to talk about. And this "clown" when he wants to is still one of the most un-guardable forwards in the game and has great defense, so I for one am happy he is on the Pistons as he is one of the main reasons they one the championship in 04'.

Also to me, this has a very 04' feel. With people saying that the Pistons had a nice year, but the champ will come from the West or Miami...I hope things have the same ending as 04'.

6. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Even though my team is out, I'm loving the playoffs this year. Tons of great series.

Now what was the most boring series is now the most intriguing due to the "guaran-sheed" as Reggie Miller coined it. The Pistons were throwing up brick after brick but the Cavs couldn't get the rebounds. It had all the makings for a grind it out win for the Pistons. This was a very good character win by the Cavs.

One thing for sure, when Lebron has his mindset to drive to the hole, there is nobody on the Pistons that can stop him. He needs to do it more and stop taking those stupid fadeaway 20' jumpers.

Now to go back to the TV to watch another great series: Mavs/Spurs.

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Hats off to the Cavs. Nice win, they wanted it more. Now the Pistons need to step up and win in C town. I know they can do it, the question is do they. They have been in the situation before over the last several years, specifically when they had an elimination game six in NJ after losing a heart breaker game five at home two years ago.

8. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I'm stunned by the Pistons' loss tonight. For most of the game, they got outworked and out-executed. Lots of dumb turnovers at big moments. I really don't know why it's all gone bad all of a sudden; this is their first 3-game losing streak of the season.

9. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

I swear, if I see freaking Mo Evans on the court before Tony Delk or Delfino one more time I am going to choke someone. He is a worthless piece of crap and has no idea how to move without the ball. If they lose, I will feel bad for McDyess, he wants it so bad. Quite frankly, Flip is getting out coached by a rookie coach too. Why leave Sheed on the bench for almost the entire fourth. First two games they lived by the three pointer, now they aren't even attempting them. They need something to get them going. What do you guys think? Think they win in Cleveland or the Cavs close them out and the NBA has the dream match up of Wade v James? The Pistons have seen this before:

2003: Pistons down 3-1 to tracy mcgrady and orlando, billups takes over and detroit wins the series

2004: Pistons down 3-2 after heartbreaking game 5 loss to new jersey, pistons take game 6 in NJ and come back home to win it

2005: Pistons down 3-2 to miami, win game 6 at home and pull out game 7 on the road.

10. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I was OK with Sheed being on the bench because McDyess finally showed up and had a terrific quarter, but it would have been nice if he had channelled that desire for a ring into showing up at any point in the previous 2.75 games. I must say that the Pistons got repeatedly screwed by terrible calls tonight, although I can't blame the refs for the Pistons' way too high turnover total, which was a bigger factor in their loss.

I'm really rattled now, which I wasn't before tonight. I think there's a pretty good chance that Cleveland will close them out in Game 6.

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Even Prince admitted that the team was playing "tight." Looks like the possibility that they could lose is sinking in and they are feeling the pressure. 'Sheed already put added pressure on them with his comments and now he's going to be suspended for the next game.

I find it funny that Brandon_T is going through what I went through when Evans was in Sacramento. He had early success with his hustle and I was like, "All right, an energy guy." Then he forgot he was a role player and started jacking up jump shots. I wanted him to only touch the ball if it was a dunk off an offensive rebound. Otherwise, KNOW YOUR ROLE![​IMG]

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Want to comment on a few things.

The Knicks are the biggest mess in sports and maybe in sports history. Just when I think they have run out of stupid ideas to employ they prove me wrong. I wonder how all the conspiracy theorists that say that the NBA wants to see the Knicks succeed are handling this? I suppose they'd say that the league is putting the screws to the Knicks to cover-up the conspiracy, but if the league wanted the Knicks to be bad, they could not possibly do a better job than ownership is doing on its own. Even if the league were conspiring against the Knicks they still wouldn't be as good at making this franchise bad as current ownership.

Regarding the guarantee, in this case had the Jets lost that game nobody would've remembered Namath's guarantee they'd all have been too busy talking about how the merger was off since I believe one of the conditions was that the AFL had to win 1 of those first 3 games for it to be official.

Wallace is well, he is what he is, but I'd hardly call him the most classless player in the league when Latrell Sprewell is still around having a hard time feeding his family on $14 million.

Some good series so far. I don't think the Heat will win the title and yet if Cleveland wins this series, I can't completely dismiss the Heat either. I'm still enough of an old-school believer that I find it hard to completely disregard a team with a dominant big man and while he may not be dominant every night anymore Shaq still has his moments.

But really, I'd say that aside from Cleveland Miami is least likely to hoist the trophy at the end of the finals.

I kind of want to see the Clippers win against Phoenix but not to the extent that I am cheering for them. I have 1 team and when they're out I don't have a fallback option that I suddenly start pulling for, but I think there is something apocalyptic about the potential of the Clippers in the Western Conference finals.

You've got to love competitive series!

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

And another great game in the West, as San Antonio won a nail-biter. Four close games that could have gone either way, that have fittingly been split. The difference in this series is the game 2 blowout by the Mavs, where the Spurs could not figure out how to deal with the insertion of Devin Harris into the lineup.

Right now, neither team has an answer to the others’ advantages on offense. Great stuff.

14. Haggai

Haggai Producer

San Antonio/Dallas really is leaving up to expectations, what a terrific series. They're certainly the two best teams in the playoffs as of right now.

15. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Great win for the Pistons tonight, now its back to Detroit for game 7. James is a hell of a player, but I really don't like him already getting the Jordan treatment, its really quite annoying that everytime he gets the ball in the fourth quarter he gets the whistle. His time will definately come, I have no doubt he will win multiple championships.

16. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Thankfully the Pistons woke up, and just in time. Really it was Billups more than anyone else who needed to wake up, along with Rasheed on offense, and they both hit big shots in the last few minutes. Sheed was unfortunately MIA on defense and rebounding, though.

And an impressive escape from Dallas for the Spurs, though who knows how much home court matters in this series, with every game coming down to the last minute regardless of whose floor it's on.

17. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I guess we "Witnesses" will be forced to await the second coming.

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

If Cleveland ever puts some talent around James, that "second coming" will be happening real soon. LeBron may be hyped too much for my tastes by the media, but there is no denying his incredible talent. Could you imagine how tough the Cavs would be if they could somehow add some quality to the backcourt? Iverson teamed with James would be scary.

19. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

20. Scott Merryfield

Supporter