What's new

2004 NCAA Football season (1 Viewer)

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
How would you all like to see the NFL adopt the BCS system to determine who plays in the Super Bowl. Most colleges played 12 or 13 games, so we will consider last week's NFL games as the end of the season.
I believe the NFL operates as a monoply. It perceives an advantage to the success and health of the league to enforce parity.

What incentive would Oklahoma, LSU, and Southern Cal have in sharing their revenue with SMU, Buffalo, and Idaho?

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
How stupid. When was the last time an NFL team started a season 13-0, or 12-0?
Ever played in a fantasy league? It never fails that the #1 or #2 guy gets ousted by the #7 or #8 guy. In the HTF league, the top four got beat by the bottom four. It was obvious the entire year that the top four were the best teams throughout the year; however, because the last four teams got that one more chance, they pulled out wins. Like giving a team another down, the odds significantly increase that they'll get a first down/score.

An extreme existing example of this type of playoff is the NBA - half the teams make the playoffs, so just play good enough to make the playoffs then start playing hard. It takes away from the value of the regular season.

To clarify my stance of the BCS - it stinks. A friend and I were talking before the release of the BCS and all; we were hoping that it /would/ be OU and LSU to show such a goof in the system. In theory, the idea is great; it's mathematical, laid out in (relatively) understandable form. It's not subjective as coaches' voting or sportswriters. Well, ok it is to the extent that its an "average of Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey, New York Times, Jeff Sagarin's USA Today and the Peter Wolfe rankings. The computer component will be determined by averaging six of the seven rankings. The lowest (worst) computer ranking will be disregarded".
Hrm. Well, it was worth a try. ;)

Now, down to brass tacks - what's this I'm hearing about Florida accepting the Outback Bowl before everything was settled? I know there were a few teams accepting bowl bids before the season was over but it conflicted with something in the SEC. I'm not sure, I just heard it in passing on a sports radio show today during work. From what I understand, they jumped on the Outback Bowl befre any other SEC team could be invited (?) - considering that Tennessee got the short end of the stick with the Peach Bowl (which I understand lost them almost $2mil).

Anyone hear about this?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's the second quarter of the GMAC Bowl, and I'm calling it. Miami deserved better than Louisville. They deserved TCU.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Teams from the MAC beating up on C-USA. And what happens? Louisville goes to the Big East while Marshall, a MAC power, gest C-USA upgrade. The MAC will never get any respect, and I think teams like Miami Ohio and company are going to keep getting screwed with a Motor City Bowl Bid.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Half time, Boise State 24, TCU 24. Not used to watching a nail biter.

Final Boise State 34 TCU 31. Very fun game to watch.
Blood is starting to flow in my face again.

Now it would be great for both teams to get an invite to the Mountain West Conference.

Hope BSU QB Dinwiddie gets a draft look on the opening day.

One close call over. Next we have to dodge the Nebraska A.D. bullet. Dan Hawkins and staff to Nebraska to coach the Cornhuskers. I give it a 30-40% chance.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Just got through watching this year's championship bowl game. Excellent game, and congratulations to USC. I look forward to watching them repeat as national champions when college football starts back up next fall.

Blu

Screenwriter
Anyone else for a playoff and against the BCS?

This whole thing has been a huge joke, especially after the USC game.

I'd love to see USC take on OU or LSU and actually play for a real championship and not a poll championship.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
So would every member of the USC team, and I'd wager, every member of whoever wins the Sugar Bowl. As screwed up as this is for SC, I'm now of the opinion that OU and LSU are really the ones being screwed over, not being given a chance to play the #1 team, and having a 'championship' that will always be tainted, not only by that fact, but by the fact that they'll never be able to prove that any of their #1 votes in the Coaches poll were because the coach really thought they were #1, rather than felt contractually obligated.

I'll admit I don't fully understand this so-called 'contractual obligation', but at this point the only thing I'm at all interested in about the Coaches poll is whether any of them will vote USC #1, and if so, whether that fact ever becomes public, or is squelched by the BCS.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
After watching USC dominate a good Michigan team, there is no doubt in my mind that they are the #1 team and deserving of the national championship, regardless of the outcome of the Sugar Bowl. It's too bad they will have to share the title, though, because of the screwed up BCS system.

Congrats, Trojans, on earning the true national championship.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
KSU gets to a big bowl and their star player decides to shaft them.. way to go.. I'm so proud of my U at this moment..

At least credit to Bill Snyder if he sits him or raises the issue; bowl be damned.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
USC had 9 sacks yesterday (Michigan only gave up 15 all season before the Rose Bowl). Their corners had a field day blitzing Navarre. Michigan had no answer to the USC defensive scheme in the first half, plus they got unlucky with that freak interception (ball hits Michigan's WR's shoe and bounces up for the USC guy to catch it and run it close to the goal line, which gets USC up 2 TDs in quick fashion as quick score).

Blu

Screenwriter
I believe that the "true champion" is still disputed since they will not be able to play each other.

Both OU and LSU played higher ranked competetion during the season than USC.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Both OU and LSU played higher ranked competetion during the season than USC
"Higher ranked" as in what the polls say, not necessarily what the competition was. It has been admitted that there is a West Coast Bias (as in biased against teams from the west) in the national sports media for college football. It is assumed that they play tougher, "real" football in the Big 12, SEC, ACC, etc. and that the PAC-10 is just filled with finesse teams.

Well #14 WSU didn't just outfinesse #5 Texas, they pounded them.

USC's loss to "lowly" California---well Cal just beat Va Tech (who had to rally after being down 3 TDs to make the score close) who beat Miami who beat Florida State.

Unranked Oregon had an early win vs. Michigan and just beat #20 Minnesota in the Sun Bowl.

Georgia was the top competition that LSU got double credit for beating twice. LSU also had Louisiana-Monroe, Western Illinois, and near-winless bottom-of-the-PAC-10 Arizona in their schedule.

At least USC lost to Cal on the road in triple OT, with several very makeable FGs missed by their kicker which cost them the game. LSU was beaten at at home by Florida (who was pounded by Iowa in the Outback Bowl and finished 8-5). OU was flat out embarrassed by KSU. Oklahoma's Quality Win BCS points (vs. Texas) would have been erased had the WSU/Texas game been in the regular season rather than a Bowl game.

Look, I'm a UCLA alum who HATES USC. A month and a half ago I was trashtalking to USC friends about how USC should pray they don't get Oklahoma because they'd be embarrassed. But now that I've seen the results myself, I rank USC right up there with the winner of the OU/LSU matchup. If they played one more game vs. the winner of the Sugar Bowl, I'd give USC at least a 50% chance of winning.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling that if you redid the BCS calculations taking the bowl games into effect, you'd find USC moving up. USC's competitors tanked the final week of the season, but have been doing well in the bowls (against stronger teams).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I've spent the day listening to local media on the Roberson deal; and now, I feel sorry for the kid. Apparently he picked up and took a girl up on a booty call at 3AM. ABC News reports during a bowl game that he was arrested - and charged - with a sexual crime. He was neither arrested, nor charged. In fact, it appears that outside of trying to cover up for themselves no legal ramifications were ever going to occur.

The kid did the wrong thing; but damn, if ABC blasted out during a bowl game that I had been arrested and charged with a sex crime when that didn't happen.. I can't think about how I would feel :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks