Russell Crowe - Master And Commander:The Far Side Of The World
Tom Cruise - The Last Samurai
Ben Kingsley - House Of Sand And Fog
Jude Law - Cold Mountain

===

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Winner:

OSAMA (AFGHANISTAN)
Barmak Films; United Artists/MGM Distribution Co.

Other Nominees:

The Barbarian Invasions (Canada)
Cinemaginaire Inc./Pyramide Prods.; Miramax Films

Good Bye, Lenin (Germany)
X Filme Creative Pool/Sony Classics

Monsieur Ibrahim (France)
Arp Prods./France 3 Cinema/Canal +; Sony Pictures Classics

The Return (Russia)
Renfilm; Intercinema Art Agency

===

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

Winner:

Charlize Theron - MONSTER

Other Nominees:

Cate Blanchett - Veronica Guerin
Nicole Kidman - Cold Mountain
Scarlett Johansson - Girl With A Pearl Earring
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill – Vol. 1
Evan Rachel Wood - Thirteen

===

BEST MOTION PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY

Winner:

LOST IN TRANSLATION
American Zoetrope/Elemental Films; Focus Features

Other Nominees:

Bend It Like Beckham
Kintop Pictures; Fox Searchlight Pictures

Big Fish
Columbia Pictures; Sony Pictures Releasing

Finding Nemo
Walt Disney Pictures/Pixar Animation Studios; Buena Vista Pictures Distribution

Love Actually
Working Title/Dna Films; Universal Pictures/Studiocanal

===

BEST MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA

Winner:

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING
Wingnut Films; New Line Cinema

Other Nominees:

Cold Mountain
Mirage Enterprises/Bona Fide Prods.; Miramax Films

Master And Commander: The Far Side Of The World
Twentieth Century Fox/Universal Pictures/Miramax Films; Twentieth Century Fox/Miramax Films/Universal Pictures

Mystic River
Warner Bros. Pictures; Warner Bros. Pictures/Village Roadshow Pictures

Seabiscuit
Larger Than Life/Kennedy-Marshall Prods.; Universal Pictures/Dreamworks Pictures/Spyglass Entertainment

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Wells had a article in his Wednesday column about that documentary.

Unfortunately, I don't get Trio. Maybe I should call and find out how much it would be to get that and Tech TV.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How does a film not even released get the most noms? Sounds fishy right from the start.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Nice to see this:

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – MUSICAL OR COMEDY
SCARLETT JOHANSSON--LOST IN TRANSLATION

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE – DRAMA
SCARLETT JOHANSSON--GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING

I have high hopes for her career. Though I have not seen Girl With a Pearl Earring yet, I loved her in Lost in Translation.

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Wait a minute. Is that right? Is Scarlett Johansson nominated for best SUPPORTING ACTRESS for Lost in Translation?

Is that a typo? Cause she's nominated for Best Actress already.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, even more fishiness. Nominated for both Actress and Supporting Actress for the same film. :rolleyes

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Would have been great to see Mary Fahl get noticed for "Going Home" from "Gods and Generals.":frowning:

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Scarlett Johansson is nominated for Best Actress in both the Drama and Comedy catagores for her work in "Girl with a Pearl Earring" and "Lost in Translation". She's not nominated in the Supporting Actress catagory.

As to how a movie gets nominated when it's not yet released to the public, these movies are screened for critics' groups (including the Hollywood Foreign Press) weeks (sometimes months) before their theatrical releases. This is how films that aren't in theatrical rotation yet are able to get themselves into contention during "Awards Season".

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
OK, I have to ask this. Why the hell everyone is congratulating me for my wonderful performance!! :D

Ok, seriously. What is this movie “Cold Mountain” that has gotten 8 nominations? I thought that there were not that many good and serious contenders for “Return of the King”?!! That’s twice nomination as ROTK. Do you think it is going to have many nominations at the Oscars too?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
"Cold Mountain" will probably get a lot of Oscar nominations. Say what you want about Miramax, but the Weinsteins know how to push their movies come Oscar time. I'd be surprised if it won any of the major awards, but that won't stop it from getting a bunch of nods.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Unlike the Oscars the GG don't have a large group of technical nominations (visual effects, sound, costumes, etc). The difference between ROTK and Cold Mountain is acting nods- ROTK didn't get any (Astin was the only possibility).

For comparion, Fellowship recevied 4 GG noms (the exact same four) and 13 Oscar nominations. TTT received 2 GG noms (picture and director) and 8 Oscar nominations.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

The producers/studio probably didn't kiss the collective ass of the HFPA enough. That's how you get GG nominations; they've very little to do with actual excellence or "best" performances/achievements.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The awards show are only a few hours away. Remember, since the Globes is not telecast live in all three time zones, this thread will be full of spoilers to those not able to view it live.

~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
The producers/studio probably didn't kiss the collective ass of the HFPA enough. That's how you get GG nominations; they've very little to do with actual excellence or "best" performances/achievements.
So let's see, what you are saying is that Depp and Murray's comedy noms, Crowe's, Penn's, Theron's, etc drama noms, Jackson's, Weir's, Coppola's, Eastwood's, and Minghella's directing noms, all of these have very little to do with actual excellence or being the "best".

Boy, just think of the GOOD films I have been missing apparently if these noms aren't really some of the best efforts of the year.

Just my annual disgust at the awards bashers who think it's a freaking affront to god when they don't see a 100% match on the noms THEY would select, as if only one person's taste is correct.

If you want to talk about A film being slighted a bit, about there not being enough room to recognize every great film, or about films getting overlooked because they are foreign, small, indy, edgy, or flat-out released at the wrong time, then I am more than willing to discuss the subject.

But if I won't sit here and listen to a list of nominees that adheres reasonably close to many critic's top lists as well as representing the general appeal to the film loving public (not simple masses, but the groups the follow film a bit closer) get blasted for being a total BS buy-your-way-in joke.

Keep in mind that when you say that you are directly stating that the nominees that ARE named are all unworthy crap with no critical appeal or talent.

It's just like the people blasting the Academy for being a bunch of bitter old men out of touch with reality, when in fact it includes all of those previous Oscar nominees. People like MG Harden or M Scorsese, P Weir or A Paquin...hacks to most people apparently, though I mistakenly thought they knew just a bit about making films and represented a rather diverse group of ages and backgrounds, not to mention being just a bit more even in the area of gender too.

The foreign press may be a group with a dubious background, and I don't consider the Globes nearly as vital as the Oscars, but to me the proof is in the pudding and in this case it's the nominees they choose. Generally their choices have been made up of pretty solid picks the last 5-10 years.

The process of voting CAN NOT BE PERFECT, ever, not even your version. It will NEVER be 100% "right" even if we could somehow find an objective way to evaluate the results.

Every year smaller films, especially foreign films released earlier in the year, will be overlooked when the awards roll around. So this year it's City of God or Whale Rider. I'm sure there are people who DON'T think their omission is a bad thing anyway. As long as what does get nominated isn't crap I don't find it too troubling.

BTW - my original point for posting was going to be some guesses for the evening. After seeing Mystic River and Cold Mountain I'd say:

Best Actor for Penn - GG and Oscars (Crowe and Law both present strong competition IMO)
Theron for Actress at GG and Oscars.
Zellweger for Supporting Actress - GG and Oscars (but I haven't seen the others yet)
Robbins for Supporting Actor - GG and Oscars (he has an almost lead role which always helps in the supporting category)

Comedy Actress - Johannson would be my pick, but I haven't seen everything.
Comedy Actor - Murray maybe, but Depp is strong. I would give it to Depp myself.

Director - Jackson, but I think this category is wide open with great efforts.
Score - Shore, but I also liked Yared's score too.

Anyway, a couple of hours focused on some of the best film and TV art from the last year, I love it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks