What's new

2003 Toshiba (1 Viewer)

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
Supposedly the 50HDX82's are no longer in stock at the warehouses, so what's out there is all there is now from Toshiba Canada's point of view...this is what my local retailer claimed when they called to inquire on the availability of the new "X83" models. I am holding off for the 51HX83 to see what it's got since the pricepoint is going to be very close between the two.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
BTW. you no longer stock cinema series, but was there a substantial difference in older models (yes I'm too lazy to look)?
It wouldn't be in my best interest to answer that, now would it?! Oh well, I rarely have my best interests at heart anyway! Side-by-side, you will probably see a difference whith an HD signal and less so with a DVD. Some people see the difference and must have the better set and some people see the difference but don't think it's worth the price premium. Obviously, I can't tell you which type you are.

Rick, the difference in price is entirely in the electronics. The CRT, optics and chassis are pretty much the same. I think the X93's have a button-less (touch) front panel, but I'm not sure about that one. That's obviously not a performance feature though.

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
JohnnyG:

Thanks very much for your input on this forum-I for one really appreciate your information and candor...you seem to have more information than even Toshiba Canada. Called them again only to be told they have no information available yet even though the HX83 is supposed to be available the end of this month or beginning of July. The Canadian Toshiba website at least now shows the 51H83 which is more than the U.S. site...this waiting for info is painful.
The CSR at Toshiba did tell me the HX93 would have a HD decoder built in but could not tell me the advantage if the customer (me)is using a digital cable provider(Shaw or Rogers)because the cable providers scramble their signals and using their decoder box is necessary. Appears no advantage to spending the extra dough for the 93 over the 83 as picture quality is my only requirement. The audio portion is handled by an external source. Can't imagine why the manufacturers spend any money for audio in these sets...I would prefer a monitor only. But guess the demand is not there.
Rick

Matt AR

Agent
FWIW, I spoke to the salesperson at Best Buy today, and the 57 inch LCOS is in the system with an arrival date in late August. He could not give me any pricing info, however.

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I have a kind of stupid question for anyone who has the new Toshiba 57" tv. could you tell me how high up the actual screen is from the floor. my parents are going to buy 1 soon and they are concerned about some furniture blocking the screen. I was wondering if they might have to have some type of platform built to raise the screen some.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Best Buy now has the 42H83 in stock. I just bought one...they're on sale until July 5th for $1244.99. I couldn't resist! :D

If anyone's interested, the 42 does not feature the new cabinet design the the 51H83 & 57H83 have. I think the cabinet is the same as last year's 42H82.

I can't give impressions yet either as I'm getting the TV delivered to my new house in August.

-Dan B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks