What's new

2003 MLB World Series thread (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
But at least the Fox announcers seem to have a bias toward the National League. Can't we all just get along? :)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The DH is the most ridiculous thing in baseball next to allowing Fox to have broadcast rights and the Allstar game.
Aren't you forgetting interleague play (spit)?
The good thing about the Cubs not getting to the series is that the pennant winners haven't played each other during the year. Diminishes the series when that happens, I say.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Of course....If druthers were to be achieved, NO ONE would sing the Anthem, ever (with the exception of Vale, circa 1969 ;)). Much better as an instrumental piece I think. Anyone concur?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Back now from class and just in time to see another tight game! Mussina has had a history of tough luck in postseason while pitching well. Hopefully not so tonight.

Glad to see Jorge gun down Pierre to end the inning.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
A little Yankee mystique helps them dodge a bullett in the sixth! :)

Who says this World Series was a "dull" match-up?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
This is the ultimate sign of how disgraceful Fox's coverage has become. TWICE in the last minute the game coverage disappears and is replaced by commercials. Do they have six year olds in the control truck??????

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If the Marlins could beat Prior and Wood then I'm sure they still have confidence in the series.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I don't get it, why is it called "World Series" ?
Because the best baseball teams in the world compete in it. They just happen to all be from North America and play in the Major Leagues. If they wanted to have a "World Series" of cricket and not invite teams from Canada, the US or Mongolia for that matter, would anyone care? Baseball is basically a regional sport played in it's highest, most competitive form only in the Major Leagues (Japan has different rules and much smaller parks, it does not count). Also, ball players from all over the world (Japan, Korea, the Caribbean, South America and even Australia) compete in the sport at it's highest form only in MLB (no one ever left a succesful MLB career to go play at a "higher" level in Japan). Given this, why shouldn't we call the MLB championship a "World" championship?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't get it, why is it called "World Series" ?
Marketing hype from 1903 that stuck. :) And what Jeff said (which was even more true 100 years ago).

MLB has occasionally discussed a "Baseball World Cup", but the long season makes scheduling it difficult - would you play it in March or November, and then how many games would you need to play for the results to be non-random? Invite 8 teams (say, U.S., Japan, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Canda, and two of Australia, Venezuela, Korea, and Panama), and you're looking at another three weeks, during which time it could potentially be very cold in many of the potential host cities (Boston, New York, Toronto, Tokyo, Sapporo, and Soeul, for instance).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If they wanted to have a "World Series" of cricket and not invite teams from Canada, the US or Mongolia for that matter, would anyone care?
There is a cricket world cup played every three years. This year it was in South Africa (plus a few games in Zimbabwe and Kenya).

Canada was actually invited, along with Namibia and Holland. All three nations qualified via regional competition. These three sides were added to the 10 main international teams that play at the highest level and Kenya (recognized only for one-day cricket).

Canada famously beat Bangladesh, one of the international sides. Bangladesh is the worst team currently playing at the international level, but even so this win by Canada would be about like Rice beating the Detroit Tigers.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
See LewB, they do have a "World Series" of cricket and as a person who knows nothing about cricket, I do not care if Canada, the US or Mongolia was/wasn't invited. They could call it the "Universe Series" of cricket and I still would not care, nor would I question why the inferior cricket teams of the Andromeda Galaxy (assuming they are inferior, that is) are not invited. The point I was trying to make is that every time the World Series is played, a non-baseball fan has to raise the issue of how unfair it is to call it a "World" Series or otherwise questions the validity of the name. My question is - do non-baseball fans really care or are they trying to somehow denigrate the national pastime?

Edit: If this was a legitimate question and not meant to raise the "why don't they have teams from all over the world" question, I apologize. It just seems this question is always raised by tro . . . er, um, non-baseball fans in order to stir things up. Again, if it was not meant this way please accept my regrets (and see above for the actual anwer).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks