What's new

2003 MLB World Series thread (1 Viewer)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Great game all around. Beckett had an amazing series. Its kinda sad to see Clemons go out this way (one more year, Roger), but I would prefer this over a Yankee win. Maybe next year more than 10,000 fans will support the Marlins. I say congratulations to the Marlins, but the city of Miami and their fans should be ashamed for pretending like they support that team. Bandwagon losers.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think Roger is for sure done; and I think next year we'll see Greg Maddux retire, and then two of the greatest pitchers of the modern era will be gone. It will be a long time until we see a 300-game winner again after these two leave the game.

Beckett pitched an outstanding game, and McKeon, who took tons of flack before the game for going with a 3 day rest, showed people that his management skills were dead on. McKeon managed to get the best of his players, and he understood how to motivate them on to win. I started rooting for the Marlins early in the cubbies series, primarily because of him. It takes great skill as a manager to take a lot of young, talented players and convince them that they are as good as or better then other players with more experience. McKeon did a fantastic job of making his players believe they were in ever game, no matter how they trailed; even in games they lost, the Marlins stuck with it and played hard on every play. That's the sign of good leadership. It's good to see him get a ring. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This is the second year in which a team with a much lower payroll won the championship, so all that talk about money being the end all to a championship goes down the drain. It's about having the correct pieces to the puzzle which doesn't necessarily mean spending the most money is the correct way to go.
Naturally you have to be smart too—take my Rangers with their payroll and last place finishes.

Still the Yankees were in the series again, something that all of the other American League teams can only wait ‘til next year.

Great job by the Marlins, especially Beckett in this game.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Still the Yankees were in the series again, something that all of the other American League teams can only wait ‘til next year.
I think Buffalo Bills fans would disagree with that. Making it to the big game means nothing unless you win. All it proves is that you were the best of all the losers ;)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I say congratulations to the Marlins, but the city of Miami and their fans should be ashamed for pretending like they support that team. Bandwagon losers.
Could you blame the fans after the owner dumps all the players from their last championship team to save money? Now that is something to be shameful about.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
the city of Miami and their fans should be ashamed for pretending like they support that team. Bandwagon losers.
Just because a team can't sell out games doesn't mean they don't have real fans. And can you name any team that wins a world series that doesn't have band wagon jumpers?????

I was at the game last night and heard a LOT of 'supposed' Yankee fans wanting to leave the game early. There was one guy who was jumping up and down the whole game and trying to get everyone into it. He was even busting on the guy behind him because by the 7th inning he wasn't as excited as when the game started, but by the 9th inning, the guy (who was busting stones) left!!! :eek: I saw a lot of people who left ealry. Not to berate the real Yankee fans, but you have to assume these fans (who left early) were merely bandwagon jumpers who immediately throw in the towel when thier team starts to play bad.

On the other side, I did see one real Yankee fan who totally went off on his girlfriend for suggesting that they leave early. :D He yelled "Don't EVER say those words around me again!" :laugh: - It was great. She was definitely a badnwagon jumper.

So I'm sure there are a lot a 'fake' Marlins fans out there, but to call them all losers when you know there are plenty of 'real' fans is not a fair assessment.

Every team has bandwagon jumpers. Don't judge all the fans for the actions of those who pretend to be fans.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Say what you will about the money issue, that the Marlins beating the Yankees is proof that lots of cash doesn't buy a championship BUT...

The Yankees will be able to do whatever they need to retool and make another run next year.

Will the Marlins be able to afford Ivan Rodriguez? The NLCS MVP?

This is the issue. Unless a small market team has a lot of quality young players who won't become free agents for another 5 years, it's a struggle for them to *keep* the guys who helped them win in the first place.

Go back to Montreal in 1994. Tell me that franchise wouldn't be drastically different had they had the money to keep all of those stars on their roster.

Oh yeah, congrats to the Marlins. Thank you for beating my least favorite team of all time.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The Yankees will be able to do whatever they need to retool and make another run next year.
Just like the Mets and Rangers do every year.

The disadvantage of having a high payroll is that you can't use it as an excuse when you lose.

Is Miami really a "small" market?

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Mark

The big difference between the Yankees of recent times and the Buffalo Bills looks something like this:

Yankees 4
Bills 0

;)

The four championships definately made it easier for me to be philosophical about the 2001 and the 2003 WS. The 2001 Series loss was more painful for me, only because the Yanks were so close to closing that thing out.

This time, I'm more bummed about the end of baseball. This postseason was so great, I'm really going to miss it until next season rolls around.

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Mark

My guess is that George will not go into a firing frenzy after this loss. Could be wrong, because George is unpredictable, but that's my feeling.

Now if they had lost the to the Sox, that's a whole different story. :)

George is a nut, and I wouldn't want to work for him, but noted Yankee-hater Rob Neyer correctly pointed out in his column on espn.com a few years back that the notion that the Yankees win DESPITE George is absurd. His madness and obession with winning is a huge part of the success of the team. He's a direct descendent of Col. Ruppert and Dan Topping.

In a sense, he is the perfect fit for New York because he wants to win just as badly as the fans do. Maybe more.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

I would be a liar if I said I wasn't happy to see the Yankees lose. I am a Sox fan, but my Yankee disdain PALES in comparison to my love for baseball and the Sox. I like to think I am a true baseball fan noting that Manny Ramirez acted like an absolute jerk throughout the playoffs. I think David Ortiz enjoys watching his home runs a little too much, and I think the Sox bullpen wearing "Lilly" on their backs was completely tasteless.

That being said, I'd like to say that it was even more tasteless to blast "New York, New York" continuously over the Yankee Stadium PA system while the Marlins were celebrating and conducting their post-game interviews.

Congratulations to the Marlins. I have no problem with the fact that they have won 2 WS in their short existance. I hope it serves as a wake-up call to the Sox owners that developing young players and particulary pitchers is a recipie for success.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks