What's new

2001 SE in the works!!! (1 Viewer)

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Yep. Honestly, at first I enjoyed 2010 more than 2001, but I think that's mainly because I wasn't in the mood to ponder 2001's deeper ideas. It took me 3 separate library borrowings of 2001 to make it through the film, and I preferred Clarke's novel (and 2010) at the time only because the reader is told what's going on, instead of the viewer making his own conclusions.

Since then I've watched it again, I've gained a better appreciation for the film outside of its groundbreaking FX. Greatest SF Film of All Time? No arguments from me, as I'd happily buy 2-disc versions of both films...

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
you're such a cynic.

2001: a space odyssey is at the top of my great film list.

I'm buying anything that improves on the previous version, no matter how good that previous version was.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I would be interested in both Strangelove and 2001. I have the most recent versions of both, but would be willing to sell them and upgrade if warranted.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, look on the bright side....

This time, Warner really could make these the best possible DVD's... Lolita, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon could finally be 16x9 1.66:1, for example. Kubrick archival material could be added to all of the films. If Warner purchases MGM, they could add Killer's Kiss, The Killers, and Paths of Glory to the set.

Also, one idea is to have a commentary for each film. For example, get Roger Ebert and Arthur C. Clarke to do commentaries for 2001. Original mono for all of his films, except for 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut (for obvious reasons).

...and I'm sure that putting them in keepcases would delight many. :D

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
wow! Too Cool.

I have the current version of 2001-but as someone here once mentioned-it looks like the film went through the 'Paint Box' Software program-the colors are much too boosted to my eye.

Lets hope this is toned down just a bit.

yes, I would REBUY ALL of the Kubrick films on DVD if 16x9 versions were created-either as 'Special' Editions, or as flippers, with the flat/standard screen version on the other side...

Britton

Screenwriter
Open the pod bay doors please Hal, I want to get in so I can buy a 2001 SE if this rumor pans out.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Don't fall for it...the transfer on the current DVD is pretty damn good, though far from perfect. But it's anamorphic. Another regular DVD? No thanks! Not when HD-DVD is what? 2 years away at the most? If the movie wasn't on DVD at all, or wasn't anamorphic, then sure, I'd get it in a heartbeat...but the real feast is yet to come...in full HD resolution. :)

-Dennis

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

HD-DVD has been "2 years away" ever since I joined this forum... Two and a half years ago ;) Don't let its eventual release influence what you buy today.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It would be great if the original Alex North music tracks were found and included as a bonus on this disc.

Neil

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
2001: A Space Odyssey was the first VHS tape I ever bought, way back in 1981 for the bargain price of $79.99 - and I was thrilled to have it. Bought a later version on VHS, the Criterion laser box, and twice on DVD (in the two Kubrick collections).

Warner knows I'm out here, and that's why we're getting one more DVD version before HD-DVD hits.

Sorry guys, it's my fault. :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
What is taking Mr. Briggs so long? I thought he could sense this type of thing. I'm almost sure his PM box is full by now.

I'm looking forward to this release. The current(latest) disc doesn't have a thing for extras sans a trailer. As I get older, my affection for the film increases. I don't know if the film itself could get any "better." It's art in every sense, and only our observations of it improve.

I was just only recently commenting on how well the effects have held up for 36 years.(!)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
There is no unrated version of Eyes Wide Shut. Threre's the version released in the U.S. and the one released in Europe. The latter had a rating there... adults only.

It would be absolutely fantastic if Kubricks widow allowed WB to go into his archives to see if there were any outtakes available. In the end, however, the film stands on its own and no amount of rejected sequences would make it better. Perhaps with the film spread over 2 discs they'll be able to increase the bit rate to avoid the EE in certain scenes.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

I glance over at the boxes full of letters from people who felt about Kubrick the way Kubrick felt about stationery, and then back to Jan. "His great hobby was stationery," he says. "One time a package arrived with 100 bottles of brown ink. I said to Stanley, 'What are you going to do with all that ink?' He said, 'I was told they were going to discontinue the line, so I bought all the remaining bottles in existence.' Stanley had a tremendous amount of ink." Jan pauses. "He loved stationery, pads, everything like that."

Read the rest of this awesome article here

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm here, Zen.

This catches me by surprise, but, when one thinks about it a bit, it seems inevitable that some people at Warner would realize the sheer significance of this title now that it's their property.

I want the new SE to be at least the equal of the Citizen Kane set. And there's a plethora of documentary material that should be available.

If this also spills over to extended treatment of Mr. Kubrick's other films, then bravo. We all want the unrated version of his last film, as well.

As for another movie being mentioned here, don't be expecting it to be paired in any way with 2001: A Space Odyssey. The Warner people know that the 1984 thing is not comparable to or anywhere in the same league with Mr. Kubrick's film.

I know only what everybody else here knows.

And my motor's runnin', baby.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Jack, what a week for you, huh? A 70mm experience and a pleasant little announcement.

Good news for all fans of Kubrick.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Yes....well maybe not exactly on par with Citizen Kane...I like some grain.;)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
If this comes to pass I'll be sooooo happy. To use an over worked cliche "I can finally retire my Criterion edition". Of course they are three years late. I mean they should have done this back in 2001 but if it was a question of access to Kubrick's archives I can understand.

Speaking of the archives, I was in Frankfurt back in June and saw a wonderful exhibit at the German Film Museum on Kubrick based on goodies culled from his archives. There were props and displays from all his films and some that were just on the drawing board including the never made "Napoleon" and his concepts for "I.A." There was a wonderful model of the spaceship "Discovery" in the foyer (doubt it was the original since Kubrick was known for destroying his sets and props so they wouldn't be used again). In the gift shop you could buy a manila envelope with "Wing Attack Plan R" markings. More info in English and German can be found here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks