What's new

2001 is Being Re-Released! (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
According to Link Removed article from Variety, 2001: A Space Odyssey will be re-released with 70mm prints to select cities. There arent' that many theaters booked to show it, but I'm sure many of us will make the trek to see this. I know I will!
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Matt_Fairwalker

Auditioning
I would like to see this film with all the footage that was cut for wide theatrical release way back in 1968. Unlikely though, because Warner Bros is as stubborn as Paramount at releasing films with additional footage.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I would like to see this film with all the footage that was cut for wide theatrical release way back in 1968. Unlikely though, because Warner Bros is as stubborn as Paramount at releasing films with additional footage.
Kubrick himself made the cuts during the first days of the film's initial Cinerama release, well before the "popular prices" wide release. Warner has nothing to do with any extra footage (which Kubrick kept and, reportedly, destroyed) - they only control the film's distribution now; it was originally produced by MGM.

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
[begin rant]
Great! This announcement comes only weeks after Toronto's only working 70mm theater closed its doors. Earlier this year, many were speculating that the 70mm re-release of 2001 would make it to Toronto. And of course I would have been first in line for such a screening.
But now, even if Warner had initially intended on bringing it to Toronto, that option is no longer viable. It is absolutely infuriating to think that North America's third largest movie market does not have a single 70mm theater!
frown.gif

[/end rant]
Cheers.
------------------
[ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
But now, even if Warner had initially intended on bringing it to Toronto, that option is no longer viable. It is absolutely infuriating to think that North America's third largest movie market does not have a single 70mm theater!
Not true. Cinesphere still routinely runs 70mm prints of films.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Uptown Theater, Washington, D.C. sometime in December. (And presumably ending its limited run just in time to make room for The Fellowship of the Ring. I might as well start looking for an apartment on Connecticut avenue.)
My first visit to the Uptown was for 2001, ten years ago. The 70mm print, struck in 1981, looked and sounded beautiful to me. The restored version should be even better.
My only warning is this: once you see this film on a screen like this, you'll never be able to bring yourself to watch it on video again, however magnificent your setup is. In the intervening years, I've been dutifully buying each new release of the film on DVD (MGM, Kubrick collection #1, Kubrick collection #2), but I've never watched any of the discs through. Somehow it seems wrong.
--Jefferson Morris

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Not true. Cinesphere still routinely runs 70mm prints of films.
More info please!
wink.gif
No one I've talked to could provide me with information regarding any future (or past) screenings in 70mm at the Ontario Place Cinesphere. With the exception of IMAX films, which technically are also 65mm, but that's not what we are talking about of course...
So any info you could provide about these routine 70mm screenings would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What if anything does this portend for the supposed SE dvd of 2001 rumored to be released before the end of the year. I've held off buying the June release to see if this pans out, but it's hard. :)
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
So any info you could provide about these routine 70mm screenings would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Ugo,
Here's some info for you. Check out the following link:
www.ontarioplace.com/en/cinesphere/schedule.htm#HollywoodHits
Recent films are presented in 35mm, as 70mm prints are no longer being created. However, "older" (early 90's and back) films are typically shown in 70mm.
I saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Lawrence of Arabia" there last year in 70mm.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
What if anything does this portend for the supposed SE dvd of 2001 rumored to be released before the end of the year. I've held off buying the June release to see if this pans out, but it's hard.
As far as I know, there has never been any official plan for an SE DVD of 2001 this year, just a lot of wishful thinking on the internet. If they ever do an SE, it's safe to say that it's a few years away. Buy the current release - you won't regret it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Our faith in humanity can be restored.
Los Angeles-area fans: Once the date for the Egyptian Theatre run is announced, be on the lookout for an invite posted here--I want SoCal HTFers to join me for a screening.
I've seen this little movie in 70mm a number of times. I can tell you that while there's nothing else quite like seeing a good print in 70mm, the current DVD is quite engaging--mesmerizing even. In the end, it's the film itself that triumphs.
This is good news.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If there are no New York dates scheduled before December, I'm getting on the train or in the car and getting myself down to D.C. to see it. I'm taking no chances on missing it in 70mm!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Peter: That's another thing I like about you! Whatever it takes to see a masterpiece the way The Great One intended, eh? JB
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link Andre! That's exactly what I was looking for. (Guess I'll have to keep checking it regularly and hope that a 70mm screening will show up...)
I saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Lawrence of Arabia" there last year in 70mm.
Well Raiders is a 35mm film, so any 70mm prints would have to be blow-ups, but still... Wish I had known that it was screening! Lawrence of Arabia in all its original 70mm glory did look amazing though. (I just saw it again at the York, before it closed last month.)
Cheers.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Absolutely we should set up meets! I will DEFINITELY drive to DC if I knew that fellow HTF'ers were there with me. An audience that will appreciate this film is exactly what would make a theater viewing exceptional.
When dates and/or locations have been confirmed we should set these up. As much as I would like to see this with Jack and hear his insight as one who experienced this from the beginning I'm afraid traveling to LA is just a little too far to go (but only by a hair!
wink.gif
). Nevertheless, DC is easily within acceptable driving distance for me and will have to do.
So, what say you folks within range of DC? I would like a general idea of the interest in doing this to gauge whether or or not I should start a topic re a meet when we know the details.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I would drive to DC to see this.
patriot.gif

Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks