What's new

$2000 to spend on speaker system... Help! (1 Viewer)

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
You might also find that a 5 speaker setup (vice 7 speakers) will suffice (since you dont have a deep room - just wide). The money saved can be put toward the 5.2 speaker upgrade.

Ben Mecham

Agent
Ok, here's the final verdict--
(BTW, I'm doing this all for a friend, it's his HT... nice when you can spend someone else's money on your favorite toys :) )
We just ordered the full Swan system from Jon Lane:
Front: 5.2
Center: C3
All 4 Surrounds: 2.1

Also ordered an SVS 20-39 PC-Plus

After all the online research I could handle, my conclusions kept coming back to the Swans. I'm amazed to see the great reviews and comments that these speakers have gotten. I literally couldn't find anyone that had anything bad to say about them! The only disadvantage we have come up with so far is just the 3 weeks of backorder that we will have to deal with. I'm not sure I can wait that long! :frowning: ... But this system is going to rule! Too bad this stuff isn't going in MY house...

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful comments!

-Ben

MikeNg

Second Unit
Ben,

Once it's all dialed in and you've had a chance to demo the system, do post your impressions. We'd love to hear what you think of the final product in the room.:emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
You should of told your buddy that there is a 6 month backorder, and have the speakers sent to YOUR house. :D

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...that is going to be a really nice system. That is pretty much what I'm leaning towards as well. The 5.2's over the 2.1's as mains...and all 2.1's for surrounds....

Ben Mecham

Agent
There was kind of a debate on whether to do the 5.2's or 2.1's as mains. I have seen several comments on the fact that the 5.2 is a perfect match with the C3, tonal and driver-wise. Plus, there will be more driver surface area, which, IMO, does tend to be more wattage-efficient and "stand out" -- for lack of a better term.

I will definitely post my experience once we finally have everything hooked up. The real bummer is the weeks of wait -- and I'm crossing my fingers I don't have to do a 100 hour break in or anything! ;)

Thanks again for your help
--Ben

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhhh...don't worry about that break in thing. My 2.1's sounded awesome right out of the box. I think the highs might have mellowed a tad but that may be my ears getting used to the detailed sound they put out.

The wait sucks! I'm waiting on some backorders as well...plus still deciding on getting the 5.2's as mains. If I do end up that route I will have almost the identical system as yours with the exception of the sub!

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
For me, I just dont like bipole/dipole speakers. I want a nice, flat freq response coming straight from the speaker. I find it easier to set up, establish a good sweet spot, and get the sound right with a standard (monopole?) speaker.

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, David. Seems like a good deal to save $150 just for the finish/cabinet. Unless there is some kind of sound quality features to the wood/finish used that I don't know about.

These might be a good set to go with my Phase Tech PC 40 Mark II speakers. I'm looking to add 2 surrounds and a center.

And what does everyone think about the C2 instead of the C3? Is the C3 worth the $150 extra?

Brandon

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
The C3 is an amazing center channel for the price....It would be worth 5 times as much IMO. I have listened to some very expensive centers and the C3 sounds every bit as good as the ones I tried out.

I think the C2 would be great for a smaller system...maybe bedroom or even a small living room etc.

I re-watched Pirates of the Caribbean last night and the C3 was a stand out! I always felt that movie had a poor mix in the duologue area....but the C3 made a huge difference over my Paradigm CC-370...it was like watching the movie for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks