What's new

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea DVD to have TONS of extras (1 Viewer)

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
People need somthing to complain about, even in the best releases. Just like all the complaining about Fox dropping their "5-Star" banner. I want the movie and the features, don't care about the cover. Vault Disney or not, it's a fine special edition, worthy of a place in my collection.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Cant wait for this one.

I agree. For me it is about content not cover.

But, the 5star thing was a drag only because they rereleased some of those titles without the same content (extras). Sorry, didn't mean to digress...

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well on the one hand, I don't give a damn what they call it as long as it's good.

Having said this, I do worry about this not being a Vault Disney title. Why? Well, why isn't it a Vault Disney title? I can only assume that in doing away with the line, they're probably going to have fewer good dvds like this. This one is great because it was developed when there was a Vault Disney line. Now that there's not one, we're likely to see films that would have gotten the good treatment to be colorized and pan & scanned like Absent Minded Professor, rather than made as OAR special editions.

Anyway, that's my fear, and why I think it's a bad thing that 20,000 Leagues isn't a Vault Disney title.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Again, i don't care what they call it as long as they keep releasing things this way: properly restored and presented, tons of extras. I've bought the VAULT DISNEY titles, and I assumed they would be big sellers: sentimental favorites, as well as great films..and Disney ANYTHING is usually very collectable. Keep 'em coming, I say...no, I plead.

James Reader

Screenwriter
What sold heavily on VHS doesn't seem as successful on DVD, and I"m not sure why
I guess it's because most of the general public would rather buy new films, than upgrade films that they already own.

And I'm sure the same is true for many of us on this forum to a lesser extent. I know that on the few occasions that the push comes to the shove I would rather buy a brand new title rather than a DVD on one I already own (unless it really is one of my favorites).

I assume the Vault Disney title wasn't really descriptive enough for the contents. Most of the public probably wouldn't even pick the box up from looking at the front cover. I imagine labeling the disc as a 'special edition' is more likely to encourage the public to - at the very least - pick up and examine the box, if not buy it.

That said, the box could still be branded as 'Vault Disney' and 'Special Edition'. And for added incentive a big sticker could be added to say something like '2 disc set with x hours of supplements' to keep everyone happy - collectors, marketers and the general public.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Here's why the disappearance of the "Vault Disney" title is disturbing: The Vault Disney line implied that we would get 4 loaded 2-disc sets of Disney's best non-animated films every year.
As you all know, the vast majority of Disney's live-action films from past decades get very poor treatment on DVD. First, Disney lisenced a number of films to Anchor Bay. Non-anamorphic transfers were supplied and supplements were almost non-existent. Imagine 2-disc special editions of The Black Hole or Island At The Top Of The World.
Then, starting last year, Disney began pillaging their vaults and releasing bare bones DVDs with mediocre to down-right terrible transfers, with questionable (at best) aspect ratios. Blackbeard's Ghost and The Absent Minded Professor come to mind.
These films are beloved to many people and the Vault Disney line promised a dramatic increase in quality.
The absence of the Vault Disney banner is annoying to compulsive collectors like myself, but it's the content that really matters. And the Vault Disney banner meant quality content.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Does that mean this dvd release doesn't meet your quality content description and therefore, you won't be purchasing it? By the way, I guess I'm a compulsive collector too with almost 1900 dvds in my collection and I will definitely be buying this dvd.

Crawdaddy

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
They're probably dropping the "Vault Disney" moniker for these two-disc sets because, to the average consumer, it sounds silly and smacks of something old-fashioned: "Oh I don't want to buy that one, it must be old. It says 'vault' on it. I wonder why they dug it up?" A package that says "Special Edition" is much stronger wording to the impulse shopper: "Wow - a Special Eeition. How much? I'll take it."

It's about the money, folks. Do you seriously think Disney would change the name of this series if they hadn't run it though a dozen or more marketing research tests? Obviously, Special Edition sounds more interesting than Vault Disney to the average consumer.

For us, it *should* be about the movie and not the packaging/labeling.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
For us, it *should* be about the movie and not the packaging/labeling.
As someone else more eloquently stated in this thread, it's not about the packaging/labeling (although that would be nice) as much as it is that they're discontinuing one of their best lines, which only rings bad news for the greater catalogue of live-action films still unreleased.

If Disney still plans to give this kind of treatment to at least 4 classic live-action films a year, then there's no complaint. Although a little uniformity would be nice too.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Does that mean this dvd release doesn't meet your quality content description and therefore, you won't be purchasing it?
That's quite a leap. No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I will absolutely be purchasing it. All I'm saying was that the Vault banner guarteed quality and content. Now we're back to hit-and-miss Disney. But 20,000 looks like a great release.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Of course, look what happened to the VISTA line (also Buena Vista I might add). Great line, with one of the best DVDs yet produced (second, to only FotR EE I'd say) regardless of your thoughts of the movie itself, and then the next release, Signs, was a single disc in a keepcase with lackluster extras and mediocre video. The next VISTA, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, will include a full frame version. A line of DVDs is only as good as it is maintained. Vault Disney had one wave of releases that were top notch, but there is no guarantee that they would have maintained that quality, or that the same level of quality cannot be met without the name.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Since I collect films and not packaging, they could wrap it in plain brown paper for all I care.

I can't wait to see this film in all its CinemaScope glory after so many years of P&S.
Amen.

If anyone has concerns about this title, packaging, or other future "vault" releases you might try directing your comments somewhere where it will make a difference (signature for details).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Actually I think the real reason why the term "Vault Disney" is not used for this release has to do with the fact that on the Disney Channel, they recently cancelled the series "Vault Disney" which was the showcase for classic programming and movies, and there was a good deal of uproar over this. Using that moniker for this DVD release would just call attention to that whole mess all over again (it's the reason why I no longer watch Disney Channel)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
What is the aspect ratio? Being an early CinemaScope film, isn't it really 2.55:1 rather then the listed for DVD 2.35:1?

Users who are viewing this thread