What's new

2-way or 3-way speakers?? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,
I tried to do a search but couldn't get anything on it. What's the difference? I'm going to upgrade from my sony floor speakers & sony surround & center. Is it worth the cost of going from 2 way to 3 way,
thanks in advance,
Luis.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The difference is the 2-way has a tweeter and a midrange and the 3-way has a tweeter, a midrange, and a woofer.

Remember there isn't a "right" choice in the two. The 3-ways will generally play deeper and more bass. They also have 3 components that have to blend with eachother so the sound quality can be reduced due to more internal components. (If the crossover components are cheap, it can really show)

2-ways are more simple, usually less load on the amplifier than 3-ways, not as much bass, but can be more detailed because it's only 2 drivers integrated and only 1 crossover point.

I'd say that if you have the power, and like the volume loud get the 3-way. If you are concerned with sound quality and not so much bass then look at 2-ways.

A 2-way with a subwoofer works too. That's 2.1 though and if you don't have a decent subwoofer, your bass may not go well with the 2-ways.

If you're upgrading your Sony speakers, I suggest trying a different brand like JBL, Athena, Klipsch, Energy, Polk, etc.. Upgrading Sony to Sony may not get you a whole lot.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Just to add to Chris’ note, going to a 3-way speaker from a 2-way is not necessarily an upgrade. There are plenty of ‘monitor’ and ‘reference’ speakers-suitable for 2-channel use without a sub that are 2-way speakers. And these are well-regarded by most critical listeners.

This is true also for HT use, although here the addition of a sub is usual.

Some lines even mix the two approaches, depending on the speaker. For example the Onix Rocket and Reference models are all 2-way, with the exception that they have one center channel speaker that has a 3-way configuration. And it is hard to draw a value conclusion even here. For example the least expensive center (RSC100 @ $349) has three drivers (two mid-range/woofers, one tweeter) in a 2-way configuration), the more expensive model (RCS200 @ $599) has four drivers (two woofers, one mid-range, one tweeter) in a three-way configuration and the reference center channel (Reference 100 @$950) has the three-driver, 2-way configuration.

So don’t upgrade just to go from a 2-way to a 3-way configuration. Do it because you want better sound. Decide what sounds good, regardless of 2-way or 3-way considerations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks